Going Against the Grain: Reg-Ass Maxx

LOL

I’ve played both now. I’m liking the hybrid. Sowwy.

I’m going to bring some anarchy to our regionals. But I can’t chose between Maxx and Whizz. Considering butchershop-heavy meta, what do you guys think will be the better choise? Whizz can rekt NEH’s asset economy, but Maxx can imp agendas to avoid bad-timed midseason, or imp midseason itself…
Also it kinda hurt having IHW going to the bin with Maxx ability in this matchup.

It’s better really that it goes in the bin rather than be on the bottom, then you can Deja Vu for IHW in a pinch.

What really sucks for MaxX is when you draw IHW but then your stack is empty so it doesn’t do anything.

4 Likes

A teched Whizzard build is probably where you want to be, you could add Plascretes and Utopia.

1 Like

I recommend going 2 IHW and 1 Plascrete in MaxX for this very reason. Also Plascrete is just great to have vs Butchershop. MaxX doesn’t ever seem to need extra draw when I’ve played her.

3 Likes

Run Ed Kim so you can just trash the traffic accidents and/or scorched earths

Play whizzard.

5 Likes

Whizzard plus imp, but which anarch doesn’t run at least 2 imps

1 Like

At the risk of going against the spirit of the thread, Eater MaxX absolutely crushes Butcher Shop.

1 Like

Yeah, it probably would do pretty well (never played against it, so I’ll have to take your word), but if you have to play against something like RP, I kinda think you just get crushed, so I’m not sure it’s a good all-around choice.

1 Like
  1. you are, there is another MaxX thread some where

2. Which eater MaxX deck are you talking about? Because I woudn even think about playing my Siphon MaxX deck vs. Butchershop. They only need 3 credits to kill you, versus the 6 it used to be. For keyhole there still is wraparound, so what exactly do you mean by crushing?

1 Like

You’re wrong, I crushed butchershop with eater-keyhole-siphon maxx. The key is to run 3x wanton D and hold all your IHW. Also rush with keyhole, you can easily win before they can do anything since their ice sucks and they can’t stop you.

3 Likes

Well he did ask what to play against Butcher Shop and I gave him a suggestion.

Any Eater MaxX deck that runs Keyhole and Wanton Destruction will crush Butcher Shop, because you can constantly deny them combo pieces. Wraparound is handled pretty easily with Parasite/Sucker or Corroder or Knight or Knifed or even Immolation Script.

For Reg MaxX, just slot a Plascrete. Between that and IHW, you should be good to go unless you get careless. Or if you’re REALLY worried about the Butcher Shop matchup, clear up a couple influence for Paper Tripping.

1 Like

I’m not convinced Plascrete is a great idea. Butchershop doesn’t have too much trouble assembling Scorch Scorch TA to kill through it, though I guess you have IHW too and can use Plascrete to ensure it gets hit.

My usual plan is to try to gain as much money as possible while denying them scores for as long as possible. Try to snipe one agenda without getting midseasoned, and then go for a tag floating Medium turn with Imp in play, usually seeing about 10 cards of a pretty agenda-rich R&D. I feel like that plan is about 50-50.

5 Likes

Yeah, a singleton like Plas ain’t saving you in MaxX. Wanton is more impactful, and useable v. all opponents.

3 Likes

This has been my game plan too. Hinges on getting early econ or medium pressure. Trying to decide if I want to re-slot my Wantons as a coping mechanism.

Today I learned, when playing RAM against Butcher Shop: if they get ahead on money and try to put you in a catch-22 by playing a Breaking News (so you either steal it and get midseasoned, or leave it and get tagged by them scoring the BN), you can save yourself by trashing the BN with Imp. I’m so conditioned to want to score points that it didn’t immediately occur to me to trash them instead.

Dropping Stimhack/2nd D4vid for Wontons also seems pretty appealing - though D4vid is pretty great against a deck whose primary ice are Wraparound and Gutenberg. I’d probably just keep the 2nd D4vid for the benefits in other matchups.

1 Like

I think I’m just going to be happy 50-50ing butchershop. I feel like what you need to do to get a better matchup just goes too far out of the way. Not convinced wantons is at all good.

Eater MaxX running 3 rarely loses to Butcher, and they go tag me.

Sometimes by turn 3 XD

2 Likes

Reg Ass went 9-1 for me in Philly. Deck is good. Only lost to @dashakan on 7-point CI.

7 Likes