Going Against the Grain: Reg-Ass Maxx

@Calimsha What do you think of first turn Medium, Run, Run, Run if they leave it open? Say you’ve got Kati but no Sure Gamble in your opener, do you always take that shot?

Probably not. Mostly because doing so would set me back too much and hinder my mid-game. The deck should be played like a toolbox shaper deck so you probably want to plan your 1 if not two turn in advance.

Yeah, this is basically it. You can rarely get it in early, (though you do if you can in some cases where you can make R&D free to run), it’s much better with Grimoire already in play, and you can usually find it when you need it.

thank you for writing the article. I still haven’t tried Maxx. If I may ask a couple of questions?

regarding legwork: have you found this useful? at first glance it seems your SoT’s may be taxed enough just trying to get one on board for a levy. I was wondering if a one-off of legwork is better than using the influence on a scavenge (to layer recursion) or another lucky find (to layer econ).

Regarding knifed: you explained you’re reasons why. My consideration is that Lotus field is 4 for Zu to break (same cost as corroder vs Eli except a sucker token may be used on Eli), Tollbooth is at best 3 (if you have the right tools in place), Viktor 2.0, and (sometimes…maybe) Inazuma…

Is this one of those things where it looks a certain way (spooned being better?) but it just doesn’t play out that way?

thank you

I played Reg-Ass MaxX at my league last night. I ran 47 cards, +1 Queen’s Gambit and +1 D4v1d, because I couldn’t. Three rounds of Swiss, I won all three Runner games (lost one with NEH, so 5-1 and second place overall).

tl; dr: I loved the deck. I previously played a Prepaid MaxX deck with regular breakers and really liked that, but I think this is more solid. I can see myself doing some tinkering around the edges, but the core is there.

Round 1, versus the Argus deck that took a Store Championship here recently. Fictional is a very strong player and we always hate seeing each other at local tournaments, but I gave that deck its only loss on the day at the SC (playing Prepaid Kate), so I more or less knew what to do / what not to do.

However, I didn’t plan on all of my recursion and Parasites going in the trash, which let him keep me out of R&D and his scoring remote with two Quandaries despite my very healthy economy (thanks, Kati!). Both code gate breakers were buried at the bottom of the deck. I poked HQ and picked up two one-pointers while he scored a False Lead and an Atlas with two tokens. I’d seen a SEA Source in HQ, but I didn’t have IHW. Uh-oh.

Finally, Zu shows up. I install a Medium and start going to town on R&D. He trashes the Quandary, and the new ice is a Data Raven. I’ve got Mimic and Datasucker, so I just take the encounter tag and break the sub, always running first click and then clearing my tag if I don’t find an agenda. However, after a couple of turns of this, I hit The Cleaners in R&D. I think about it and decide to take the tag.

At this point, I have 5 cards in hand, one of which is IHW, and he doesn’t have enough money for triple Scorch (7 credits). If I take the damage and it hits IHW, great. If I take the damage and it doesn’t hit IHW, I can draw up to 4 with IHW and clear my tag. But if I take the tag, his first Scorch has very good odds of hitting IHW.

I have one click left and 2 tags, so I click Kati just to make sure he spends a lot of money on his turn. He isn’t going to be purging virus counters, so I want him unable to rez any more ice after he attempts (and hopefully fails) to kill me.

His turn, he pops one Atlas counter and plays the first Scorch. I shuffle up and he hits IHW on the second card, so I lose 4 and then draw 3 – one of which is a second IHW (there were two left in a ~6 card stack). He trashes Kati, does something else (credit maybe?) and passes the turn.

The only ice on R&D is a Data Raven, I have a Medium with 4 counters on it and have only seen the top 2 cards of R&D, so I run R&D and win the game.

Round 2, versus Mark Yale Titan. I facecheck Enigma on R&D early, but have the Yog. I sense agenda flood, and lucksack topdeck the Legwork on the turn I’m ready to Parasite his HQ Ice Wall with Grimoire in play. Atlas and Geothermal, cool. He’s trying to get money, but I keep making him rez ice. I poke Archives, Clone Chipping a Corroder to break the Ice Wall, and find SEA+Scorch+Scorch along with a Posted Bounty. Good to know he’s given up on the flatline. Thanks, Kati!

I econ for a little bit, then install Medium and win on R&D.

Round 3, versus asset spam EtF. This is our league’s newest player, but he’s here with me at table 2, so anything can happen. He installs Marked Accounts, Private Contracts, Adonis Campaigns… but I have Imp in my opening hand and he doesn’t have much ice, so I keep him poor by trashing the good assets (Adonis) and Imping Hedge Funds from R&D. I Queen’s Gambit a Private Contracts early (the chickenshit way, though, I checked it first), but after that I only have Daily Casts for econ, which are just barely keeping me afloat; if the game is going to go long I’ll really need a Kati soon (one has already gone in the heap). However, I again sense agendas in HQ, so I poke it – he rezzes Rototurret. Rezzing Roto for EtR and trashing a Datasucker? Yep, flooded. I Parasite the Roto, but don’t have Legwork, and only see NAPD on several accesses. I decline to steal it. He runs an ABT out behind Bastion since I have no Corrodor and no recursion, but whiffs – and this despite playing a 22 ice deck of which we’ve seen 4 so far. NAPD goes in Archives. I leave it there, since I know he has another in HQ. The Legwork comes up, and I hit Vitrivus + ABT in HQ.

With him poor and me having easy access to R&D, I Scavenge the Imp and keep clearing out ice and operations, from R&D, which eventually lets me dig down to a Project Wotan for the win. Didn’t even have to steal either NAPD.

Summary: So yeah, only one of these was a real game of Netrunner, since rounds 2 and 3 my opponents were flooded. But it’s good to know that MaxX can take advantage of those openings when they arise, whether it’s by having the right breaker and just making runs, Parasiting ice as needed, or playing the right multiaccess card. I probably won’t run this deck at tomorrow’s SC, since I don’t have time to get any more reps in with it today, but I’m definitely keeping it in my Runner rotation alongside Prepaid Kate and it’s quite possible I’ll play it or some version of Reg-Ass MaxX at one of the remaining Twin Cities Store Champs. With Kati out and a Clone Chip on the board, the Corp can never be sure that a server is safe.

3 Likes

Every time I read the name of this deck, my brain tries to convert it to either “RegEx” or “Reggae.”

3 Likes

This. I’ve played Reg-Ass MaxX (RAM) a few times and it seems like everything I actually need goes in the dump. How do you guys play around this? Clicking to draw to get more things in your hand is good. But then you have lots of cards you need to play. RAM is a busy girl. She needs her clicks to manage her money, install stuff, and to make runs. Not a lot of time to draw cards. Do you sometimes just get screwed on things going in the bin, or are there ways to mitigate this?

This is why I’d think Inject would be good. You get your recursion and early boost of stuff in Archives during the first few turns. I haven’t played the deck yet though so I don’t know how to make room for it.

I still won that game, so I’m not to a point where I’m worried about it yet.

Inject is great when you need money, but when you need your programs, it mills them faster than it finds you reasonable recursion sometimes. I don’t think there’s much to do about Maxx milling what you need other than click to draw when you need anything specifically, especially if there are still copies in the deck.

The 3rd Deja is a reasonable choice, as is a Scavenge.

You can always play Motivation :wink:

This is mostly my experience. Yeah, it feels bad when you mill what you wanted, but the fact is you’re still drawing an extra card every turn and you can just win the game anyway. It feels psychologically distressing to know that something you want is trashed, but if you were some other runner, you would have just not seen the card anyway. At least Maxx is giving you some information about what is left in your deck/how good it is to click to draw. When you play Andy and your Desperados are at the bottom of you deck, you don’t know about it until you get there.

6 Likes

Nice article.

Would be good to add some exceptions to whatever is being used to automatically link to cards so that it doesn’t look silly every time you use the words “the board” and “leverage”. Also, the copy-editor in me cannot resist pointing out “Being able to stifle the OAI-Cutrain combo out of Blue Sun is a huge deal”

Hi,

Thank for the article @mediohxcore. I will like to know your opinion on the change I will like to make, either:

-1 Lucky for +1 Scavenge

Or

-1 Lucky and -1 Zu for +1 Account and +1 Crypsis

Thank

The Siphon is a bad Idea.

Your econ engine is Kati Jones / Liberated / Daily Cast and you really don’t want to be tagged since you will probably never make the corp broke with a single siphon in your deck.
Scavenge is fine tho. I play with one instead of the LF and it did a great work for me. There’s probably a better card for those last 2 inf but I haven’t figured it out yet.

4 Likes

At 2 influence, we can add Aeshop’s Pawnshop. Replace the Zu for Crypsis and add a second Aeshop’s Pawshop.

Lucky Find is excellent in this deck and Aesop’s is a straight downgrade considering we have all of 6 cards that we’d ever want to pawn, three of those being Daily Casts. edit: I guess you can use it to turn a credit into a click via Liberated Accounts but that is such thin value I think we can safely ignore it when evaluating the card.

There may be better places to put your influence than LF (I’ve been testing Utopia Shard and Atman, and Scavenge seems fine as well), but I’m pretty certain Pawnshop is not one of them.

1 Like

This is so key. You have to be mentally robust to the self-mills with MaxX. I have won games that I almost tilted on because I milled my recursion: heck, I took down a strong HB Glacier after self-milling 3 Dejas, my LARLA, and 2 SoTs. MaxX—like most non-noise Anarchs—is about improvise/adapt/succeed.

Also do not play Aesops here. There’s nothing you want to sell, for real :).

19-3 with Opus MaxX after today’s SC :)—made some bad plays in my first game versus JRP (4-7) and JPE (6-7, was 2c short of winning!); bounced back to crush a Blue Sun Glacier and pwnzor the elimination-rounds rematch against the JRP, which I shut out and decked out. Will write an article after a few more plays.

5 Likes

Took this to a SC without testing. A lot of games on the razor’s edge, but it went 4-2, and I lost in the finals to @aandries (best 2 of 3; I lost with NEH twice to him). My losses were in @aandries NEH TOL and @Paranoid RP (I was up 4-2, in control, when he scored his one of Chronos as I was decked).

This is like playing Green (which I kinda like) out of Red. Plus, every turn is a puzzle with new pieces to it. Love it. In the finals, I melted three pieces of ICE to only leave Wormhole over R&D. Dropped Medium, ran with abandon.

Anyhow, great build, @mediohxcore . Awesome ID. 2 D4V1D = clutch.

Giving a Few Fucks

MaxX: Maximum Punk Rock (Order and Chaos)

Event (13)

Hardware (5)

Resource (11)

Icebreaker (6)

Program (10)

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Order and Chaos

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

In it for life. Punk will no die.

10 Likes

Sweet jesus, the Master Chronos Play :expressionless: . I ate a chronos today, but it was only for half-ish of my deck.

1 Like

Well, I knew he had it. I suggested it over a one-of of Gila. Bad play on my part, but ultimately inconsequential. True teammates spilt in Swiss.

4 Likes

Unless they need to sweep the leg to reach top-4 :). (Sorry, Grant and Josh.)