Hacktivist Meeting in an Asset-heavy meta

could Hacktivist Meeting be good in Kim? you can thin the hand to increase chance of hitting operations in HQ, and since he’s not Whizz he can struggle keeping up with asset trashing without Imp

5 Likes

Cool, care to share your list? I’ve been playing a lot of Headlock and am interested in testing Hactivist there as well. It seems so strong in the HB matchup where they can often just spam Campaigns/DBS/Pad/Ash endlessly.

1 Like

it’s nearly identical to your most recently posted list: -2 inject, -1 kati, +2 hactivist, +2 IHW (46 cards lol). had to pack the IHWs due a surge in Scorch and Punitive decks around here.

2 Likes

To me the card seems good in Headlock Reina and Valencia builds because they don’t tend to want to run remotes a whole lot and assets and upgrades are a pain for them to deal with.

I’m more skeptical of its use in other builds because you’d rather have Imp a lot of the time, both because it does more and because sometimes killing the rezzed card is better than punishing them for rezzing it. I can’t really see a list that wants to run both cards because that’s a lot of deck slots at that point. I’d rather have Imp in Reg MaxX for example, and I’m really not sure what you’d cut to put Hacktivist Meeting in.

1 Like

might be better of using a sam ol thing, rather then a 3rd hactivist gives more flex, as it could turn into another vamp

2 Likes

good suggestion! worth testing out, though i find one well-timed vamp is typically more than enough to wrap up a game.

what i like about having 3x HM is i want to play the current ASAP – i made a huge mistake in one of my matches when i waited until my second turn to play HM because the corp didn’t fill up any remotes yet. the corp, before even seeing an HM, then played and immediately rezzed MHC and DBS, denying me two forced random discards. all smart corps will be doing this in Anarch match-ups (and dumb runners like me won’t be playing HM ASAP once it’s in hand :oP ).

He probably wasn’t even thinking of Hactivist but rather Queen’s Gambit which has been out for a while. I agree that Corps will be playing around both cards and you have to get it out ASAP.

not in this case! he told me afterward that it pained him to rez the DBS on his turn, but he had to presume i was playing HM. he also said he slotted in one ELP that morning before the tournament because he had a feeling HM would be played. but yes, i agree, corps should’ve been at least considering rezzing assets/upgrades anyway if they played against Anarch and suspected QG.

1 Like

Maybe. I would be extremely more worried about HM if I’m playing RP.

1 Like

I’ve been messing with this in a breakers Noise deck, finding it pretty successful and well worth the include. ELP is terrible for Noise (since non-running Noise is not competitive, sorry) but when you need to set up (as Noise needs to do sometimes) this current can make a Corp play at slower pace, or else rush an agenda likely leaving a weak central for you to hit. Losing random cards from R&D, losing random cards from HQ… that sounds like Noise stuff to me.

2 Likes

didn’t realize there was a Diesel vending machine in the art!

http://pre00.deviantart.net/fa86/th/pre/f/2015/110/c/c/hacktivist_meeting_by_johnariosa-d8qhx6m.jpg

art is from John Ariosa.

here’s the HM/Reina deck i ran over the weekend, by the way – i’ll probably swap out an Earthrise for a third HM. the 2x IHW could be 2x Inject instead. Still not sure how to split up those two slots between IHW, Inject, and Earthrise.

4 Likes

Hard at Work
Resource • Install: 5 • Influence: 2
When your turn begins, gain 2 and lose .
Noise decided to go back to school. He applied for research grants at fifteen of the most prestigious universities. Then he hacked in and approved his applications. Breakfast time.

Maybe? :slight_smile:

I just played against it 2 times (headlock and ed kim), and won both games. I’m not going to say that this is counter proof to my earlier doubts. No, rather this is a humble brag that I won.

This card is the real deal. If it’s ability isn’t good enough on it’s own, the real power of it is how hard it tilts me when I stare at 1 card on octgn as I rez shit, the ONE CARD I care about losing, to watch it vanish. RAGETILT

5 Likes

but thats just OCTGN, that game either gives away all the agendas in HQ, or the runner hits the same card 4 times in a row

2 Likes

Shit, that’s just Thursday night for me at my league.

That’s just anarch sharing anarch problems with you! Kind of like how with a 5 card hand you Stimhack and it always, I mean ALWAYS brains your other Stimhack. Hashtag justanarchthings

2 Likes

So I had a rare situation where I had the chance to use this card against a runner. Hopefully the pic is clear.

In the pic the remote is IQ, bronze, IQ-> caprice ABT the first remote is jackson. If leela legworks HQ, she can bounce the abt and come back in for a 50/50 to win the game (given the money), but more importantly stop me from scoring out. Then I realize, not only can I save a buck on the remote run by rezzing caprice right away, I can also drop the agenda if he does legwork! I can actually rez caprice AND jackson as he passes the bottom ice on HQ, empty my hand, and have the agenda be totally safe in the heap with jackson.

In the end he runs the remote with rex, i rez caprice to save the dollar in case I have to psi game 2 times, rez all the ice on the way in (IQ for 1 and bronze for 2) and crush the psi game, locking out rex with 1 counter.

Not mind blowing, but a cute little interaction on why I love how cards interact in weird ways.

11 Likes

Very nice. It was clever of you to think of that on the fly in the game like that. Well done!

Potential interactions like this, where your own card gets used against you, should be considered when evaluating cards. Things like this add greatly to the discussion. Thank you!

Technically, if the Runner Legworked HQ, under the assumption that the card in the remote was an agenda, because each access is sequential, they would actually win the game straight up. They would have to do it in the awkward “access 1st card, set card aside, access 2nd card, set card aside, access 3rd card” manner, but hey, it is the correct way to do it.

That is to say, Leela plays Legwork:
Access 1st card - NEXT Gold - “k”;
Access 2nd card - Utopia Fragment - “Bounce the newly installed facedown card in the remote back to HQ”;
Access 3rd card - Accelerated Beta Test

It does frustrate me that OCTGN’s automation makes Leela HQ multiaccess a pain. But, of course, as you note, the fun Hacktivist Meeting interaction actually means your Fragment is safe as can be, either way. Neat.

I’ve been considering this too and I don’t think that it will be unheard of for the corp to be able to use Hacktivist Meeting in a way that benefits them. If they’re agenda flooded they can also draw a bunch with Jackson up to 6 or 7, discard agendas down to maximum hand size and then rez something to discard another one.

This won’t be common enough to make Hacktivist unplayable, but its a strike against it compared to its competitors like Scrubber and Imp.

2 Likes