Hayley Kaplan: Click Decompression

Inti is cheap to get into play and sometimes that’s what you need when all that’s standing in your way is a wraparound. Corroder is strictly better most of the time, but inti+data sucker will get you into a surprising number of servers. And Lady is great for eli before atman shows up. They’re all very conditional, and you play what you have. I needed fracter #3, I didn’t want another inti and didn’t find lady to be reliable without test run/scavenge support, so went with corroder. Yes, corroder was my fallback; but its so good, who cares?

If you’re not playing against a bunch of FA, lose a clot and get a parasite or cache or something. But, I wanted to present the 2 clot deck just because I’ve found its the best way to lock down NEH.

There aren’t enough other hatebears on the runner side, methinks. This is almost worthy of the professor, though. In fact, the only thing keeping me from that is wanting 2x clot and 3x Scheherazade. Maybe someone can tinker with it a bit and get it there… (I guess also the festers/data suckers; but it makes me think professor might have something up his sleeve we’ve missed.)

Bonus points: Deck doesn’t care about blacklist.

I like the idea. I’m not sure about the Festers, I may have to try it out. I think there are 2 strong builds that have been identified for Hayley: Aesop’s and Stealth. I’ve been running Aesop’s (+ Cache) and may be the better one, but Stealth Hayley was 2nd seed/7th at the Tulsa Regional, so I may be wrong here.

Your deck seems similar to what @kiv [(no Festers, but 2x Desperado)][1] has been running in his recent videos:

Try 1-2 Paricias. At worst it’s an Easy Mark, but most likely a Gamble (with Scheherazade), and you don’t need Sahasrara support. Often, you can install, run and trash a Pad, then sell it, netting 6 credits.
[1]: http://netrunner.meteor.com/decks/t2JGMRJ2X4mPAxyiw/

2 Likes

I would say you are right and wrong regarding Hayley deck types. Aoesops/cache probably has the advantage in the beginning, while stealth hayley shines later.

My list is heavily inspired by the Kaplan’s Singularity earlier in the thread, cheers to @gumOnShoe for that. I had been working on something similar but the Clot + Sacrificial Construct interaction was something I never thought of and gave me hope to not auto-lose to NEH.

Also I left the Deep Thought in there but it’s definitely not good enough without Fester. I agree that Paricia is a reasonable include. As gimped as it is in not being able to trash Ash/Caprice/SanSan/Crisium, it really shines in those NEH asset spam matchups where PPVP Kate can just run out of money to trash everything.

2 Likes

Agree on paricia thoughts, almost as good as scrubber; it was in dumpster gamble and probably would work as well here. I miss desperado, but the consistency is a bit higher with this build even if you’re sacrificing some economic power.

No time to watch vids; what are you finding out @kiv?

This build is probably a lot better than the last… the opportunity to drop paricia on a scherezade early is pretty cool. Go to 6 credits on click 1 getting 2 recurring for trash. Run face down, Trash DBS and still have 4 credits. 2 clicks left. Sounds pretty good even if its the optimal situation. Even if you see a san san, you still have a credit post run… which for this deck is usually enough to allow a recovery.

The College Try + Paricia Mods

Hayley Kaplan: Universal Scholar (Breaker Bay)

Event (3)

Hardware (6)

Resource (11)

Icebreaker (9)

Program (16)

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Breaker Bay

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

3 Likes

This is my take on Hayley. Currently trying to combo ProCon, Aesop and Workshop. I feel the power is there, but it’s a tad slow. Lady, Imp and D4V1D are really good with Aesop, as they can be recurred with clone and sold when empty. Imp also allows early trashes, when money is still low.

Workshop gives flexibility regarding installs, and allows Hayley to trigger in the corps turn as well. But I found the rate with which I got new cards too low. Including diesels and events that save clicks (run / install events such as modded / laundry / makers eye) speed things up a bit and are great with ProCon but don’t synergize well with Hayley. So still looking for the balance here.

Hayley Kaplan: Universal Scholar (Breaker Bay)

Event (7)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
1x Scavenge (Creation and Control)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)

Hardware (13)
1x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
1x HQ Interface (Humanity’s Shadow) ••
3x R&D Interface (Future Proof)
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
3x Lockpick (Opening Moves)
2x Astrolabe (Up and Over)

Resource (12)
3x Aesop’s Pawnshop (Core Set)
3x Personal Workshop (Cyber Exodus)
3x Professional Contacts (Creation and Control)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (4)
1x Mimic (Core Set) •
1x Refractor (First Contact)
2x Cerberus “Lady” H1 (All That Remains)

Program (9)
1x Imp (What Lies Ahead) •••
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)
1x D4v1d (The Spaces Between) ••••
3x Cache (The Spaces Between) •••
1x Clot (The Valley) ••

15 influence spent (maximum 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Breaker Bay

1 Like

This is largely what I found in my early testing as well. There’s probably a Test Run/Scavenge deck for hailey out there, but getting the economy right has been rough. The more operations you have in deck the higher value they better be and the higher value your installables have to be to really register a profit.

Also as a player, you have to know when its ok to skip her trigger to leverage a more powerful play later. This is mostly because of economics. If the cost of your stuff isn’t low enough she’ll bankrupt herself and open a scoring window for your opponent.

Which to me says:

1. Stimhack for a deck that does that is probably gold.
  2. You want to have a very good reason for every single install you make

I’ve lost several games because I drew a bunch of stuff that might benifit me later and choose to install two things, losing some credits and a click when what I should have been doing was pressuring. Her ability is very much a trap if your deck isn’t built for it.

I think stimhack+shop probably makes sense, but the trap with that in play is probably keeping yourself from putting too much on the shop. You need valuables in hand that are worth installing on the spare click.

I’ve also found, go figure, that synergistic installs gain value since you can compress them. Scheherezade+Program turns your usual “install a program” turn into “this costs 1 less”. Sahasarara+Program is basically a break even move, but on scherezade you probably get 2 credits out of it, saving/making 2 credits and then the following turn it compounds.

I’m not seeing a lot of that in your deck, but what I am seeing is a lot of the cards I had a hard time making work. Interfaces, 4 of them. Those are expensive, can be tough to install. You’ve got the shop, but you’ll rarely trigger them out of hand unless you’re really dominating a game. Plascrete; Its a good card, but again, I found the hit of 3 credits in addition to a big install like an interface made it hard to stomach. Now, stimhack solves that problem neatly, easily paying for both during a run.

There’s a similar problem with proco. It costs 5, which makes installing stuff with it difficult. This is why I ended up going with sym visage in other decks. Casts costs quite a bit too, which is why I went with armitage. Anything under 3 feels really good, and anything that’s more than that is probably going to need assistance. Cache, Imp, & D4v1d are all good companion programs. Part of me wants to see cloak in the deck though so that you can occasionally install it with a breaker (like refractor) and get immediate benefits.

If you’re finding things slow, I’m wondering how much of that really is just digging for cards, and how much of it is the economical or anti-synergy of the cards you’ve got together in the deck. Hayley begs for consistant action plan and similarity between installations.

2 Likes

Off topic (or at least, extremely tangential), but I love the Clot - SacCon combo. Just last night I hit on the idea myself.

I think you have to many installable things in this deck. Though it should in theory make Hayley fire off more frequently, it also makes your other cards in hand worthless for the rest of the turn. You are basically trading her extra click for drawing a card. You need some card draw to really use Hayley efficiently. Either passive (earthrise, ProCon), or through events.

It also makes every card you play fire off Hayley, even if it would be suboptimal. My guess is that a usual turn begins with you drawing one or two cards?

Events actually combos very well with Hayley, her Ability works at exactly one click/turn. Or in the case of workshop, zero clicks. This means you have 3-4 clicks where you really doesn’t want to install things, you want to gain money and/or cards. ProCon makes sure both of these things happen. Diesel is even better, it gives you options if you fire it first click.

Overall, I think everyone is focusing to much on installable things and every type of installable thing. I don’t think this is the right way to go. Look at the most successful shaper at the moment. @Calimsha Kate has 1/3 in her deck that fire Kates ability.

1 Like

En, when you’re not installing you want to run our gain cash, not draw. The first deck has a lot of passive draw for that reason.

Yes? Your deck had diesel, and one astrolabe. This means you will use clicks to draw a lot if you want to make Hayley fire. You have Aesops as a credit engine, which means that you want to install something at least every second turn. Which means that you need things to install… which means more card draw. I think Aesops can work well in Hayley, but you should try and feed him a constant stream of cards.

Not trying to be mean or anything, just trying to be helpful.

Ps. Technically, you don’t want to run in netrunner. You want to access as many different cards as possible as fast as possible. :stuck_out_tongue: Ds.

The first deck has masanori in it and desperado along with symmetrical visage (scroll up). The latter one does have a little less of that stuff, but it definitely focuses on intentional runs and playing the remote game. When you’re drawing, you’re doing it because you have time; but you absolutely should do other things if the game warrants it. Spending 1 click installing two things and 3 clicks drawing (even with proco) is a horrible strategy. Better to draw a card a turn and use the rest to run, click for credits and install if you’ve reached/gone over hand size (in that order).

Accessing all the things isn’t necessary when your force the corp into remote play. Nor is doing it quickly necessarily what you want either.

I’m not sure there’s been much discussion on this yet. I feel the optimal deck composition is with one installable type to be more (and maybe a secondary installable type) than the others. I can see that @Minotower’s deck might have an issue since all 3 installable are about an even split (12/13/12). Often you will find have a grip with one of each type or a combination where installing multiple of the same type to be too expensive (i.e. Interface + anything) or dealing with duplicate unique installables. Obviously, Personal Workshop helps in that situation for programs/hardware.

For example, the deck I’ve been trying to good success has 28 programs (23 of which are 2 credits or less).

A more balanced deck composition may be better in a blank ID, but Hayley has a secondary deck requirement: be better than Mac. So if you’re not using her ability often enough, will it just be better in Mac (or CT)?

I can see high program builds like @gumOnShoe / @kiv (and what I’m currently trying) or the high hardware Stealth builds to be pretty good. There may even be high resource builds that can generate a pretty insane economy and just use standard hardware/programs, though I don’t know of any yet.

2 Likes

The deck I built with desperado, fester etc was an attempt at a resource build originally and it didn’t quite get there; I was having a hard time coming up with resources that weren’t too expensive that I wanted in multiples. Sac Construct made sense with clot; Fester, did too; but I also considered drip econ with underworld/data folding. The lack of link makes that last plan (though enticing) hard to even consider imo; but there may be something there. Some mix of supplier, career fair, and drip econ?

1 Like

I believe Rabbit Hole is what you’re looking for :smiley:

1 Like

Exactly my point. People have been trying to shoehorn as many of the installable types as possible.

You will need breakers so there is no way around not having programs. Then you should concentrate on either resources or hw. I think 1/3 events and the rest to installables is fine.

But the decks are starting to be more inventive now, the first was just “we take Ppvp Kate and change id. clicks are better than creds, right?”

1 Like

Replicator makes every hw have a rabbithole effect in hayley. :slight_smile:

InstallAllTheThingsItus; They make pills for that if you’re desperado enough. :smile:

I jest, but I really don’t think replicator will ever be in a competitive deck of mine without some sort of serious change to the meta/card pool. It’s too easy to want to go all in on the ability and then in the 30-40% of games where you don’t see it you’re running with a limp in stride. And if you don’t go all in, it’s not doin a whole lot for you.

If we would have had hw breakers, i would do my best to do a hw deck in hayley, with replicator. Jank ftw!