Hemorrhage Noise: Is hemorrhage the return of Noise?

Since I’ve been on a self-imposed Criminal/NBN ban, this spring/store championship season has been all about trying these sorts of fun builds out to see what is competitive or close to :). This concept is one of my three finalists: fun, not criminal, and pretty darn good.

1 Like

i make a darwin-knight deck, and sharpshooter is great as an anti archer/grim. it also counteracts corporate troubleshooter pretty well, since i would wager most troubleshooters are popped on destroyer ice.

I love the self-imposed ban! I didn’t let myself play Andromeda or HBFA. In my ban, I discovered Gabe is just as awesome as Andy, HB is great for more than FA, NBN is a relatively easy win, I still don’t like playing Shapers and Weyland. Specifically, I forced myself to learn Anarch, and try to see how good it can be. Glad I found this post. :slight_smile: It has helped.

1 Like

I discovered that the universe has banned me from playing some decks. I have a Chaos Theory and Exile deck that work well despite me drawing like crap, but with Kate or Kit I end up drawing cards so badly that it goes like this: “what the–? How did I mulligan into 3x Access to Globalsec and 2x Femme Fatale? I don’t even have these cards in the decklist!” :).

2 Likes

Hmm your opponent would have to already be in a desperate board position to not purge 4 hemorrhage counters and a fresh imp.

Speaking of which, one thing that I’m noticing with this deck is that you may start out with a solid win % but it drops as your opponent learns to play against it. Strongly protecting their HQ, always trashing Joshua B and Data Leak Reversal, purging to prevent strong Hemorrhage plays. It becomes quite important to fork your opponent, playing down your Joshua B when they’d like to purge for example. Sam does this really well in his videos.

Well, this is just a scenario. You can do the same thing with only 1 counter on each of the Hemmorhage. Imp, Run to discard with IMP, activate Hem, Activate Hem. And you start the next round with 1 counter on Imp. the opponent will not remove counters so you can repeat the thing, throuwn in with a siphon to keep him poor.

The important thing is the Siphon and the access to HQ. If you have these. then anything can happen :smile:

1 Like

This is the crux of the deck. Another 4 plays last night. Only game I lost is when I can’t find a Siphon. Once you have the corp broke and scrambling, between, Joshua, DLR, and Hemorrhage, this is one of the most punishing decks around.

2 Likes

i found out that any deck i played that has siphons is one of the most punishing decks around if im able to fire it few times :smile:

3 Likes

Dunno who you’re playing, but in my area, people ICE up HQ to the point of happily giving up 2-3 points out of RnD just to not get siphoned and shutdown (think 2 ICE minimum). And frankly, given the state the game is in now, HQ access seems much more important than RnD access, so it’s the right call tactically.

Hence, a deck that only really works if you can get into HQ (while running only breakers that are pretty terrible against multi-layered ICE) isn’t really on the fast-track to success over here.

Hmm I’m thinking of trying to find room for Datasucker. I know traditionally it’s just for the fixed breakers and it isn’t friends with Knight. But it’s a cheap virus and one of the best cards in the game. In many cases it’s a virus Desperado that costs 1!

people are starting to guard hq heavily against anarchs now, gonna work in a pair of mediums

I’ve managed to incorporate it in my version, it’s really helpful for trashing ice faster.

Noise: Hacker Extraordinaire

Event (12)
3x Déjà Vu
3x Account Siphon ••••• ••••• ••
3x Easy Mark •••
3x Sure Gamble

Hardware (5)
2x Grimoire
3x Plascrete Carapace

Resource (9)
3x Armitage Codebusting
3x Joshua B.
3x Data Leak Reversal

Icebreaker (8)
2x Corroder
3x Crypsis
3x Knight

Program (11)
2x Datasucker
3x Parasite
3x Imp
3x Hemorrhage

Those Easy Marks should probably be Quality Times, for consistency reasons.

1 Like

I found myself struggling around the 0 credits bar, against opponents that prevent me from siphoning them. The easy marks helps me get back on my feet fast.

Just won 2nd place in the tournament and Best Runner with this deck (scoring 23 agenda points over 3 rounds!) Thanks for posting this deck. I also ran TWIY (Lysander Deck) for those who were curious.

Here was my prize for best runner!:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/103758550211602486217/posts

4-1 with this deck archetype at a SC today; the only loss was due to a stupid mental mistake (played a plascrete to go down to 3 cards in hand vs. a PGO/Shutdown/Scorch player). It’s so good :).

I think Datasucker and Knight are great friends! Knight is a fixed breaker too, after all, and Chum along with Corporate Troubleshooter are real cards that see actual play.

Chummed Archer is a thing now, for sure.

My store champs did not go so well. 1-3 on Noise, but salvaged top 4 with 4-0 Weyland. I’m not so sure on the Joshua B/DLR package anymore. It seems to me you’ve got a few scenarios:

1. Your opponent hasn’t seen the damage they can do, doesn’t trash them and they are great
  2. Your opponent can’t immediately afford to trash and they are good
  3. They simply act as mini vamps, which is reasonable but mediocre if you’re behind economically
  4. You can’t play them because of tag punishment (scorched), heavily defended centrals or even lack of tags. They will sit in your hand, often multiple copies, which can cripple your draws.

Perhaps I’m being too cautious on #4 or my meta is ill-suited for it. I mostly played against Weyland and in every game I ended up discarding Joshua/DLR while digging for Plascrete and icebreakers. I’m starting to think three Corroders might not be crazy. The deck also performs poorly when the corp gets out solid ice, usually after securing their HQ against account Siphon and Imp. Hemorrage doesn’t do much if you can’t build counters. The current build is a phase 1 monster but it transitions poorly leading to a long phase 2.

Game 1 - NBN Making News - The deck felt like it performed quite well, doing damage all over the place. I didn’t have the credits to push Crypsis through a two ice remote on turn four or five. Unfortunately it was an Astroscript. Private Contracts stopped me from economically squeezing him with a double Gorman Drip. He then made a great play not using Jackson when I hit archives, giving up a point but allowing him to fix his hand later. I smelled the agendas in hand but could only get one pointers when I wasn’t missing them completely. He scored two more Astroscripts and a Beale all out of hand to win with 6 cards left in his deck.

Game 2 - Weyland BaBW - I start with Hemorrhage, forcing him to rez a few ice. After a couple free but fruitless R&D runs he ices it. I use my 3 counter Hemorrhage then run it again, sure enough it’s Grim. I kept running R&D with no programs, eventually pulling six points out of it. However he’s been scoring as well. I can’t scrape a rig together in time to get through on his remote. I definitely made a few mistakes this game. Played a Grimoire while I was running Grim and programless (would have had to discard), the virus bonus is nice but really you’re paying for the MU. I also should have played Knight which would have been free runs on Grim anyway with bad publicity. That would have allowed the Crypsis I eventually drew to be ready for a run on the remote.

Game 3 - Weyland GRNDL - An early power shutdown on my plascrete carapace was a bit worrying. Magnum Opus came down and was great. He tried to keep ahead of me on money but I must have taken 50 credits from it just to stay ahead. Eventually he installed on a remote, Crypsis and Corroder were able to cut through Archer and two Wall of Static with the help of 4 Bad Publicity to score false lead. The run cost him as much as it cost me so I had breathing room to visit Archives. To our surprise there were 6 points in there! He had counted four and had double Punitive Counterstrike in hand but my Magnum Opus hoard of 30+ credits might have provided me enough protection.

Game 4 - Weyland BaBW - In theory a good starting hand with Plascrete and Account Siphon but he has turn 1 Curtain Wall/Oversight AI on HQ. Followed up by another Curtain Wall/Oversight AI on his remote, Hadrian’s Wall/Oversight AI on archives. I couldn’t draw my Corroders or Magnum Opus to answer the Curtain Walls. Also had fairly dead draws of multiple Joshua B, DLR and Account Siphon. I decided not to take the risk playing tag me without Plascrete since I hadn’t seen any influence out of him yet. He had plenty of money to trash them anyway and is a good tag-me anarch player himself who would have been aware of the danger. Got a few digs on R&D, clearing away ice with Parasite and Knight but no luck. Another Knight got me through the Hadrian’s on archives in my final turn to salvage 3 points.

All in all I think the deck is better than 1-3. First loss I felt like I had him on his heels but couldn’t stop the astrotrain. It does highlight that the deck can’t R&D lock or break large remote servers without some difficulty, two things most successful decks incorporate. Second loss, very close 6-7, the multiple DLR and Joshua draws may have kept me from efficiently transitioning into something beyond the free R&D runs I was offered. Third loss, well I can think of a few decks that would struggle with a turn 1 Curtain Wall on HQ. But it put me in a situation where 15 cards (not to mention 12 influence) were nearly useless: Account Siphon, Same Old Thing, Joshua B, Data Leak Reversal, Imp.

Imp, especially if you use noise’s passive with it, makes for great R&D attack. If they’re broke you can build your own makers eye every turn, although turn 1 oversight curtain wall is pretty harsh.

I managed to do decently (5th) with it this week, but i’m probably going to take a break from it for a little while

Yeah Noise certainly can string together some R&D combos. Let me get your opinion on something Sam. Run R&D, virus (to clear non-agenda), run R&D. Or virus first then Run R&D? If they don’t have Jackson I think you could make a strong argument for virus first but you’ve got a slightly better chance of scoring two agendas if you check every card.

Had a few games early in testing where I used imp to churn through R&D. You end up wondering how the game went wrong. ‘I got rid of three ice and an economy card on top of scoring that agenda!’ But you haven’t really helped your board position. Hemorrage + Imp + Mill v Jackson can increase their effective agenda density by getting rid of the non agenda cards (my original strategy) but you’re also less able to take advantage of that now that you’re behind on the board. Ideally you want to bottleneck them on either ice, credits or combo pieces. If you’ve got them short on cash don’t imp that ice, it’s a dead draw for them. Imp is a maker’s eye if you don’t mind paying three extra clicks and breaking R&D ice three times. Maybe not ‘great’ but still ‘alright’ hahah.

Nordrunner, just realized you were the designer of that HB deck! My girlfriend got top 4 using it last weekend and god does it crush Noise. Great deck, the low agenda density with tons of economy and ice means no frustration for her. There was a consistent look of utter defeat on each opponent’s face when she would install advance advance after they spent their stockpile of 15 credits for a look at an Eve Campaign. We’re trying some new tech for the deck, would love to hear what you think. Interns for a Restructure. I figured Ash, Jackson and Campaigns would make great targets for whatever you needed at the time. However she keeps using it to add a fifth ice to the remote, even using ice from HQ that’s still a Sure Gamble so it’s hard to argue with. The other interesting card, not enough testing yet, Akitaro Watanabe. It hurts to free up the influence as Tollboth is so good but what a brutal bluff card. Do you keep going and take a huge economic hit to trash him or just end the run and leave him to make even more money next run? Either way he’s guaranteed to pay for himself. Assuming he doesn’t muck up your opening draw.

Back to Noise. Considering Account Siphon is the best card in the deck(game) has anyone tried Vamp as well?

edit: Also another Noise first place tournament report [Store Championship] Interactivity Board Game Cafe 1st Place Report (Victoria, BC) | Android: Netrunner I think this is certainly the build I’m gravitating back towards. ‘Hemmorhage was under-performing, as I thought it might.’ The great hemorrhage scenarios involve multiple copies and I think the game has to already be going pretty well for you to spend that much and still be able to run cheaply. It might be too much of a ‘win more’ card? If it’s best in multiples is a single copy still good for Djinn?