Honor and Profit Full Spoilers

people were pretty convinced leviathan existed for a reason too, sometimes (more frequently than should happen) they print really bad cards that never pan out. pretty sure push your luck is part of it.

the only time I could see it being played is if something lets you cheat at spending secret credits

One of the great strengths of this game for me is that cards that have once been dismissed suddenly become useful as the meta changes. There are stronger and weaker cards, sure, but Pushing Your Luck is the only card Iā€™ve seen printed so far which is so knowingly terrible that I canā€™t envisage any circumstance in which it would even be played. Even some of the ā€œadvance only whilst rezā€™dā€ ice could be made playable (not necessiarily competative, but playable) with the right support (an asset or agenda that gave you a click a turn for advancing ICE for example).

Compare that my old game, Legend of the Five Rings, or MTG, where you can write off half of every set just by looking at it because they are just worst versions of already printed cards.

2 Likes

pretty sure Security Check does not stack - it has a replacement effect similar to Bank Job

1 Like

actually this is EV=0 with two voicepads :wink:

I could be useful if a future card effect gives you credits with a duration. Like Stimhack or BP, but which last until the end of the turn.

2 Likes

Or if thereā€™s a way to play a non-run event in the middle of a run. Or if thereā€™s a piece of ICE that has subs dependent on the runnerā€™s bank. Or a lot of other things :smiley:

So 3 security checks in play, itā€™s a beginning of turn effect, so you could choose 3 different servers and run them on clicks 1 to 3 for credits, that much is certain.

You probably canā€™t choose the same server more than once, since SC is a badly worded replacement effect replacing access with creds.

What bothers me is something like feint + SC, since both cards have badly worded replacement effects. I was talking with a friend speculating that you could stack these two effects since you are active player:

SC HQ, Feint HQ, successful run triggering SC first, triggering Feint last.

Seems like it would work? Itā€™s shit like this that is making deckbuilding in the 5 days after H&P before our regional Fun**

**not

No, you canā€™t combo SC with Feint. Feint will trigger at 4.4, and stop you from being able to access cards. Then SC will trigger at 4.5, but because you canā€™t access cards, you canā€™t gain 2 credits either (nothing for the replacement effect to replace).

You can choose the same server more than once, but the additional SCs wonā€™t do anything, as you can only have one ā€œfirst runā€ each turn.

1 Like

I agree with that interpretation, I saw the words successful run on SC and that made me think it would trigger at 4.4 like feint.

I often play decks with the ā€œscore two two-pointers and one three-pointerā€ game plan-- Iā€™ve found that you almost always want the three-pointer out first, not last. Your mileage may vary, I suppose?

On Future Perfect a bit more, as someone who runs db0ā€™s Untrashable listā€¦ the Executive Retreats lose me games regularly. Theyā€™re too easy to steal once accessed ā€“ and people often say ā€œscrew itā€ to my remotes and start going all-in on central servers. I can keep them taxing, but having my largest agenda the one thatā€™s easiest for them to steal doesnā€™t do me any favours.

The 3 each NAPD, Fetal, Perfect suite of agendas means that none of them comes for free, which means that if Iā€™ve been even half-successful Iā€™m going to be able to keep them relatively safe.

EDIT: In comparison with, say, Nisei, Braintrust, and Executive Orders. It just rounds out that last slot so much more effectively, and I think it DOES do well for Jinteki because you want to let them in (at a great cost) as often as not, and this is a way how.