Honor and Profit Full Spoilers

Same. In my area, literally no one is playing Caprice Nisei. My pistols would mostly end up shooting Bernice Mai and Jackson Howard. Finally. (I’m a little bored of NBN’s dominance, haha)

I think you’re overstating the power of both Caprice and Unreg S&W. Caprice really will only be showing up in Jinteki decks, (and not all of them), and maybe the odd Glacier/Tax deck, (though Ash is, on average, about as good, and much less influence).

Unregistered S&W is actually pretty bad vs everything except Caprice as far as I can tell. There are really 3 things it can kill: Jackson, Caprice, and Ash. You’ll probably never actually kill Jackson with it, as people will preemptively use it as a result of it being in play, (which is fine), but it’s sort of a wash vs just going and running Jackson in most cases. Against Ash, it’s next to worthless, because the only reason people will rez an Ash before you have the chance to get at it for $3 is the odd In-Response-To-Siphon money dump. It’s relatively good vs Caprice, but unless it’s sitting in play and you can get through your opponent’s remote twice in a turn, she is still going to be able to protect one agenda.

I don’t think it’s a horrible add, but I think there are better things for criminal to try and fit in a deck right now.

2 Likes

S&W seems so bad. At least quest complete has some utility. Install S&W run HQ, Kill caprice? you don’t get in the server it’s protecting, you would have better luck just running caprice and MAYBE accessing the agenda, instead of running S&W and definitely not getting the agenda.

Also can’t be tutored for to use in other situations it’s good for - unless you use logos, which only seems good against scorched earth decks.

Mass installation definitely seems great. It’s funny how different runners and corps are.

Great. Mind-blowing artwork, wasted on a Timmy card. I’m going to go cry in a corner now.

4 Likes

yeah, this one is truly mystifying to me. I’d get it if it cost 0- it would be kind of worthless, but it might be fun for some people, and it might even be useful in some hail mary scenarios. As it is, it has a negative expected utility, so it’s basically never a smart play, and it creates negative play experiences (either for the runner who goes broke, or the corp who sees the runner double their money on a lucky guess). Not useful, and not particularly fun.

If there is one issue with the design of this game, (ignoring the broken stuff from core set), it’s the complete willingness to include underpowered cards for no good reason. Without any testing at all I can conclude with near 100% certainty that a large portion of the cards that come out could have their costs reduced and be totally fair.

I’ve thought about this a fair bit, and I think those cards exist just to give the game flavor. We have force of nature so that we know anarchs are shitty at code gates, and we have aggressive negotiation and S&W so we know their respective factions aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty.

1 Like

This has been my takeaway, as well. If every faction could do everything equally well, what would be the point? Criminal does Sentries well and has powerful events and resources. Shaper handles econ and code gates solidly (especially card draw). Anarch is good at trashing/disruption and barrier breaking (with the most efficient breakers/datasucker/parasite on CHEAP loan to the other factions).

Criminal is already the most powerful faction in the game. Most decks don’t want these new crim cards – they’re here to provide more variance in criminal decks so that people can try out new/different things more easily. There’re cards that go well with the new runners, other cards that might slot into variations on existing decks, and still other cards that are here mostly as protection against the potential for later game-breaking. (S&W against future Execs, Window against Will o the Wisp if it proves to be broken, and so on.) If the new cards were better than the old ones/not without some drawback, well, Criminal would be EVEN BETTER, and the game would suffer for it.

Compare Jinteki’s haul – the corp that has been struggling the most pulls in new Ice, Agendas, Assets, and Operations that are going to allow them to start doing things they should’ve been able to do a while ago (or, at least, that other corps HAVE been doing). Sure, some of those aren’t the best either, but their proportion of outright good cards just goes to show what the focus of this was. Making Jinteki potentially playable competitively, and dividing Criminal attention between multiple runners and builds to diversify the play experience.

And, that in mind, isn’t it interesting how most of the criminal cards that seem worth a damn help put a bit more pressure on FA/Rush strategies (or counter potentially (though likely not) game-wrecking problems (Hanzo, Caprice, Wisp, etc.))? Thinking mostly of the central-only breakers, too, admittedly… but while that’s not going to make other strategies superior, having another archetype out there that’s meant to hurt FA better than, say, Glacier is certainly not unwelcome.

That’s all nice and good, but the vast majority of runners cards in this cycle can be labeled as “for flavor”. I would appreciate it if we had a few more cards that reinforce what each faction is good at instead of constant reminders of what they suck at. Since worlds has come out, there has been 5 datapacks, and only two runner cards (knight and reina) have seen more than fringe play

To be honest, I kind of want to make a Gabe deck, transport it into Iain Stirling, throw in three Double or Nothings, and win a tournament without using them just to watch people marvel about how I pulled them off.

2 Likes

I used to joke about bringing a data dealer to the top tables at regionals, but if shi kyu pans out I might actually sleeve one up

1 Like

I said from the start if DD didn’t require a click and worked as a paid ability, it’d be pretty dang good. Sometimes an “oh shit” button is worth sacrificing an agenda for if you stumble on an Archer or Flare or something.

Hey man, a league-mate of mine has a pretty damn scary Data Dealer deck. Of course, his entire plan is to mill the corp out, and those 9cs go a long way to fueling the R&D pressure he needs to get there.

Not even joking, it’s a tough deck to beat, especially when you think it’s just a regular ol’ Noise deck.

2 Likes

not looking forward to playing against the deck running fetal, napd and future perfect as its agenda setup

1 Like

I really don’t know why people are so hyped about Future Perfect-- agendas that don’t help you win the game tend to be bad, and its ability doesn’t do anything when it’s most vulnerable. It’s definitely the best 5/3 to use as a filler card and never actually play, I guess?

I agree in most decks, however, if the sole purpose of your deck is to drain them of money, then making every agenda in your central server cost money is going to be pretty brutal. I only think it’ll be good in the heavy taxing caprice builds, but it’ll be a major player there.

I disagree, it does do something when it’s most vulnerable, unlike other 5/3s. Sure, when it’s installed the runner knows it’s there and can do something about it – but it’s usually in greater danger in your hand or R&D, where they’re more likely to be accessing regularly and have a greater chance of pulling it at random.

Building up those servers to prevent regular accesses is a goal, of course, but for Jinteki especially it can be a hard one. Future Perfect doesn’t do anything once scored, but can be kept in your hand relatively safely, so long as you’re not broke – at least when compared to Priority Requisition or Executive Retreat, which must be gotten rid of almost immediately, without necessarily being able to wait for an ideal scoring window to arise.

This is all the more true in highly taxing Jinteki decks, such as most half-decent RP builds. By the time they’ve gotten in, they might not have the money to go for it.

And, in so far as mindgames are concerned… well, for all that it’s suboptimal, I can see potential benefit in IAA-ing an NAPD contract if they know you have Future Perfect. They might not keep enough credits to score the latter if they suspect it to be something else.

RP and Stupid Jinteki Mindgames aside, I still think the relative safety in-deck and in-hand of FP makes it more valuable to access-happy Jinteki players than the other options. With it and a snare in hand, you’re much safer than with that snare and an Executive Retreat.

Couldn’t possibly disagree more. Compare these scenarios:

• I run on a naked Jackson, he suicides, I don’t even get the goddamn Desperado credit
  • I run on an Iced-up Jackson, I have to break some stuff just to make him suicide and stop drawing cards
  • I run on HQ with at least two clicks to spare. I get a “successful HQ run” trigger (Nerve Agent, Pheromones, Emergency Shutdown, Datasucker… you name it), and now you have a choice - are you going to detonate Jackson? Cool, I just got rid of him by virtue of having a gun on the table, and can do other stuff now. If not, I can smoke him (essentially turning those two clicks into 3 credits)

And that’s just Jackson. There’s plenty more annoying stuff already, with more definitely coming down the line. This card is simply a form of leveraging HQ pressure into more remote pressure.

Sure, it’s not tutorable right now, but if I’m running a deck with HQ run triggers (Gabe and Silhouette, at the very least), I’ll most probably pack one copy of the gun and it’ll probably pull its weight.

Hey, remember how everyone and their mother were bitching at how CI can’t possibly ever be good, after C&C came out?

Just sayin’

Au contraire, it’s the only agenda that has a relevant text if you plan to win by scoring 4 points and then scoring a three-pointer. In Jinteki builds running Nisei Mk.II as their 2-pointers, this card is awesome beyond description. I’ve often lost to PriReq getting snatched from hand - not because the runner got to 7, but because I was sitting at 4 points and I knew I could only push one more agenda through. In those situations, having to draw into another PriReq is usually gg.

This is another perfect example of a Jinteki power card - people that don’t play the faction regularly have no idea why it’s so great :smiley:

1 Like

anyone know if security check stacks?

Push Your Luck was an incredible waste of an artists time. I agree completely! But lets look at the possibilities. I think it was built for situations, in which you have quite a bit of money, but you know you might loose it all soon anyways. This way you might be able to do something crazy with it.

My only examples would be

1. do something big before you get your accounts closed.
  2. maybe in Nasir builds prior to a run, your money will be gone anyways.
  3. gamble all but three credits, if you loose install Theophilius Bagbiter otherwise use your mountain of cash.

For some strange reason I believe they intended the card to do something.
God lets see what they do to make this card good. (And lets see if Datadealer really gets a boost)