IDs with the Wrong Influence

I think that’d be a really cool design if they nailed it the first time, but I hate errata.

I’d like to understand why they don’t just errata the ids with 10 influence already. Or give more influence to non Kate/ETF decks. Also, give Haas a grail card so custom biotics gets better kthx

Increasing influence shouldn’t be problematic since if anyone has missed that, they will only have used to little influence. As long as they don’t increase to much.

I think this would be quite cool. NEH could even get more influence or even a stronger ability (say, every time you create a new server you draw) if they were more strongly forced into being horizontal. I’d be interested in seeing some creative thoughts about good drawbacks. How about having an additional cost of placing a card from HQ on top of R&D in order to install a piece of ice? That way, a deck which creates remotes more than it installs ice benefits, while a deck which does the opposite does not, which seems appropriate for a horizontal ID.

I think that’s really interesting and a good way to potentially protect R&D if the runner doesn’t have multiaccess cards.

1 Like

…but that’s an advantage being able to control the top card of R&D lol

2 Likes

It’s not obvious to me that the advantage you gain by knowing the top card of R&D outweighs the fact that you draw slower. I just wanted to make something which would make the ID more of a dedicated horizontal ID, and figured it would be neat to have the drawback to not being horizontal “symmetric” to the advantage of being horizontal. But there might be better ways of achieving this.

1 Like

Seeing as it’s a Jinteki Card, my first thought was “Draw 3 cards and put a Snare on top of R&D.”

Am I the only one that thinks that MWL + reduced influence makes NEH pretty bad, pretty quickly in comparison to Haarp, Sync, and Spark?

Nerfing cards is not the way forward, no matter how much you dislike them.

2 Likes

I don’t know about that, I’ve never thought any id that came out of nbn not called near earth hub was worth playing really. Maybe NEH is worse with all the noise I’m seeing around lately. Which makes glacier also pretty difficult as well, can’t tell you how many games come down to the last few cards in r&d, and how often I have to pray that the runner isn’t paying attention to my deck quantity. Which is lame

I actually think the opposite. Decks moved to HAARP and left NEH in the dust but now Butchershop might come back to it because it allows you to play Astros, Scorched and Traffic Accident.

Yeah, and if you remove the two influence like people are talking about in this thread, that’s gone. That’s my point.

4 Likes

Ok, I’m an idiot who doesn’t know how to read. Derp.

2 Likes

Ignoring Rebirth, Sterling is badly in need of a bump.

Problem is that Criminal has no recursion, nor is their a suitable neutral option. So you don’t have the influence to put in multiples of cards, nor the ability to put in Levy without playing an almost entirely vanilla criminal deck.

Even to 12 would make a pretty big difference.

Kit’s influence penalty hurts way less because Shaper has so many tools already.

The minifaction IDs are all cool ideas, but all suffer from influence. I suspect they were very difficult to playtest and they simply underestimated how tight 25 points is when you basically have no cardpool.

More influence would have helped here, but another option would have been to give them partial affinity to another color. They were designed as twisted alternatives of the main factions, so perhaps 10-15 additional influence that was only available for their colour twist would also have worked.

(Apex - anarch, Sunny - crim, Adam - shaper if you didn’t know).

2 Likes

I actually think 30 influence would have been fine for making Adam and Sunny properly competitive, and beyond that you’d actually run out of space/just be doing a knock off of the other factions.

30 lets Adam play enough icebreaker tutors in addition to splashing icebreakers, and lets Sunny play enough hostages or SMCs to make her deck types moderately consistent at setting up.

Apex’s problems run deeper than lack of influence though.

1 Like