Imaginary Cards

Plenty of great card ideas! Here are a few ONR remakes I brainstormed:

! Arasaka Portable (4$)
Hardware - Console
+3 MU
Recurring Credits (2)
Use these credits during runs.
As an additional cost to install Arasaka Portable you must forfeit an agenda.
Limit 1 console per player.
Shaper * *

“Its like a mini-Corporation in my pocket!” - Princess Space Kitten

(Decent synergy with Notoriety, Shi.Kyu (thank you, Jinteki!) and the upcoming Fan Site.)

Flak (4$) 1 MU
Program - Icebreaker
1$: Break AP subroutine.
1$: +3 Strength
Strength 0
Shaper * *

“What was that? A waste of my time!”

(Reasonable anti-AP breaker, since Shapers tend to get net prevention.)

Trauma Team (3$)
Resource - Connection
Put two power counters on Trauma Team when you install it.
Click: Put two power counters on Trauma Team.
Hosted power counter: Prevent 1 net damage.
2 hosted power counters: Prevent 1 meat damage.
3 hosted power counters: Prevent 1 brain damage.
Trash Trauma Team if you are tagged.
Shaper * *

“I hear the ATLUS division has been working miracles.”

(Felt like this one’s a bit unnecessary, but felt its an option. Could work in Cybernetic decks, maybe?)

Ifrit (2$) 0 MU
Program - Daemon
Ifrit can host up to 3 MU of icebreaker programs.
The memory costs of hosted programs do not count against your memory limit.
Icebreakers installed on Ifrit have their strength reduced by 1.
Anarch * *

“Trade power for knowledge, or knowledge for power?”

(Great for big-rig virus suites running Datasucker anyway. Its like Djinn for breakers. Nothing beats having a Djinn and Ifrit at your disposal!)

Pox (0$) 1 MU
Program - Virus
When you install Pox, choose a central server. As an additional cost to install a card in or protecting the selected server the Corp must pay 1$.
Trash Pox if the Corp purges virus counters.
Anarch * * *

“A Pox! How delightful, a Pox.”

(One of my favorites. Great for server locks. Keyhole, Nerve Agent, you name it, we got it.)

Rigged Investment (4$)
Resource
Put 12$ from the bank onto Rigged Investment when it is installed. When your turn begins, take 1$ from Rigged Investment. When there are no credits left on Rigged Investments, trash it.
Anarch *

“Why save money for later when you can use it now?”

(Anarchs were never good at getting money efficiently, and this card shows it. I guess Noise could include this for drip-econ, selling it off to Aesop when its time for glory run. The Supplier and Career Fair could give this card some better payout.)

Military Support (0$)
Resource - Connection - Virtual
Install only if you stole an agenda this turn. All icebreakers have +1 Strength.
Criminal * *

“I’m expecting the air strike any moment now.” - Runner A
"You’re being too literal." - Runner A

(Criminals need better icebreakers and love stealing agendas. Just goes together if you ask me! Like a river heading towards a waterfall. Tempo boosts, please.)

Synchronized Attack (0$)
Event - Priority - Run
Play only as your first click.
Make a run. Gain 2$ for each installed connection resource. After the run is completed, return to the bank any of the unspent credits and take 2 tags.
Criminal * *

“Remember that air strike I was talking about?” - Runner A
groans - Runner B

(Its Calling In Favors but on stims. With Account Siphon after-taste. Might need to cost a little more startup (or influence), considering racking up Connections isn’t that difficult in the first place.)

Tri-Maf Loan (0$)
Resource
When Tri-Maf Loan is installed put 4 power counters on it and gain 10$. When your turn begins, remove 1 power counter from Tri-Maf Loan, if able. Otherwise, trash Tri-Maf Loan. When Tri-Maf Loan is trashed either pay 12$ or take 5 meat damage.
Criminal * * *

“Now with interest!”

(Saw something very, VERY similar in the thread, but this one’s a tad different, so here it is. You can not safely Aesop it without penalty. Better use that loan wisely. With interest!)

1 Like

I never played ONR but wasn’t this a horribly broken card in the old netrunner? The card that destroyed the ONR’s meta? This version may be more balanced but I’d worry about reintroducing this kind of effect given its history.

Well, at first I thought Uninstall could abuse this, but thankfully, its only for Programs / Hardware. I can’t think of any other way this could be abused, except maybe with Muresh Bodysuit (which would just be a strategic play.) 5 meat damage is enough to threaten an unprepared runner (and before drawing up, unless Earthrise is up.) This could be compared to Bank Job, which gives 7 creds for 2 clicks, and prefers an open remote server. That TML gives 10 creds for 1 click is insane, but a 4 turn window to either make those creds back or take crippling meat damage (or win!) puts you on a heavy timer (which feels criminal to me). Think of it as ‘Stimhack’ for Criminals.

So what is shaper stimhack then? Super exploratory romp!

Yeah, that doesn’t make any sense. Stimhack is an Anarch thing - neither of the other two factions is that brave/reckless/stupid to take those sorts of risk…

Crims don’t need a risk/sideways card like this. I’m just not sure what it adds.

I disagree. An aggressive Crim’s ‘timer’ is more about the closing of a window of opportunity, and it’s not baked into the whole faction. Desperation isn’t their thing - sure they may lose this opportunity, but setting themselves up to get killed? Nah, not their style.

(Note: the card is very thematic - underworld loan - but I’m not sure if it makes sense in Criminal).
It’s also playing with fire in other ways.

HB ID:

45/15

Lower the advancement requirement of all Agendas you own by 1. You cannot score agendas the turn they are installed.

I really want MU to be good hahaha

Not the Criminal style? So why do Criminals get cards like Tri-Maf Contact (meat damage on trash), Grifter (trashed without a run), Autoscripter (trashed upon unsuccessful run), whereas other Runners don’t really get those types of cards (except purge virii, maybe).

It made sense to me because it allows for that ‘glory run’ that you often see. Its Criminal because its using your connections (which is quite Crim) to get what you need, when you need it. Also, hard to say Desperation isn’t their thing when their signature console is Desperado.

I normally wouldn’t argue heavily for something - but the things you’re saying in this case makes it look like you’ve ignored the faction’s cards completely.

Shaper’s stimhack! Let’s see!

Enlightenment (0$) Event - Run
Make a run. Installed icebreakers get +2 strength until the end of the run. When the run ends, you lose 2 MU until the end of the turn.

(Just some Kit love, as far as the thematic naming. ‘Journey to Enlightenment’ seems like too much.)

1 Like

How about search your stack for 3 mu of programs, make a run, trash all programs when finished. I like your idea, it would make an awesome shaper/snatch card if they ever go in that direction. Some cards just play better with certain factions better and more brutally with others, split influence could totally be a design helper

Desperado : a bold or violent criminal; especially : a bandit of the western United States in the 19th century (pulled from Merriam-Webster)

As for why not in style (as opposed to Tri-Maf) is that Tri-Maf isn’t likely to kill you by itself. (This will if you have any brain damage). The feel of it just doesn’t work in my head - I can’t see Iain, or Andy going to an underworld loan shark and borrowing a huge amount of money.

Self trashing here is just a timer - not really faction specific.

Trash under X circumstances isn’t really a faction thing. It’s a mechanical tool. We’ve seen it a few times, mostly in Anarch, Criminal and Neutral.

More broadly, Criminals risk stuff all the time - but they rarely risk themselves, if that makes any sense. “My programs/gear/buddies are disposable. I am not.”

I agree with parts of what you are saying, but I think the loan is totally a criminal thing to do, look at Mr. Li, he’s basically telling Gabriel he owns him for as long as he requires his services in the flavor text, though there is no downside to him being trashed . I think a card like that would be in flavor and mechanically sound, but I heard it was kind of broken in onr as well. It’s a lot of money at once, and you should probably be playing it to win the game, they could make it to be no more broken than stimhack (which is to say, it’s not)

I understand your points, and I see we’re just analyzing the mechanics / context differently. =^_^=

1 Like

Going to unload a few thematic cards, based on Greek mythos. Here goes!

Alcides - Courageous Warrior 0
45 / 15 - Natural
Whenever you use an icebreaker to break all subroutines on a single ice, that icebreakers gets +1 strength until the end of the run.

Circe - Goddess of Magic 1
45 / 12 - G-Mod
Before you take your first turn, put three power counters on Circe. Hosted power counter: When you break all subroutines on a piece of ice, you may trash that ice. The Corp may install a piece of ice in the same position, ignoring all install costs.

Sisyphus - Tormented Soul 0
40 / 15 - Clone
When your turn begins, draw 1 card. When your turn ends, take two meat damage if you did not score an agenda this turn.

Sagitta 10 3
Program - Icebreaker - AI
3: Break ice subroutine.
Strength 5

Aegis X 1
Program
When you install Aegis, put X power counters on it.
Hosted power counter: Prevent 1 net or meat damage.

Ring of Gyges 2 1
Program
: Make a run. Bypass the first piece of ice you encounter. You cannot access more than 0 cards for the remainder of this run unless they are installed.

<> Argo X
Resource - Virtual
When you install Argo, put X power counters on it. Trash Argo when there are no power counters left on it.
Hosted power counter: Look at the two cards of your stack. Put one into your grip and trash the other one.

<> Palladium 4
Resource - Virtual
As an additional cost to trash Palladium, the Corp must forfeit an agenda.
: Prevent a flatline.

<> Selene’s Chariot 5
Resource - Virtual
: Draw 1 card and make a run on a central server.

<> Golden Fleece 2
Hardware - Gear
As an additional cost to trash Resources, the Corp must pay 1.

<> Kibisis 4
Hardware - Gear
Whenever you break all subroutines on a piece of ice, put a credit from the bank onto Kibisis. At the end of your turn, transfer all credits from Kibisis to your credit pool.

<> Rota Fortunae 1
Hardware - Gear
When your turn begins, declare a number between 1 and 4. When your turn ends, gain that many credits if you made that many successful runs during this turn. Otherwise, lose that many credits.

Flood of Deucalion 3
Event - Current
This card is not trashed until another current is played or an agenda is scored.
When a player’s turn ends, they must trash 1 installed card, if able.

Titanomachy 4
Event - Current
This card is not trashed until another current is played or an agenda is scored.
Whenever you steal an agenda, the Corp forfeits an agenda and Titanomachy is trashed.

Gigantomachy 2
Event - Current
Both players have 1 additional to spend each turn.

Discussion is welcome! Took me an hour or so to come up with these off the top of my head. I think they’ve got a decent amount of balance, and every card fits a good niche.

3 Likes

These are awesome! I’m very impressed. I especially love Sysiphus, Aegis, and the interesting hardware as I feel thats fairly unexplored in the game.

The symmetric effects on flood of Deucalion and Gigantomachy are very cool, even if I worry that flood is too powerful. Titanomachy I think is too good and also wierd as a current. The effect might work better as a run event where for every agenda you steal, the corp has to forfiet an agenda. It definitely becomes more Anarch then though. Also, how do you get the symbols / write in bold?

Here are a couple of my own ideas. Some of them I might have already posted here or elsewhere, I can’t remember.

• Mr. White - 2c
    Resource - connection
    Whenever a scored or stolen agenda is forfieted, add it to HQ unless the runner pays 1c.
    2 inf - Criminal

(From the infiltration game, ideally would work with Frame Job - Raymond Flint but not sure about timing)

• Proffessor Yukri - 3c
    Resource - connection
    The cost of the first peice of hardware you install each turn is halved (rounding up). Trash Professor Yukri if you do not install any hardware on your turn.
    2 inf - Shaper

(Go Monolith Go!)

Grand Design - 1c
Event - Double
(Double stuff) Forfeit an agenda, install a card from your grip or heap ignoring all costs.
2 inf - Shaper

(What else would they do with the information they steal? Also Moar Monolith)

Credit Crash - 3c
Event - Current
(Current stuff) Neither player may gain credits through card effects. Discard Credit Crash if the corp ever has 0c.
3 inf - Anarch
"All I did was bring some stuff up on peoples feeds, they did the rest" - Noise.

(Cool powerful effect suggested by a friend).

Hope you enjoy! Obviously I don’t know about the balance and would appreciate others thoughts.

Mr. White would be insane with Data Dealer in Leela…and I approve. First click, steal an agenda and bounce something, second click forfeit it for 9 credits, third click run HQ with Legworks/HQI steal it again plus maybe another agenda, bounce more stuff…seems fantastic in that it opens brand new lines of play as opposed to making something that already exists better. Great horizontal design thinking there.

1 Like

So I have three cards brewed up. The first two are thematically paired:

Aggravating Taunts
Anarch Event - Current
2 influence.
2 Cost
This card is not trashed until another current is played or a agenda is scored.

Name an Executive. When you play this card and at the start of each turn, the Corp may pay 2 credits. If they don’t, the named Executive’s text box is blank until the end of the turn.

“Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaace” - Whizzard, to Jack Weyland

Airlock Failure
Weyland Operation - Black Ops
3 influence
1 Credit

Play only if the runner installed two resources or played two events during their last turn.

Trace 4 - if successful, do 3 meat damage.
“Space? I’ll show you space.” - Jack Weyland, to Whizzard

Airlock failure started with the flavor text and concept - dumping the runner out an airlock, or at least trying to (seems like standard Weyland payback).

So how do you do another Weyland Meat Damage Operation? This is a key (if not plentiful) part of the faction, and I feel that the current options are congested around specific points.

Scorched Earth and Traffic Accident take the most obvious road, tags. There’s not much to do there on the operations front - Scorch is big, Accident is small, and their isn’t really another good one to design.

However, this means you have to work with tagging ops, most likely SEA Source or Midseason. So the question of “Can he hurt me?” Boils down to two conditions. 1) did you make a successful run or 2) Did you steal an agenda?

Punitive Counterstrike is cool, especially as a sensibly splashable damage package to HB, but it doesn’t solve the problem - it just changes the math around option 2.

So what else is a good condition for Weyland to have an opening? Can’t be to broad. So instead of basing this around tags or theft, I based it around activity. Do to much to fast and Weyland has an opening to find you. I’d have to playtest the cost to trace balance, but I intentionally made the barrier to murder rather low, given the specificity of the the trigger conditions.

Now, this does get incredibly good versus resource based Haley builds, but I think she can manage. Comet decks also take a hit.

And also an unrelated card:

Adaptability Training
Weyland Agenda - Initiative
3/1
X is the number of copies of Adaptability Training in all score areas.

X recurring credits.

Use these credits to play Operations.

This stemmed from a design self-challenge - how do you do Voice-Pad style things on the Corp side? BABW could use some love.

Assets are to vulnerable. Ice doesn’t make sense. Upgrades could work, but seem off. A 3/1 agenda seemed like a natural place to put it.

However, you quickly run into a problem. Given how early you can score a 3/1, you don’t want to attach a big econ boost to them. However, 1 recurring credit is to wimpy. 2 is to much if scored early. 3 is right out.

So what do you do? Variables!

I like how this gets stronger over the course of a game, but not in too predictable of a fashion.

1 Like

Adaptibility Training is hilarious, if you manage to score multiple. I realize scoring multiple 3-for-1s isn’t terribly feasible, but if you did manage to do so, this card would be completely out of control. Scoring a single Adaptability Training would give you 1 recurring credit to play operations (ehh); scoring two separate Adaptability Trainings would give you 4 recurring credits to play operations on your turn (wait, wha…); scoring the full triad would give you 9 recurring credits to play operations (BRUH)! I love how the amount of recurring credits it provides would always be completely different, depending on how many are scored/stolen and in whose score area (really neat modularity), but Restructure for 15 credits out of Core Set Weyland is just ridiculous. So is Triple Scorched from 0 credits.

Given how little setup is required for Oversight AI into Curtain Wall in Blue Sun though, I suppose it’s not quite so ridiculous. Plus, if you ever manage to score 3 of the same 1-pointer in a Weyland deck, you probably deserve to win. :stuck_out_tongue:

A+ for the gorgeous formatting!

Yeah, if you score all 3, then it kinda becomes “Operations have a play cost?” but that’s fine given the amount of investment, luck, and protection required to make that happen.

One of the most broken card in the CCG was Loan from Chiba, mainly because you could play like 10 of them, coupled with power draw and heavy deck recursion.
With that in mind and the limitation from A:NR, do you think this card is also broken in A:NR ?