Imaginary Cards

I was thinking it might be pretty fun to play some draft with custom cards.

Yeah, I think that would be a sweet jinteki.net feature. Uuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my nerrrrrrrd

1 Like

The cards on jinteki are individually coded. It would be impossible to automatically recognise how fanmade cards are supposed to work or even to allow people to code in their own fanmade cards without ending up with lots of broken interactions. If you want to play with fanmade cards you have to use a system that doesn’t code the workings of the cards like octgn. The nogoblinsallowed Magic:tG forum has their own fanmade cards format that they play using Cockatrice.

Well, if you could just quickly type in what the card does and slap it on a basic proxy image, that’s workable I think.

Also, I think fan made magic cards are fafftastic

Overclocking
Neutral event.

2 credits. 0 inf

Gain 3 clicks. Skip your next turn.

Neutral 4/2 agenda 0 inf

This agenda gains the text box of an agenda in either score area while in the corps score area.

Shaper resource

2 inf

2 clicks: remove a power counter on a card in play

Criminal program - AI
5 inf 2 cost

The influence limit of this deck is reduced by 1 (to a minimum of 1)
Whenever a card is rezzed this card gains 1 str for the remainder of the run

1 credit: +1 str
3 credit: +4 str

1 credit: break up to 3 subroutines on a piece of ice rezzed this turn.
2 credit: break 1 ice subroutine.

1 Str

I don’t know if the text on your criminal program would fit on a card.

Here’s an Anarch console

Artificer - $4
Hardware
+1MU
Click: Place $2 from the bank on Artificer.
You can use the credits on Artificer during a run on a remote server.
Limit 1 console per player.

1 Like

Weyland identity I came up with just now. Given that the best Weyland econ options are agendas, I wanted to make using that somewhat more reliable. This might restrict design space down the line but a lot of the interactions with this tickle my fancy.

Weyland ID: Some Theme
45/15
The “when scored” abilities on your agendas also trigger when they are stolen.
For the purposes of their text box, cards in the runner’s score area count as being in yours.
We always come out ahead.

Some interactions:

• Atlas: mushin advance. If you take it, I can search for Midseasons.
  • Posted Bounty: Somewhat like QPM. I can stop you from stealing it if I take a BP.
  • Geothermal/High-Risk/Hostile: MONEY
  • Government Takeover: I mean, I guess I’ll click for 3 credits as long as the game continues.
  • He-3: lol
  • GFI: awful
  • Merger: PLAYABLE?

Alternative version, change the second line to “You may use the activated abilities of agendas in the runner’s score area.” Weaker, simpler. Kills the Posted Bounty interaction, which I found too cute. Also kills PSF interaction.

2 Likes

Actually Posted has to be forfeited on score I’m an idiot. But man you would rack up the BP with that ID.

What about just “The first time you would take a bad publicity each turn, avoid taking one bad publicity”?

Lets you use Geothermal and Hostile without feeling like a complete dweeb, and you can actually try to tax someone while playing them. Grim becomes notably better, but stops people from going apeshit with Profiteering for 15 etc. Is that too weak?

2 Likes

I worry about it being just another boring numbers ID, but it doesn’t seem awful. A lot of illicit ICE could be really good. Hell, Checkpoint would be playable.

I’d much rather have an identity that gave a side ways benefit on gaining bad pub, something like:

The first ice the runner encounters each run gains +1 strength for each bad publicity you have.

1 Like

Oh man, anarchy would reign no longer with that ability.

Midrange AIs
Essentially AIs being so cheap and easy pushes rush out to much and makes offensive agenda abilities pretty much irrelevant.
On the other hand corp ice has reached a point where the runner can be properly taxed out in the late game. Thus the idea for some ‘mid-game’ AI breakers - ones that can’t stand alone but will power up an existing icebreaker suite.

Lamarck
●●●●○ (Shaper) 6c 2MU
Program: Icebreaker - AI
Whenever you initiate a run, you may choose an icebreaker and pay 1c. If you do, Lamarck gains one of that icebreakers abilities until the end of the run.
Strength 6

Lamarck is pretty straightforward, effectively powering up one of your existing breakers to strength six.

Sharp
●●●●○ (Criminal) 2c 1MU
Program: Icebreaker - AI
When you install Sharp, search your grip and stack for 5 cards and host them facedown on Sharp, then shuffle your stack.
Reveal a card hosted on Sharp at random: If the revealed card is a fracter; break up to 3 barrier subroutines, if the revealed card is a decoder, break up to 3 code gate subroutines, if the revealed card is a killer; break up to 3 sentry subroutines, if the revealed card is not an icebreaker; you may jack out. Use this ability only while encountering ice and only once per encounter.
1c; +2 Strength
Strength: 2

Though its a lot of text Sharp is pretty simple, but the optimal proportions of what to put on it would require a heck of a lot of skill - do you put no icebreakers on there and use it as a jack out machine, one of each and use it to discount your runs (1/5 or 2/5 chance to making a small ice tax nothing), or put a bunch of one type to make a properly efficient icebreaker (put 3 crowbars on there and criminals finally have an ‘okay’ decoder ;))

1 Like

It’s also finally an alright use for Leviathan!

1 Like

I like the idea but I know it has too many words to fit on card, Here is my alternate wording, with a slightly different effect:

When you install Sharp, search your grip and stack for 5 cards and host them facedown on Sharp, then shuffle your stack.

Reveal a card hosted on Sharp at random: If the revealed card is a non-AI icebreaker, Sharp gains all “break” abilities on the revealed card, until you encounter a piece of ice. Use this ability only once during an encounter.

You may pay 0[credit], instead of the normal cost to use “break” abilities on Sharp.

1[credit]: +2 Strength

But I’m not even sure if that would be short enough to fit on a card .

Here are the character counts on some of the wordier programs, I put counts including Flavor Text in (parentheses)

• My Sharp: 443
  • Your Sharp: 522
  • Pawn: 332
  • Knight: 233 (362)
  • Copycat: 253 (364)

Weyland ID

45/10

The first time a Corp card is trashed each turn, the corp player may pay 2 credits to deal 1 meat damage to the runner.

1 Like

Was the wording on this deliberately formed to screw Noise, or was that an accident? IMO, it should be more like Hostile Infrastructure: “The first time the runner trashes a corp card each turn…”

1 Like

I think it could be possible if you used the minifont from Personal workshop.

Or you could do it like so and hope its clear enough:

Reveal a card hosted on Sharp at random: If the revealed card is a non-AI icebreaker, break up to 3 subroutines that an ability on the revealed card could break. Use this ability only once during an encounter.

It was with noise in mind. Problem is, I don’t want to include stuff like Adonis or CVS.

Maybe wording like “whenever the runner trashes a Corp card or the corp is forced to trash a card…”

You know every operation is trashed after resolving, right…?

There has been a lot of talk about Faust being possibly problematic and near impossible to stop. This Ice attempts to accomplish a few things:
Give Weyland an anti-AI
Fight Faust and other AI without being too terrible for non-AI users to break
Be thematic: Faust comes from a German Legend of a man who sold his soul for unlimited knowledge.
This was eventually adapted into plays and books and the Demon who makes the deal is Mephistopheles.
In the stories, eventually Mephistopheles collects on his deal with Faust by taking his soul.
In game, this plays out as:
Punishing those who have made contracts for intelligence (AI’s) and offering minor deals to any player who has not made a pact (breaking it’s sub with a card)

Mephistopheles
Weyland
ICE: Code Gate (Maybe Barrier?)
STR 7 - 3 c (Maybe 4) - inf 2

The runner may trash a card from their grip to break any Subroutine on Mephistopheles

When the Runner encounters Mephistopheles, if there is an installed AI, it gains " -> End The Run." for each card in the Runner’s grip for the remainder of this run.

-> End The Run

I am the spirit that denies

7 Likes