It's not that hard, and she's pretty hardcore - Leela Patel

I played against her last night in SHL4 as Blue Sun and was reminded of what a pain in the ass she is. The only thing that allowed me to win was that she bounced Breaker Bay Grid instead of the crucial Ash out of my scoring server when I was going for the winning score.

“She’s still good.”

-S. Houston

1 Like

I did rather poorly at the Tulsa Regional w/Leela, despite winning the psi game on every Future Perfect I accessed (3-for-3) across the tournament. Played against four Jinteki decks and one Blue Sun deck. My two losses were to my wife’s Power Shutdown PE (yes, drove 800+ miles to play my wife in the second round of Swiss, lovely) and remoteless Tennin.

My opening turn against PE was to install Corroder and install Faerie, so as not to lose them to net damage. Her second turn was to Celeb Gift, showing me two Power Shutdowns in hand. Great. I knew I shouldn’t have cut that second Corroder from the deck. >_<

Remoteless Tennin/Chicago Lightning game was awful. I got to 5 points early and couldn’t do anything to get the last 2. Was just about locked out of central servers with Caprice and Ashigaru on R&D, Susanoo on HQ… at one point was spending 9 credits on R&D to take a pot shot at Caprice (sadly, I had nowhere close to a perfect psi record against Caprice in the tournament). At one point a Celebrity Gift was played, showing me three agendas in hand; guess he figured it didn’t matter since I couldn’t get into HQ. I did a hard install of Utopia Shard, triggered it, and ran Archives… I hit both non-agenda cards in hand. =/

Tulsa aside, I went 11-0 with Leela across three tournaments (one w/up to Valley legal, two w/up to Breaker Bay legal) in the week prior to the Tulsa Regional, winning two of those tournaments and finishing second in the other, but ultimately I think it proved a poor meta choice for what I faced in Swiss there.

2 Likes

:blush: must have been a nice trip back… Was she gloating a lot?

1 Like

Leela finished Top 4 in Tulsa.

Hah, not particularly… It was a massacre for each of our Corps, we sat down before the game knowing it would be a Corp split and mutually assured destruction for our tournament hopes. My Leela deck has to get insanely lucky to beat her PE (I went 1-6 against it in practice rounds over the past two weeks - assumed nobody in Tulsa would be crazy enough to play PSD PE and didn’t expect to see damage PE either, so I didn’t change my deck at all; incorrectly assumed we wouldn’t get paired against each other in a field of 59) and she just can’t beat my Blue Sun glacier with her Kate deck (I think she’s at 0-5 against it now).

1 Like

It looked like everyone and their mom was playing her though, and, at least on stream, she looked super impotent vs RP.

Well, I haven’t watched, but heard the one in the T4 severely botched plays throughout v. @AceJack. It’s a tough matchup, no doubt, but not unbeatable.

I think it’s bad enough that you’d have to be crazy to bring her to a tournament in this sort of environment.

1 Like

There was a ton of Leela. I played 4 Leela and 4 RP in the 5 rounds of Swiss. Install advance advance a nisei. Next turn play cerebral static and advance out. Was able to do this a few times. Pretty nasty.

4 Likes

You can also just advance advance score reinstall :stuck_out_tongue: no tech necessary and you can potentially improve your ICE setup.

2 Likes

yeah I actually top decked the cerebral static in my first game after the IAA (obv did it to be able to reinstall whatever gets bounced) and was like oh wow this will work nice. main reason for cerebral static was to turn off anarchs like noise and MaxX as they are often difficult matchups for me.

2 Likes

I’m always really annoyed when I give ICE back to the corp when I didn’t want to–if I just dug for an agenda out of R&D, its a huge bummer giving them an ICE to put down over R&D.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s definitely a downside of Leela. If you can tell they’re ICE lite and under defended RnD, you can give them the opportunity to abandon their anti-sec test archives ICE to place it on RnD if you go in and steal. But it’s the flipside of the coin that allows you to bounce all of Blue Sun’s ICE via a lucky HQ steal followed by Medium pounding, so I’ll take the rough with the amazing.

2 Likes

Is anyone else still rocking Leela? I took her to a Regional today and went 9-0 with her against a huge range of decks, RP, Astrobiotics, Butcher shop, Boot Camp Glacier, HB glacier, HB rush / FA.

I think she’s really flexible right now, and can deal with numerous deck types.

5 Likes

your build?

Yeah, I’m still playing her. She feels almost as strong as ever, but the prevalence of HB is making me sad.

What’s your build looking like? Nice avatar, BTW.

I’m trying to convince @aandries to get back on her train, but, we have something else cooked up, as well.

2 Likes

That’s … ominous.

3 Likes

Full build is below.
Oh and the avatar change was because you were whining that I had the same one as someone else :wink:
This seemed appropriate!

Leela - Endless Waltz v5 (Sheffield Regional Winner)

Leela Patel: Trained Pragmatist

Event (18)
3x Account Siphon
3x Dirty Laundry
2x Emergency Shutdown
2x Inside Job
1x Legwork
1x Lucky Find ••
3x Special Order
3x Sure Gamble

Hardware (8)
3x Desperado
2x Plascrete Carapace
3x R&D Interface ••••• •

Resource (8)
2x Kati Jones
2x Same Old Thing
2x Security Testing
2x Symmetrical Visage

Icebreaker (10)
1x Cerberus “Rex” H2
2x Corroder ••••
3x Faerie
1x Femme Fatale
1x Mimic •
1x Passport
1x ZU.13 Key Master ••

Program (2)
2x Sneakdoor Beta

15 influence spent (max 15)
46 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Valley

Decklist published on http://netrunnerdb.com.

5 Likes

Having not played leela, whats the goal with the play, rigbuild while looking for windows? pressure hq and rnd and shutdown stuff?