Looking for a good basic Weyland deck

Hello again, as I mentioned before I’m a new player, up to 6 games now and I’ll be showing a friend of mine the game. I showed him the factions and he’s most interested in Weyland and Jinteki. Since Jinteki is a bit tricksy we decided to go with Weyland.
Beyond that he is pretty open as am I. I’ll be bringing an HB Glacier style deck in addition to this and was hoping to have some kind of Weyland deck that was different - maybe a murder deck?

Anyway does anyone have any ideas for something that is fairly straightforward and fun for a new and a newer player?

What cards do you have available to use? Is everything available?

Weyland staples are money (through agendas), meat damage, and bad publicity. It also has a few cards for runner disruption, like Power Shutdown, Taurus, and a few others that are reasonable imports.

May I ask what runner deck you plan to use? If you’re running a top-tier deck, it limits the options he has for playing Weyland, since there’s only a few strong Weyland decks in the competitive circuit.

EDIT: If you don’t have restrictions on cards, I might suggest this deck using the GRNDL ID, courtesy of @lpoulter.

The basic strategy seems to be a mix of murder, runner disruption, and scoring behind a remote server if you can.

I have everything (including 3 cores - yay for selling Warhammer 40k and rolling hobby money over into hobby).

I will be running a deck that @mediohxcore recommended (but will be piloting it poorly I am sure).

Andromeda: Dispossessed Ristie

Event (18)
3x Account Siphon
3x Dirty Laundry
1x Emergency Shutdown
3x Inside Job
2x Legwork
3x Special Order
3x Sure Gamble

Hardware (5)
3x Desperado
1x Net-Ready Eyes ••
1x Plascrete Carapace

Resource (10)
1x Bank Job
2x Earthrise Hotel
2x Kati Jones
1x Same Old Thing
3x Security Testing
1x Symmetrical Visage

Icebreaker (7)
2x Corroder ••••
2x Femme Fatale
1x Mimic •
1x Passport
1x Yog.0 •

Program (5)
3x Datasucker •••
2x Sneakdoor Beta

I’ll take a quick look at the GRNDL deck.

Power Shutdowns, Will’o’the’Wisp, a set of Scorched, and an SEA Source/Midseason then just a stack of random ICE/money are normally pretty decent, though not necessarily the best tournament deck.

Here’s a classic: Tournament-Winning Decklist: Keystone v2.0 · NetrunnerDB
I took the Info Overload out of mine for an SEA Source, went a little heavier on program trash, and found some room for the Wisp.

2 Likes

Hahaha. I know how much 40K can run you. Me and my friends have a running joke that none of us have the money for 40K minis, but if we did, we would rather do other things with our money, like open small restaurants. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

That list looks quite solid (not that I would expect less from the current World Champ), and will provide an interesting match-up against the list I provided. You have the one Carapace for keeping you alive, and both of you have tons of money. A few disruption pieces (like Power Shutdown) could potentially cause you grief if you lose Net-Ready Eyes, or something else important like Corroder. You have a few redundancies so that you won’t be completely locked out in most cases, though.

I think these two decks going head-to-head would be quite interesting.

1 Like

Steamin’

Blue Sun: Powering the Future

Agenda (9)
1x High-Risk Investment
2x Posted Bounty
3x Project Atlas
3x The Cleaners

Asset (6)
1x Adonis Campaign ••
1x Executive Boot Camp
3x Jackson Howard •••
1x Shattered Remains

Upgrade (1)
1x Crisium Grid

Operation (15)
3x Hedge Fund
1x Interns
3x Oversight AI
3x Restructure
3x Scorched Earth
2x SEA Source ••••

Barrier (10)
3x Curtain Wall
3x Hive
2x Ice Wall
2x Meru Mati

Code Gate (2)
2x Enigma

Sentry (6)
3x Caduceus
2x Janus 1.0 ••••• •
1x Taurus

15 influence spent (max 15)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Breaker Bay

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.

Better than Keystone, more fun, etc.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t start with blue sun. As corp, it’s quite unintuitive to figure out when you should and shouldn’t use the ability, and from the runner’s perspective, it doesn’t let you teach the tactic of early-game face checks just for the sake of pressuring the corp’s cred pool.

Try titan supermodernism instead. Something like this…

titan supermodernism teaching deck

Titan Transnational: Investing In Your Future (Order and Chaos)

Agenda (10)
2x High-Risk Investment (Order and Chaos)
2x Hostile Takeover (Core Set)
3x Oaktown Renovation (Chrome City)
3x Project Atlas (What Lies Ahead)

Asset (9)
3x Capital Investors (The Valley)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) [color=#FF8C00]•••[/color]
1x Mark Yale (Order and Chaos)
2x Snare! (Core Set) [color=#DC143C]••••[/color]

Upgrade (1)
1x Crisium Grid (First Contact)

Operation (12)
1x Biotic Labor (Core Set) [color=#8A2BE2]••••[/color]
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
1x Interns (Mala Tempora)
1x Midseason Replacements (Future Proof) [color=#FF8C00]••••[/color]
2x Restructure (Second Thoughts)
3x Scorched Earth (Core Set)
1x Traffic Accident (Order and Chaos)

Barrier (6)
1x Hadrian’s Wall (Core Set)
2x Hive (Double Time)
2x Ice Wall (Core Set)
1x Meru Mati (Breaker Bay)

Code Gate (5)
2x Enigma (Core Set)
1x Tollbooth (Core Set) [color=#FF8C00]••[/color]
2x Wormhole (Order and Chaos)

Sentry (5)
2x Archer (Core Set)
1x Grim (Opening Moves)
1x Hunter (Core Set)
1x Taurus i[/i]

Other (1)
1x Chimera (Cyber Exodus)
17 influence spent (max 17)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Chrome City

3 Likes

To build on this, the idea behind the “Supermodernism” archetype is to have the tools to threaten to kill the runner while scoring out as fast as you can. Most of the agendas make you money when/after you score them, which is nice since scoring agendas is usually a huge drain on money, which hurts your tempo as a corp. Also, keep in mind that your ID ability is to put an agenda counter on everything you score, even those agendas which don’t normally get them (in @bblum’s deck, those would be the Hostile Takeover and the Oaktown Renovation). You can use these with Mark Yale to make additional money, which adds up fast since his second ability triggers his first.

The only agenda that doesn’t make you money is Project Atlas, but this is probably the most important agenda for the Supermodernism archetype. With it, you can search your deck for critical pieces of your kill combo (Midseason’s Replacements, Scorched Earth, or the lone Traffic Accident) to kill the runner should they screw up. Since Titan gets a free counter on every agenda they score, you don’t need to over-advance the Project Atlas to get the counter, which is a pretty big deal, since every other Weyland identity has to telegraph the fact that what they just put in the server is advance-able and might be the Atlas. The Atlas counter is power. It says “if you run and I have more money than you, you’re probably dead.” This allows you to capitalize on either the runner’s fear of dying which allows you to score more agendas and win, or simply kill the runner and end the game if they make a bad run. And keep in mind that you can always use the Atlas counter to find your Midseason’s Replacements any time the runner has fewer credits than you and steals an agenda in order to bury them in more tags than they can handle, to kill off at your leisure later. Just remember that your kill condition relies on you having more credits than the runner.

This being said, remember that your primary win condition with this deck, despite the ability to kill the runner, is to score out as fast as possible under the threat of killing them. It’s a fun archetype. Hopefully this post helps more than confuses =P

3 Likes

I would also support the recommendation of Titan Supermodernism.

1 Like

Better than Keystone, more fun, etc.

Whoa whoa whoa, those are fighting words :stuck_out_tongue:

@hhooo 's list looks well suited though- I would give it a shot. I’m working with Keystone 3.0 right now but it’s not ready enough to give a list out; you could also check out Lanri, Timmy Wong’s 3rd placed World’s deck based on Keystone- it’s fast and fun to pilot, and not too hard of a learning curve.

I think @bblum is right. If you’re looking for a deck to get off the ground with then Blue Sun is a bad identity. It breaks the game in so many ways. I think there’s a strong case to be made for BABW. It’s probably a weaker ID than titan, but it’s got a simple, pretty powerful effect.

I want to write about Oaktown Renovation somewhere, that card has really brightened Weyland’s outlook on life. I think Weyland is doing ok again.

one blue sun makes a top 8 in 10 regionals
top 8s are NEH and RP since 2014 Nationals
blue sun breaks the game

I’m not saying Blue Sun is unfair. It’s good, fun, and really interesting. But it does break the game in so much as it significantly changes the rules and good lines of play in ways that no other ID does.

I don’t think it’s a good ID to learn with.

6 Likes

Right. Blue Sun “breaks the game” in the way that Nasir does. While playing that ID, it creates unintuitive economy choices and decision-making is different from the “fundamentals” of Netrunner. If our friend razortoy is looking for a basic deck, Blue Sun is not the ideal choice for beginners. The Supermodernism vein of decks is a good place to start.

I have to agree, But: I think it’s worth mentioning, outside of the very narrow and somewhat advanced archetype that is blue sun glacier, Weyland is not in a super strong spot right now. Its kill tools are often better splashed into NBN, it has arguably the weakest in-faction ICE selection (again, barring blue sun OAI tricks), conditional and often hard to score agendas (though oaktown does bring a lot to the table) and honestly even the econ is questionable (given that many of their best econ cards are agendas that give bad publicity). They have no scoring tools to speak of (a la biotic, ash, caprice, sansan, etc).

The TLDR is that your friend should wade into weyland with a big grain of salt; right now they aren’t in a great spot, and what few good decks they have are often quite difficult to play to their full potential.

(general caveat: Oaktown is already having a positive effect on weyland’s overall strength, and I think spiderweb may soon make weyland’s rush game a little more respectable. here’s hoping that the big W finds it’s legs outside of BS glacier sometime soon!)

1 Like

Thanks for the idea on how to run it! That really helps a lot.

1 Like

Blue Sun can be complicated, yes. I disagree with you all that Blue Sun and specifically Keystone are not good decks for beginners, though. Here’s why:

1. Blue Sun, more than an other ID, teaches you timing. When to use the ability, when not to, when scoring windows are. Identifying the proper times to do things is key to good Corp play, and the ability forces you into that mode.

2. Keystone, especially 2.0, showcases the power of high impact 1-of includes and forces you to consider how to properly leverage Atlas. Essential to good Weyland play.

3. Keystone includes a combination of program trash and bad pub. This shows a player how much bad pub can hurt when the runner has breakers, and how to play around it by using removal.

4. Keystone runs the kill. Do I even need to state how important it is to learn not only how to land it, but how to avoid it?

I just don’t think shying away from something with a little complication and a few extra moving parts really does anyone any favors. Netrunner is a complicated ass game, and ALL the IDs warp the fundimental rules. Better to jump in the deep end, IMHO.

3 Likes

To be fair, I guess the OP did ask for a BASIC deck. You guys are right that Keystone or really any Blue Sun aren’t basic.

3 Likes

I think for someone like me, that is probably a good thing and I will definitely be trying it out. For my friend who is just wanting to learn a bit about the game and play a couple of games I don’t want to put too much emphasis on the importance of timing and 1 ofs - ultimately, that means he will need to look at more cards and try and understand what they do. But for me, yeah it is already coping into my deck list on netrunnerdb. :smile:

1 Like

Look up Iain Reid’s 2 biotic version (London Store Champion from sometime in January) that deck’s a masterpiece. Also, there’s an article on netrunners.co.uk about it.

2 Likes