Mumbad Cycle

Love it.

I can’t wait for some old school never advance bullshit with Full Immersion studio and this card.

Viva’ Netrunner.

Where is salsette going to be played?

Noise - cant really afford to trash stuff with real money and whilst he would like to get rid of cyberdexes from the board permanently, he’d be better off doing it via Archives with the interface (also Salsettle doesn’t even function in archives).
Whizzard – seems to cope pretty well already with spammy decks, salsettle seems a bit win more.
Other Anarchs – there is probably a home here in non-imp decks, so will usually alongside scrubber.
Criminals/shapers – 2-4 influences and a couple of deck slots seems a big ask.

All in all, I don’t think this will be the deathknell for museum people think it is.

2 Likes

Now add Hyperdriver, Keyhole and Apocalypse. Boom!

1 Like

So Anarch gets all the silver bullets and they all cost two influence now. Seems like a good idea. Let’s just say I am a tad disappointed.

1 Like

I can see it being played in Whizzard or other anarchs. Getting cards removed the game is very powerful, otherwise you’d have to trash all the museums in one turn or they’ll just recur each other (and MCH can bring them all to play very fast).

This is also why I don’t really like the card. It has the danger of making the matchup too rock/paper/scissors, where an asset based corp just auto-loses to anarchs and auto-wins against others. Time will tell.

3 Likes

Although, given Whizzards place in the meta, I would say it probably is enough to push asset decks out of tier 1.

If you already were probably going to lose, but could have probably ran a grindy game against Whiz, that seems alright.

The slums makes this matchup not even a problem.

It’s probably worth the slot for a while.

That’s true. I’ve played IG against Whizzard a few times, and it’s not impossible to win, and even if the field was 50% Whizzard I thought I could play that deck. But if those Whizzards start slotting Salsette slums, no way.

(Regarding Whizzard, I think the ID is also badly designed. It has the same rock/paper/scissors problem, of being too strong against specific decks. Edward Kim is much better designed, because you don’t have to install Operations; Kim can’t just run remotes and trash everything. Breaking ICE is not trivial to either, but if you access remotes as Whizzard, you almost always find something worth the ID, while for Kim accessing the operations is not trivial. I won’t be sad to see Whizzard go with rotation. And I don’t mind these Faust/Wyldside near as much as most seem to.)

4 Likes

I think when Whizzard first game out, it was fine, because covering the board in assets just wasn’t a thing corps planned to do. So it wasn’t three extra credits every single turn of the game ever.

When you think about that ID ability in the current meta, it’s just absurd.

2 Likes

i suppose there will be a whizzard which slots 2xslum and gets a clone chip back, dropping the 3x 1inf tech cards he currently uses (emp strike, film critic, polop). not sure that’s an optimal move though, but maybe required in the short term to scare museum decks out of the meta

Set – ID – Agenda – Asset – ICE – Op – Upgrade
Core – 7% – 13% – 15% – 32% – 23% – 10%
1st – 8% – 18% – 18% – 32% – 14% – 11%
2nd – 4% – 17% – 17% – 31% – 24% – 6%
3rd – 7% – 15% – 17% – 33% – 16% – 11%
4th – 8% – 17% – 24% – 27% – 12% – 12%
5th* – 4% – 13% – 39% – 18% – 18% – 9%

• includes all known and spoiled cards so far

The rise of competitive whizzard really started during sansan - its obvious why, particularly when one considers the power level of cycles 3,4,5 is much greater than 1, 2

2 Likes

Totally. Previously you didn’t have a must-trash asset on the table almost every single turn of the game. Now we have SanSan, Jackson, all those political assets, Jeeves, all the alliance cards, Team Sponsorship, DBS…

1 Like

Almost all of the Anarch IDs are kind of Rock/Paper/Scissors though.

Kim and Whizzard are anti Operation and Assets/Upgrades respectfully and require you to play those cards slightly differently. Also, had Kim been released when Whizzard was he would have actually seen play as the game was mostly operations based for the first cycle. Whizzard will stay firmly in the meta until he cycles out and he is pretty much required right now so that the meta doesn’t spiral out into asset hell.

Quetzal beats barriers. She is probably tied with Kim for being the worst right now, since Barriers are so bad.

Noise mills, which hurts lots of different decks, but especially decks that are combo oriented. (again, Rock vs Combo’s paper).

Reina was originally supposed to be the cred denial ID. Unfortunately, her ability just isn’t up to snuff right now and I don’t really see her coming back without something big in the last cycle before she rotates out.

MaxX and Val are probably the two exceptions, although Val is a pretty good counter to glacier. MaxX is fast, which plays well into just about everything.

3 Likes

Rough ID classification, I don’t know the stats but I would be surprised if any tournaments have been taken down recently with IDs outside the top 2 groups.

Group 1: Whiz, Noise, Kate
Group 2: Maxx, Val, Hayley, Leela, Andy
Group 3: Reina, Kit, CT, Jez, Gabe, Geist, Adam
Group 4: Quetz, Kim, Nasir, Sil, Nero, Sunny
Group 5: Prof, Exile, Iain, Fisk, Apex

1 Like

I don’t know. We feel pretty deep into one of those layers of asset hell right now, and for everything Whizzard does to drag us out, Faust and ice destruction drags us deeper in.

5 Likes

Without Whizzard present, I don’t think we would see a sudden return of glacier strategies. Cards like Pol Op would probably become far more popular than they already are and do their part in reigning in that, meaning you either go back to asset hell or ride the astro train.

I agree, Faust is a bit too good right now, but I am hopeful that we will have a solution eventually for the card.

Agreed (and it’s not either/or with asset spam and the astro train!). So how much is Whizzard keeping assets at bay, really, and how much is it just the best option left to corps, while Whizzard gets to prey on them with his absurd ID ability?

1 Like

Yep, even if people want to promote “ICE and breakers” as the core of Netrunner, if ICE destruction reaches a certain level, it simply isn’t possible to release new cards to directly promote this: any useful ICE would either need a very specific special effect to resist trashing (like Architect and Lotus Field) or some other effect that means it can do something worth its rez cost even if later trashed (like Magnet). Or I suppose you could release ICE at a higher power level than all the rest (not a good idea!). The only other way to actually support an ICE-based strategy is, maybe counterintuitively, through assets (or operations) that either draw Runner attention and deck slots away from ICE destruction tools, protect ICE from being destroyed as easily somehow, or return trashed ICE from the bin.

3 Likes

Never really gave it much thought before but yeah, that’s basically dead on. Kind of sad.

Maybe there’s a color error and Salsette Slums is actually a blue card. We don’t have to lose hope just yet, there’s still time for them to change it.

I am heartily impressed with Bazaar for the future breaking of the game it’s going to accomplish at some point, leaving me in awe similar to seeing Surat City Grid rezzing a janus for 3 credits and everything else for nothing. What if it ends up being great in Nasir of all runners?

Personality Profiles is stupid until they make the card that let’s you put out of faction agendas worth 1 point in your deck (or maybe the security sub types, either way, way unlikely). I mean it’s not stupid, cause I’d like to play it with self destruct chips. It’s not even an additional cost. It’s like most HB cards are sitting on a precarious, razors edge of being good and being bad, and they’re always apparently quite broken in initial play testing. So we get the version of cards that is slightly neutered. Imagine if Ronald Five made it cost an additional click to trash things as opposed to what it is now, or indeed if it was an additional cost to search your attack with Personality Profiles.

I digress, it’s going to be a lot of fun shoving Housekeeping and those security agendas in a cybernetics deck and eventually moving on to ETF.

Lastly, I’ll also have fun doing this with all the psi cards as well. Wait, we’ll have a card that let’s the Corp initiate another psi game, or increase the number of credits the players can spend to 1, 2, and 3 or maybe even 0, 2, 3. Either way, I’m going to get started on the totally unnecessary psi deck now. It’ll probably have Encrypted Portals in it I predict

Does anyone think Aryabhata Tech will be useful? I’d like to dream of a deck that can somehow score Restructured Datapool and deny the runner credits while gaining credits themselves (probably out of core NBN), but it seem difficult/unlikely to set up.

Troll gets a nice boost gaining a pop-up window effect to its trace. Other tracer ICE get a little better, but runners rarely let a trace fire anyways.

I can’t think of a runner that runs on few/no credits that also doesn’t care about tags. If one were able to build this combo up in a kill deck, it would become difficult for the runner to keep up with credits and cards.

But running a ‘real’ 5/3 seems suicidal. Giving up 3 points is very painful, if the datapool were

1 Like