Mumbad Cycle

How exactly does Mumbad City Grid work? If I have a server of Tollbooth, Quandary, Quandary can I make them encounter the Tollbooth 3 times?

4 Likes

The name seems to be a bit Soylent Green… Hints there will be a negative effect for the corp when stolen?

2 Likes

Yes! You can have tollbooth and unrezzed ICE and it still works! Better pack some Gordian Blades folks!

3 Likes

seems that way. put some really taxing ICE in the outermost layer over a central with Mumbad City Grid and Mumbad Virtual Tour in the root and play An Offer You Can’t Refuse and watch the runner cry (or just give you your point). won’t even need to go for the kill for AOYCR lol

2 Likes

Mumbad City Grid is probably the best card we have text for. It’s basically a Twins that actually works.

3 Likes

It’s tollbooths all the way down. Once

1 Like

Then Tenma Line it back up to do it again.

3 Likes

With a plan like that, how could you lose?

12 Likes

also good for swapping around positional ICE like Bandwidth into Pachinko. still not sure if i’d use it though. you’re still giving them two encounters against a sub-less Pachinko on the first run, and then they trash your grid (granted, you won’t really need it anymore i guess).

What do you mean “once”? I have a Caprice in there too.

All jokes aside, you could realistically run that in glacier IG.

2 Likes

well now you are just being rude.

2 Likes

Are you sure? What about the whole “outermost ice not already approached” thing? It’s already got some special cases (Architect/Crick, Cell Portal), but wouldn’t you need another special case here or else the runner has already previously approached the Tollbooth and thus approaches the next ice instead?

At least that is what it seems to me:
"When the runner passes a piece of ICE protecting this server, you may swap that ice with another piece of ICE protecting this server"
So, the runner has passed tollbooth, now you can swap it with another piece of ice protecting this server, so you swap it with the next ICE, that the runner hasn’t encountered yet.

Cause if the runner moves with the tollbooth it would be so broken, you would just always swap the innermost ICE with the outermost and the runner would be trapped in a infinite run.

At the end of the day, are you really going to look me in the eye and tell me that Tenma Line is the optimal choice in your deck?

4 Likes

Mumbad City Grid looks ok, although I expect it will be hard to pull off in practice and probably needs the support of something like Tenma Line. The rest is pretty uninspiring at this stage, but you do need the context of the whole cycle in order to really appreciate where they might be going with some of it (and also appreciate Data and Destiny will be a thing by then as well).

I like the Alliance mechanic, but don’t see any of them seeing play, except possibly Virtual Tour in horizontal Jinteki/NBN.

The consumer-grade hardware looks utterly atrocious. I’m guessing that’s in there to support draft format, because it’s very hard to see it making an impact in constructed, given the present environment. Is the 6 limit really necessary? You only get full value from them if you can get them all installed, so it’s begging for Replicator. Perhaps we’ll see some random Runner tech that self-inflicts net damage and Geist can use these as card draw… Or perhaps there will be a runner economy event that installs all copies of a certain card direct from stack or something. I feel they’d need that in order to be half-way useful. But even then, it’s a dead card in a huge number of matches, so why would you want to fill your deck with them? I suspect there’s a plan here, or else it’s just lazy design to print one useless card and double the number of copies.

The Deva breaker is potentially interesting, but needs support from Paintbrush, Kit, Tinkering and possibly the Panchatantra to do anything on its own. Maybe the other Deva programs are useful, but if they all work like that they will eat up hand space and make Shapers very susceptible to damage. But perhap’s they’re designed to run a minimal rig to keep MU free and can sustain an economy engine using Data Folding or what not?

I’m more interested in the cards we haven’t seen than the ones we have.

1 Like

Not yet - the Tollbooth is actually a Komainu which gets more and more and more subs.

3 Likes

Lol of course not the Tenma line. That’s johnny combo as fuck. I was just being cheeky.

If Mumbad City Grid works in that the runner has to encounter the ice again, then yes I could see RP/IG using it.

If it just moves the ice down a step and lets the runner through, then it’s shit.

1 Like

making someone encounter 30 komainu subroutines for 8credits of rez cost (5 for koma 3 for mumbad city grid) seems pretty damn good

2 Likes

Well, there’s the 15 credits in install cost to be considered too. But yeah, it does.