Museum of Contempt

I think the best Errata for MoH is:

This card costs 0 influence if you have 50 or more cards in your deck.
When your turn begins, you may shuffle 1 card from Archives into R&D that is not Museum of History.

Like reclamation order.

1 Like

Or just:

When rez MoH put 3 counters on it. Start of turn, remove a counter and shuffle back.

Museum isnā€™t the problem, itā€™s the decks that can abuse it, thatā€™s the problem.

1 Like

If a card / combination of cards can be abused that easily, it fair to say that the card is at least part of the problem.

5 Likes

I remember around January when people thought MoH was bad because going up to 54 cards was simply anathema.

4 Likes

I should flag this. :wink:

1 Like

Over in mtg land, they used to say that enablers were more problematic than powerful cards, as they let you abuse those cards. MCH is the enabler, but honestly I just wish Museum would go away because itā€™s boring.

3 Likes

MCH is clearly the problem. It enables heritage committee/moh spamming at incredible levels. It enables cheap, reliable mumba temple money so you can run incredibly poor. It enables that unless you can trash all three mumbas in a row you will always see MoH out the next turn. Just incredible.

2 Likes

MCH broke the established limits of all other tutors: itā€™s not only infinite use with no associated extra cost, but it installs at the same time it tutors. Thatā€™s just insanely eifficient relative to similar cards. In the same cycle & faction weā€™re seeing cards like Exec Search Firm & Consulting Visit that are much more reasonable, if still powerful, tutors. MCH is like if SMC didnā€™t cost money to trigger & returned to hand instead of trashing (and then itā€™d turn your Tech Writers into Turtlebacks).

Before MCH, what other infinite use tutors did we have? Djinn. Djinn and Tyson Observatory. Both of which saw no play because they were too slow, didnā€™t install as they tutored, & had additional costs. MCH just breaks all precedents. Itā€™s only justifiable if its potential targetsā€”alliance cardsā€”are a small & underpowered set, but right away in Kala Ghoda we got two powerful alliance cards & by now thereā€™s excellent ones for every faction.

16 Likes

This is an accurate assessment.

I only have one thing to add: MCH wonā€™t get any more powerful than it is right now unless the Alliance mechanic sticks around or comes back. Think about another mechanic that had been introduced and they continued it: Double. Sure, Double wasnā€™t inherently bad, but it was hard to call it very good. Starlight Crusade isā€¦ I wonā€™t say ā€˜equivalentā€™, but ā€˜comparableā€™ to MCH in that they both enable a specific subset, the difference is that MCH increased efficiency massively for little cost, and Crusadeā€¦ Doesnā€™t.

You can also see a parallel in Currents and New Angeles Sol. I doubt this is the strongest Sol will ever be, because Currents will keep being printed.

All of this said, CURRENTLY, MCH/Alliance is out of tune with the rest of the mechanics. If, however, this is where the design team wants the power level of those mechanics, then I think Iā€™m actually ok with it. We just, you know, need to see those support cards for the other mechanics. (Imagine a Double support Resource/Asset that let you click to tutor a Double and then play it, paying its additional cost.)

2 Likes

Levy University, which you forgot because youā€™ve never seen anyone play itā€¦

3 Likes

Oh wow Levy yeah, another good example of one which doesnā€™t install, is just too slow for most decks.

Itā€™s kind of good to see this cycle pushing the power level on cards, the packs have been very impactful as they came out. Most Alliance cards seem reasonableā€¦I even thought Museum felt fine at first (basically until the political assets showed up). But the power level is maybe too much relative to the rest of the card pool. The deckbuilding restrictions are all very easy to work around, I think they were intended to balance the fact that these cards are above curve but itā€™s too easy to meet conditions like Templeā€™s for instance.

Disagree
a) MCH is great for consistently getting triggers (installs or operations) without consuming the tempo of cards in grip, the better cards which synergise with that (NEH, Turtlebacks etc) get, the better MCH gets
b) Since in their infinite wisdom the designers made it so MCH is also potentially an operation or a character/sysop/executive tutor, the more powerful those get the more powerful the MCH can be.

I think that heā€™s saying that they are unlikely to print more alliance cards so there wonā€™t be any new cards for it to tutor.

1 Like

Also Levy University but your point remains.

e: and Artist Colony, which is super powerful but has a steep cost

A completely level headed arguement, the power level of these cards matches runner tutor cards; the Corp has less clicks, so they SHOULD be better, a little more efficient. Iā€™ve finally come to terms with Faustā€™s power level, and I think museum will be fine, as long as Criminal is around, itā€™s hard to asset spam. Problem is, Criminal is a speck of dust right now, blown away by the whirlwind that is Anarch. Letā€™s fix that before bursting museumā€™s bubble. So many decks lose out if they canā€™t keep a card in play, for most decks, having a way to force a runner to run is a GOOD thing.

Runners needed good tutors early on because of ā€œfind the right icebreakerā€. Corps could just play what they drew.

Itā€™s really hard to overstate how much Mumbad City Hall speeds Museum decks and how it helps them to do a lot of nasty stuff before the Runner is prepared.

I mean, have you noticed that Genomics decks are playing Hostile Infrastructure in multiples, despite them being the most expensive assets in the whole game with just 6 economy cards in their whole 54 card deck? Before MCH I had to play 3x Melange, 3x PAD, 3x Hedge Fund, 3x Sundew and it almost wasnā€™t enough because the dammed things are so expensive.

Therereā€™s really a world of difference between playing your assets one by one and leaving HQ prone to attack and rezzing Mumbad City Hall and going ā€œMuseum, Museum, Mumba Templeā€ on turn 2, probably even gaining money in the process.

3 Likes

The fact that MCH is now getting played in yellow purely to get temple shows thereā€™s a definite power level issue with it in my mindā€¦

I like making museum limit 1 per deck, doing something drastic about MCH, and maybe MWL Mumba Temple or possibly make it unique.

But, whatever, Iā€™ll keep playing regardless of what happens :smiley:

1 Like

Iā€™ve played enough Warhammer Conquest to really hate making power cards 1 per deck

3 Likes