MWL checkup, daily MWL thread #651

It’s got 3x R&DI. Not enough?

1 Like

Not for Shaper! My version previously was more about the Maker’s Eye and/or Indexing - with 3x SoT you could be a bit more selective on where to apply pressure and how if you went Event-heavy.

That sort of deck tends to be slower to set up and it’d hard to apply R&D pressure (especially in a blasting out of the gates way) if you need to manually click up the economy and install RDI and have enough for whatever breakers you need, against fast or rushy Corp play. An early R&D event combined with HQ attack was frequently very useful. (Escher was included often for similar reasons).

There’s an argument for Stimhack too though. A couple of them instead of Vamp for example can allow you to use real credits on hardware set up and then get out programs on the fly when you run a central.

I think that the MWL should only be used for cards that warp design. For example, yes Account Siphon is OP, but it doesn’t keep me from playing Dirty Laundry, does it?

Here’s my suggestion:
Banned:
Faust
Yog.0
(I banned these so that they wouldn’t have to errata them. Errata is so messy.)

Limit 1 per deck
Astroscript

1 ghost influence
Eli
Architect
SanSan
NAPD contract
Parasite
Clone Chip

2 ghost influence
Medium

Errata:
Add to Parasite:
Trash if the corp purges virus counters.

Lady
Lower strength to one.

Remove Desperado until good crim consoles come.

1 Like

So… “no good criminal consoles until you get at least one more good console”? Seems… harsh :smile:

May as well just ban Parasite and Medium with those restrictions, too :slight_smile:

I’d agree that the primary target for restriction / bans / errata should be design warping cards, insofar as design-warping cards also warp the play space :wink:

Whoa, 2014 tech! Nice update to Chaos Thievery. I wonder if @PeekaySK still plays?

You misunderstand me. Desperado isn’t on my MWL until a good replacement comes. Because while it is broken, there are no playable crim consoles, so might as well give crim the help.

2 Likes

Ah, ok. That makes more sense. Thought maybe you just hated criminals!

1 Like

This makes less sense than the BB45. The Corp can already reset to 0 by purging, and this wouldn’t stop the “problem” use for Parasite of paid ability speed killing ice.

3 Likes

I agree with jakodrako that the Parasite errata doesn’t go the full 9 yards on why Parasite is a card design obstacle.

And I think errata is an awful way to correct the game in most cases. Just ban stuff. Many games, this one included, eventually, bans part of its card pool just for variety’s sake because plenty of cardpool will be left, so it hurts very little to do that. Mental overhead for errata hurts more, and is unnecessary.

I think errata is fine as long as you have a reasonable method of getting it to players. Doomtown’s method is the most ideal version of this, in my opinion. Magic also has reprints and The Gatherer to lean upon.

Netrunner has nothing in place to handle this issue, so it’s tougher.

2 Likes

What does Doomtown have? I’m curious.

Whenever they issue errata for a card, they print it and put a playset in the next possible pack of cards they can.

1 Like

so they punish the players for the designers mistake (I use mistake very loosely as I know it’s impossible to foresee every interaction) by forcing them to rebuy cards? or is it like normally there’s 20 unique cards and the errata card makes it 21 so it’s just a bonus?

That sounds super reasonable. FFG has substantial print-on-demand services though; I should think it would be easier to distribute errata’d cards via regular POD packs alongside GNKs and the like.

But I’ve been saying that for literally years now :wink:

1 Like

The easy way to fix parasite is to errata Datasucker: “You cannot use Datasucker to lower an ICE’s strength below 1”.

It’s the latter. It’s a bonus card added to the pack. If you’re following the game and buying all the packs, then you always end up with the correct printing of the card. If you’re not doing that, then you presumably don’t care.

I think the better way to achieve this is to simply errata Parasite so that the strength check (and trashing) happens only at the beginning of the turn after the virus token is added.

1 Like

Why are we even talking about Parasite? Card is far from a problem. ICE destruction, like FA, is an important part of keeping the game honest.

9 Likes

Nothing wrong with having a town sheriff just to make sure the townspeople keep honest, kind of a problem when the sheriff’s investigation process has an 100% guilty rate and everyone in town except the sheriff himself, Jeremy Zwirner, and the creepy old lady that sells lotus boquets is behind bars.

1 Like

Trying to imagine this dystopian town run by dastardly, corrupt ol’ Sheriff Parasite :slight_smile:

It’s been a long time since corp decks were worried about parasite. Bigger fish to fry, and yet corps are stronger than they’ve ever been since the bad old late-Lunar days.

Wait, what? Runners are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo far ahead right now.

3 Likes