MWL checkup, daily MWL thread #651

I don’t think that’s true across all levels of play; the regional results I’ve seen with win-loss breakdowns for the whole event have corps as strong as they’ve ever been.

I do think the known good anarch decks in the hands of good players are way ahead.

5 Likes

I agree, where I’ve seen data, I’ve seen Corps winning more than runners. I don’t think it’s anything conclusive, but I think corps are strong right now.

4 Likes

Really? Outside of IG, I’ve seen quite the opposite.

Ice destruction is good for the game. After several years of playing with the card, I think Parasite is pretty bad for the game, though. The cutlery events never saw play until Faust made playing them economical (and they’re still mostly 1-ofs), because why would you bother? Parasite was better. Instant-Parasite melting ice is oppressive and horrifying. While it stings to rez ice knowing that the Runner’s going to come back with Forked or Spooned or Knifed, at least the subs will fire that one time, or they’ll be forced to break it that one time. Knowing that as soon as you rez the ice is toast is not, I would say, part of keeping the game honest. I’d be really interested to see what the alternate universe where Parasite doesn’t exist but the cutlery events do would be like.

1 Like

I wonder if Navi Mumbad city grid would help will help with slowing down instant parasucker.

What are peoples’ thoughts on Minelayer replacing Architect if one wants to save influence? Sure it’s a little weaker overall, but is the influence worth it? If one were to change all Architects to Minelayers, you can almost afford Caprice again.

Minelayer:

• Cheaper. It takes one influence back from Architect.
  • Faster. Only costing 1cr means that your facecheck rez is likely free (w/ ETF).
  • Stronger. Yog.0 cannot break this by itself and is generally an equivalent cost to break compared to Architect.

Architect:

• Immune. Cannot be destroyed.
  • Versatile. More card types can be installed to anywhere from less restricted locations.
  • Righteous. Taxes Faust more.

There’s a loooot of hidden downsides to minelayer you find out about when you actually sleeve it up. Also, it seems like it’s in a different category than Architect, since Architect is functionally an ETR in almost every situation, while Minelayer is, to its credit, drastically cheaper to reze

1 Like

Such as…? I know I’ve never used it with Architect being around, but just stating there are tons of hidden downsides does not increase our decision-making capabilities over reading the cards on paper. It’s precisely those hidden aspects I’m interested in knowing about.

1 Like

They let you install all your ice, than you have nothing in hand but trashables and agendas. This is just one example, there are a lot of problems with Minelayer. It definatly fills a different role than architecht, I wouldn’t recommend playing minelayer at all.

4 Likes

Agreed that instant-speed parasite death on non-zero strength ICE is a problem :). However, it also isn’t something that happens as often as it did in the workshop noise or 3x clone chip days. I’d say that it is basically under control nowadays, since I’m struggling to remember the last time I saw it.

A hypothesis about why: so many of the good corp decks pack CVS (for clot / medium protection); CVS is pretty good at bolstering expensive ICE vs parasite.

2 Likes

Minelayer is awful. It looks like it could save you some money, but in reality its not worth it. Lets look at 2 scenarios, with and without it.

With. You play a minelayer, fire it twice installing an Eli and an Ichi 1.0. You paid $1 to rez mine layer, 3 for Eli, 5 for Ichi, total of $9, and you’ve had to let them into your server twice.

Without, you just play the Eli at the back, and $1 for the Ichi 1.0 in front of it, then rez for the same total of $9, and you’ve potentially kept them out of your server.

The money savings don’t show up until you’ve fired it 3 times, at which point they’ve either seen most of your hand (which is one card smaller because you’re laying out ice mid run), a few cards on R+D, or they’ve trashed anything you had in that remote.

Serious question: do you play against a lot of Dumblefork? Because while it’s not the only way that deck trashes ice, it’s still a pretty potent tool. Noise, too, come to think of it.

Yes; Dumblewhizzards and noises are 50% or more of the competitive meta 'round here. With just zero-to-one clone chip these days, they don’t have a lot of options to recur parasite at instant speed.

2 Likes

Dumblefaust can have up to 3 Clone Chips. Noise has 0-1 Clone Chips.

Street Peddler’s pretty common in Noise hereabouts. And I don’t see a lot of Whiz going to 0 Clone Chips; usually it’s 2, sometimes 1.

1 Like

Noise almost never has the option to instant parasucker any decent ICE, since Street Peddler is an unreliable and he runs 0-1 CC. Whiz can more likely parasucker at instant speed, but probably only about once per game (yes, this number is a guess).

Of we remember back to the pre-MWL decks, Faust-Noise and PPVP Kate were both running lots of CC and Parasite, and either would instant-kill ICE pretty much at will. There is a lot less instant-kill from parasite now than there used to be before the MWL, when every shaper and/or anarch ran 2-3 Parasite and 2-3 CC.

2 Likes

Has there been an MWL update this month? I notice that nrdb now has Museum, MCH and Faust on the list. Have I missed anythinng else?

1 Like

That’s not the official MWL. That’s a player-run tournament series list.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s very dissapointing that they are now considered the default by Netrunner DB instead of the official rules that everyone uses.

3 Likes

Yeah, and what is worse is I think the only card everyone absolutely agrees on is Museum. Even on their announcement thread people were decrying the inclusion of Faust and MCH.

1 Like