My humble thoughts on Quetzal, and why I don't think she will be very good(Please prove me wrong)

Anarch could use a 4 str or lower counter based subroutine breaking counterpart to D4vid.

Throw in a caveat so that it must be played with D4vid to safely facecheck.

something simple like …

J0n4th4n
3c, 2MU, 4inf
Place 3 power counters on J0n4th4n when it is installed.
Hosted Power Counter: Break ice subroutine on a piece of ice that has a strength of 4 or lower. J0n4th4n cannot be used to break subroutines on ice that has had its strength lowered this turn.

I don’t think you’re wrong, I just think that the current AI breakers are insufficient, and Anarch doesn’t have the in-faction tools to really be able to effectively grab a variety of programs just to make good runs.

Darwin is slow to grow (though Virus Breeding Ground sort-of speed it up), and expensive to break with. At least it’s tutorable, but it’s not a problem for the corp to reset you often enough to keep you out, in my experience.

Knight takes extra clicks to place, and is easily trashed (though at a cost to the corp excepting Blue Sun, who eats it for breakfast – though I’d argue they’re Anarch’s worst matchup as a faction).

Crypsis is expensive to play and use, though it’s tutorable. But it also eats clicks like crazy.

Overmind is slightly less expensive than Crypsis, but isn’t a virus, and is even more temporary, most of the time.

D4V1D isn’t a breaker, which means it’s easier to find space for if you’re running Djinn, but nombos hard with tools to reduce ice strength for the fixed breakers. Still excellent, although awkward without recursion.

Needing to have a full suite of breakers and splash for tutors to get them when you need – or to use the massively inefficient AI breakers and hope for the best… it’s not impossible, but it’s tricky.

It takes a lot of money, if nothing else, which is not a strong suit for Anarch right now. It also takes MUs, which Anarch desperately need because most of their best tricks use 'em.

I don’t think ambiguity is a launchpad for victory. If you need your opponent to guess wrong, you’re not actually strong. A plethora of options in one deck is strong, but unless each single-option deck is decent against the field it won’t be enough.

I mean, the big box will make them stronger either way. But again, unless we’re seeing Atman the Second I can’t see how an AI breaker is going to be good enough to get over the many hurdles facing Anarch as a faction. I’m hopeful it will be Atman the Second, but there’s a lack of money and space to make running more programs seem super feasible, especially if we still aren’t able to have any sane in-faction card draw/tutoring other than Djinn.

1 Like

Had some luck with this Quetzal deck…

New Runner Deck

Quetzal: Free Spirit (First Contact)

Event (21)

Hardware (5)

Resource (7)

Icebreaker (6)

Program (6)

12 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Up and Over

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

Next change is probably to switch out 1 e3 for 2 astrolabe

1 Like

I see you need a name for that decklist. May I suggest “Noone plays Blue Sun in my area”? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Played 8 games against blue sun. Did just fine.

None of them splashed Lotus Field, played Scorch or actually rezzed relevant ICE, then?

All of them had Lotus. Most of them had architect. At least 1 had scorched. Thats the one I lost to. Posted Bounty / Scorch. SEA not such a problem due to ca$h.

The fundamental idea is to setup fast. used scrubbed + wyrm to kill small ice. Knight D4vid to kill OAI large ice.
Inject to pull your events forward.

Use SOT for Sure Gamble/Lucky Find / Scrubbed.

As for … “relevant ice”…

Enigma, Caduceus, Icewall die for 1 or less.
Archer OAI dies for 5. Non OAI dies for 7.
Break Bastion Wall of static, rainbow, eli for 1

OAI Curtain wall/ Hadrian… look for d4vid.

2 Likes

Right, I’m not saying any of this for now, but rather later. I think they can expand anarch horizontally enough, the things the corp needs to deal with in the course of a turn should/could outweigh what they’re capable of. This is similar to the way andysucker works, you need to purge, AND lock out the centrals so they can’t just get suckers back and get back in the game. Now we just need anarch to be in the same boat, and we’ll be fine. A good AI can help with that, but ‘good AI’ isn’t a thing yet. I did read somewhere that in the near future an extremely efficient AI breaker was set to be released…lets hope it’s red with 4 pips.

1 Like

Word over on the Netrunner 4chan page is that the Anarch AI breaker is super-efficient, but you can’t access cards in the server you run at the end of the run. Instead, you combo your runs with a suite of event cards like the spoiled “Forked”, in which you destroy ice completely.

5 Likes

I think Quetzal+e3 will be very strong if Blue Sun with Curtain Wall+Oversight AI dominates the meta.

Accessing cards is so overrated.

5 Likes

Why would you want to actually access cards when you could spend your time just screwing around instead?

3 Likes

Sounds durdly. I guess theres always singularity amirite?

At least you’ll have the clicks!

Latest spoiler from 4chan’s snow-jax…

Amped Up
Anarch - 3 inf
Cost 1
Gain click, click, click. Take 1 brain damage.

4 Likes

Christ, with this and stim dealer, I’m looking forward to it.

My girlfriend and I are working on an ekomind/overmind/stimhack deck that is getting very very good, we’ve had to go to 2x all nighter to get it to work how we want…this will help tremendously with that, we were hoping for stimdealer, this is even better! This pack is probably going to ruin whatever pants I’m wearing when I receive it.

3 Likes

Time to get out the Public Sympathy!

Yep. Don’t tell anybody though, soon there will be youtube videos on how to hard counter it :frowning:

Hmm. Unable to access, but gets in cheap? Actually does sound useful – Security Testing (unlikely, but hey), all the ice destruction stuff, Retrieval Run, Siphon, Indexing, build counters for those viruses that want them, and so on. Singularity for the remotes…

Depends obviously on HOW efficient it is, but if it’s good enough even it might be usable. Awkward as all hell, though.

And, oh wow, Amped Up… is that Order and Chaos? Either way, it’s just amazing. Runner Biotic Labor, so very many ways to make strong use of that. Goodness me. Do hope there’s some way to make taking Brain Damage less of a worry, seems likely since Stim Dealer notes specifically that it cannot be prevented. (I know Feedback Filter does it, and Monolith, but that’s all that comes to mind.)

Apparently.

I have no good ideas for preventing brain damage. But you can play Leverage to prevent it!

Hand size …

1 Like