NAPD Most Wanted List - *Update July 2016*

Doesn’t the Most Wanted List hit all these points? Except that it’s possible for someone to turn up to a Store Championship and have to make last minute changes or play with the dummy cards that result from an illegal deck?

I just gave a functional errata to my wireless net Pavilion

21 Likes

If would be kind of nice if FFG reprinted everything on the MWL with some new art or something as well as a new symbol or note indicating the influence change.

1 Like

Because functional errata, restricted lists and those clunky solutions like this one here for Netrunner will hurt sooner or later the community and the playability of the game. I needed to read the restricted system a few times to comprehend it, it will be a chore for a newbie. I guess playing illegal decks in tournaments and changing the number of card copies in your deck between rounds will happen way more since the clarity of decks is more diluted than before.
Banning is a clean cut and a basic rule for any kind of design is always to make it as simple as possible.

Wizard of the Coast may be cash grabbing sharks but they have a clean and solid product game-wise, which comes from years of experience.

It’s rumoured that the MWL will be updated every tournament season - if true then there’s no point in reprinting MWL cards.

5 Likes

While I’m not a SuperFan of the list, my only real problem with it is that the NBN nerfs will make NEH the only playable NBN ID.

2 Likes

Man I couldn’t disagree more. SYNC lost practically nothing, and Sol still has a place at the table. Haarp Kill is worse, but it isn’t unplayable. NBN is still in a good spot.

5 Likes

Really? You essentially get the 2x Astros for free in NEH… why mess with any other ID?

I have an interesting question about the MWL actually. Printed Influence is public information, readily available on the ID for your opponent to see. Including cards on the MWL reduces your Printed Influence.

Do I have to advise my opponent of my reduced influence total? If I do, this allows them to make some rather specific inferences about the contents of my deck, given how few cards are on the MWL.

2 Likes
  1. I fail to see the difference. A new player in a tournament setting would still need to check that a card is banned to avoid a mistake. Same with errata, is it not? And whether it’s errata or ban, you can play with the card as it is in a casual setting anyway.
    1.5) Sure, I guess. Don’t see this as a big problem though. But I guess if there’s enough functional errata it could be weird.
  2. I do agree that gameplay functional errata is somewhat annoying (mainly: how do you remember the changes if someone else plays those cards? for one card it’s probably not a problem, but if there’s a dozen cards it’ll be hard…) I might be missing something you meant here though, please elaborate.
  3. I don’t see why WNP would need to be changed back to non-unique, but I do agree that if they had errata’d Astro to be limit 1 and later decided to remove that restriction that would be worse than a ban/unban.

I think the reason I like the errata more than a straight up ban is that I rather have an option to play that card modified than not at all. However a big cardpool and lots of functional errata is bad…I guess you can say it’s a slippery slope kind of thing, but hopefully the number of cards they need to nerf with functional errata remains at a minimum.

1 Like

System seems okay at its core. Not crazy about the card choices.

It’s pretty not conservative for a first attempt. I’d like to see Faust on it and less total cards hit.

I’d probably pick Astro, napd, Eli corp
Side and clone chip, Faust adjusted chronotype runner side.

Corp side effects aren’t go a be huge. Still gonna be a weaker fastro deck, and the score plans of yellow kill decks got worse. Etf gonna have to change their ice, especially fa etf. Nothing insane from the corp bans.

Biggest meta shifts runner side are probably clone chip and the complete eviseation of ppkate. Noise loses very little (fuck that). Funding the best deck to recur clot is also gonna be a challenge, especially with NEH probably becoming gearcheckier. Other thing that’s gonna have happen is next ice potentially breaks out again. The other scary thing is batty breaks out as less decks have recursion which is meh.

5 Likes

So your argument is that Astro is a must-include (even after MWL) and because NEH has more inf than other IDs it’ll be impossible to play anything else than NEH?

If you go look at the tournament winning decklists, you’ll see that NEH/Spark got hit most. Meaning that the types of decks you’ve seen in NEH aren’t as strong anymore. It doesn’t seem like anyone was playing Haarp with 3xAstro,3xNAPD,3xSSCG,3xEli,XxArchitect. But guess what ID this was being played in? :smiley:
The Haarp/SOL decks can continue with only minor changes (if you want to include all the kills cards, you have to ditch Astros, if you want to keep all the Astros, you have to get rid of at least some kill card(s)). And that’s great! It means that deckbuilding got a little bit interesting as you actually have to commit a bit more to a certain strategy.

What I get from this is that we’ll actually see less NEH and more other IDs, which isn’t bad at all.

5 Likes

Astro means you win games you shouldn’t. It’s an auto-include. Kill decks can possibly work without it, but then they plop down the 2nd Plascrete and GG.

The people who think this is the rise of 24/7 are delusional. I’ll run 3x Plascretes and you’ll do what exactly?

1 Like

Sue me, I’ve seen faust come up very often now, and I don’t think it’s an issue.

It’s an AI. It’s cost imposes limitations on your deckbuilding. It’s cost is significant even when breaking. Now that parasite got hit with a nerfbat, and consequentaly low str high sub ice may slowly come back, which might even make it worse. I think the biggest benefit here on a grand scale is how much more of the ice pool becomes practical again. If someone wants to spend their 1 influence card (and possible bonuses for recurring) to nuke your rototurret, all the power to them. But not all runners are going to make that choice anymore.

For faust this means it might be less practical even in the coming meta, and it already was a fair card.

I think now that there is such a list everybody has opinions about what cards are “broken” “they should never have printed that” etc. Basically the things that beat us the last 5 games. Even with this list, I don’t think cards like astro or parasite or desperado were mistakes. The cards created a fun game. They build around it and all in all, the game was balanced and saw a lot of different popular factions. I think/hope that FFG over the span of past years and with the upcoming cycle(s) felt limited in their design process because of the meta. That in a game where a strong program with limited shot might just be recurred for little cost, they would not be able to create a cool program like that. In that light the PPVP and clone chip as well as yog influence increases make more sense.

I don’t think FFG had the goal of fixing a meta here. A new meta will arise and it will also be balanced and diverse. I think they were creating space to keep creating cool and powerful feeling cards that you can play with seriously.

9 Likes

Arguably with Kate gone fastrobiotics will be pretty good again, even with these changes to the regular list. NBN has some nice replacement ice for eli/archi.

And yes this list feels more like they want to change the competitive meta more than balance problem cards, and it’s a shame because I think the game has been in a good spot over the last year.

It wasn’t fixing the meta so much as a complete reset. Just about every tournament deck as of yesterday will be illegal starting in February. That’s pretty crazy.

1 Like

Is there an easy way to link them to nrdb?

Nah, DLR is totally fine. Just the corps have even less tools to fight it now.

You’re 3 influence over from parasite as well