[NBN] Butcher Your Enemies, Butcher Your Friends

busted as in, a little too good. or busted as you know of a way to play around it?

Busted as in ‘really good’. The tags even stick around. I mean, what the heck!?

agreed. Amusingly a game i had the other day a guy turn tabled 2 loaded astro tokens to give me 2 breaking news. next turn i 24/7 scorch scorch. He now understands why 24/7 breaking news is a great combo lol

Here’s the deck I was playing against Brendan in Thirsty’s last night Sam. It’s pretty disgusting.

SYNC: Everything, Everywhere

Agenda (11)
3x AstroScript Pilot Program
3x Breaking News
2x Global Food Initiative ••
3x Quantum Predictive Model

Asset (6)
3x Jackson Howard
3x News Team

Operation (18)
1x Closed Accounts
3x Hedge Fund
2x Midseason Replacements
2x Restructure
3x Scorched Earth ••••• ••••• ••
3x Sweeps Week
1x The All-Seeing I
1x Traffic Accident •
2x 24/7 News Cycle

Barrier (3)
3x Wraparound

Code Gate (2)
2x Pop-up Window

Sentry (4)
3x Data Raven
1x Gutenberg

15 influence spent (max 15)
18 agenda points (between 18 and 19)
44 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Data and Destiny

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.

Install advance a QPM aka kitty cat behind a data raven baiting a BN play, use that to 24/7 later.
Kept closed accounts in as i realised you can give them two tags and then make them broke so they’ll struggle to remove them next turn so you can scorch or ASI them.
Not sure about the midseasons it might be better as sea source but still testing i guess you could kill critic with 24/7 - ASI or stick in a S+G.

2 Likes

There’s basically no way to run centrals with a Data Raven or a Gutenberg defending - taking tags is both ludicrously taxing (3 credits!) and dangerous to access while tagged due to Quantum Predictive Model/News Team.

Breaking News and a single other agenda (and one of the QPMs should probably be a 15 Minutes just for more agendas score-able from hand), and it’s all over - a 40 card minimum deck size is as good as NEH at drawing the kill combo. I wonder if you can squeeze more Traffic Accident in, though.

1 Like

cool list, looks horrendous to play against lol ! I originally built a deck very similar to your sync build. i actually think the +2 inf and draw is slightly better than the 44 cards and +1 cred for tags. But its tight, and that’s just my opinion. i found it difficult to really threaten to score out without San San city grid and Beal’s. I think the midseason play is kind of dead right now, it may come back but for now i consider that card a no go. SEA source worked really well but i don’t really see much money after the operations. I played 2x millange rather the restructure and popped it behind a data-raven. The great thing about 24/7 is you get tags for scoring agendas, rather then just out moneying the runner.

I like the NEH 24/7 just because im doing what i like doing at the start of the game and trying to rush out any agenda i can find. Then if i happen to stumble upon a kill combo, then great ill give it a shot. but it all comes from the pressure of just outright winning by scoring with 3x beal / 3x asto / 3x BN / 1x 15mins thats alot of agendas i can score out of hand.

1 Like

Yeah there’s no doubt NEH is the better ID having 17 influence and the draw ability is pretty darn busted in itself.
I did have a version of this minus the GFI/ x3 TA with NAPDs or explodas but it felt like it would suit something like haarpsichord better cos it was a shed load of agendas but yet again its not NEH lol.
The thing i’ve like about sync so far is the fact that siphons are less profitable especially with a raven on hq and also the deck feels a little more consistent but yeah it’s not neh lol.
I like the idea of the melanges it actually kinda plays into the sea source concept aswell forcing them to run when they’d probably hide and money up instead and behind a data raven jeez that’s evil sam :slight_smile:

Since we’re talking about SYNC decks, here’s the one I’ve been using for the last while.

Butcher SYNC

SYNC: Everything, Everywhere (Data and Destiny)

Agenda (11)

Asset (3)

Upgrade (2)

Operation (19)

Barrier (2)

Code Gate (1)

Sentry (6)

15 influence spent (max 15)
18 agenda points (between 18 and 19)
44 cards (min 40)

I still like having a couple Midseason’s to scare off people running too much early. Varying sentry strength levels means that getting breakers for them is a pain, and people are probably going to have to just take the tag and shake it for 3 bucks next click. Multiple tagging ice on the same server is a huge PITA. 3 ETR feels just about right since I almost never have to IA a Breaking News in hopes they can’t get it.

I still like the SanSans since they can enable me to get out a second agenda to sacrifice to 24/7. They also can set up a kill with a scored astro and a BN in hand with the kill cards, giving a third way to die.

I’m positive this isn’t the optimal version of this deck, and I’d really like to fit in The All-Seeing I into it for extra help in the DLR matchup (although being able to flip and trash things for 2 less for a couple turns has been surprisingly relevant sometimes). It’s so hard to fit everything I want into 40-44 cards, but I feel like if I go up to 49 I’m throwing away a potential advantage in deck sleekness, so I’m trying to stay at 44 for now.

Ha i know the feeling there’s just so many nice new toys and i want them all in there! :smile:
Liking the build, being able to threaten the FA with the San Sans seems strong . In Testing against Noise I wonder if a CVS is needed in place of something?
Whats your thoughts on turnpike? I’ve not tested it yet. Does it feel like the 1 credit tax is worth the slightly reduced trace of the gutenberg if not on rnd?

CVS might be needed, but I need more Noise testing to be sure. I had it in my old NEH build. It seems like in the cut to 44 cards, the matchup-specific tech is always the first to go =(

Turnpike’s been okay; at the worst it’s a 2-for-2 tax for Mimic, plus they had to pay to bring mimic out as well. The reduction in trace cost vs Gutenberg is basically negligible; no one wants to pay 5 credits to not take a tag. Runners with link might want to pay 4, simply because they don’t want to have to pay 3 credits and a click later, but they usually take the tag as well. I’d say off R&D it has significant advantages over Gutenberg, just because both usually get Mimic out, but Gutenberg only taxes 1 credit to Turnpike’s 2.

Honestly, the ICE change I’m considering most is dropping to 1 Wraparound and going to 2 Enigma. If I’m trying to rush a 1st or 2nd turn Astro, the click loss facecheck punish is usually very relevant. However, this makes Faust better, so I’m not sure.

sync plays the same as NEH after it’s drawn 5 cards from it’s ID ability. Plus you get 2 influence. No brainer imo.

They don’t play exactly the same. The increased cost for tag removal makes tagging cards more powerful, and it lowers the incentive to play cards like Account Siphon because unless you want to keep tags (which is good for NBN), you don’t get as much value from it.

Yeah I get that. I just don’t think it’s as strong. I could be completely wrong. I’ve been wrong many many times before. I don’t think the anti siphon concept pays off right now as criminals aren’t that popular, but are coming back a bit. The tag cost removal is ok. I don’t think sync is bad, I just don’t think it’s that strong either. I think harp or neh are the way to go. Again, I could be wrong, don’t bite my head off :smile:

Actually, @mediohxcore’s Haarp deck is pretty damn strong. Scoring a second agenda to sac to 24/7 is easy when you can just throw 2 on the table, knowing they can only take one. Sure FC turns that off, but that just means you are in the same spot every other deck is in. It might be the strongest type of butcher deck atm, but I’ve wanted to give the SYNC one a try since the card was announced, so I’m giving that a go for now.

5 Likes

The other main difference that Haarp has vs Sync is the situation where the runner is tagged. You are invariably racing Medium etc and need to draw enough kill to get through Plascrete / IHW before they score out. Sync has the smaller deck size but the runner being capped at 2 points a turn is a big deal. I thought Sync was better on paper but having actually tried it I suspect I was wrong.

Hi guys does anyone know if there has been an official ruling regarding 24/7 news cycle and whether the 2 tags from breaking news stay after the turn? I can’t find anything but it just feels a little busted 24/7 into closed accounts in Sync then triple scorching someone the following turn when they can’t clear all the tags.

I don’t think there needs to be a ruling.

24/7 says:

“Resolve the “when scored” ability on an agenda in your score area.”

Breaking News says:
“When you score Breaking News, give the Runner 2 tags.
When the turn on which you scored Breaking News ends, the Runner loses 2 tags.”

So it’s pretty clear that only the first line of Breaking News is part of the ‘when scored’ function, giving the runner two tags.

Even if it wasn’t, the turn on which you scored Breaking News was, presumably, not the same turn you played 24/7, so the runner would still keep the tags.

Triple Scorch is a pretty nice hand.

2 Likes

So what are the best counters to these sorts of decks? Specifically Haarp kill; is it just Film Critic in any ol’ deck? Plascrete/IHW? Is there any specific id/faction that works better against them?

Film Critic/New Angeles City Hall is a safe combo that gets around a lot of problems. They’re going to have to get you tagged and trash NACH to actually kill you.

If that doesn’t appeal to you you’re probably just going to want some Plascretes. IHW is good, but I don’t personally trust it. YMMV.

The answer is clearly to go all in with Edward Kim playing Plascrete, IHW, Imp, and Film Critic.

But in all seriousness, Shaper with Critic and a Plascrete or two is often good enough. If you plan on seeing this deck a lot, 2 Plascrete, 1 Critic, and a lot of draw is pretty good.

1 Like