Yeah @Alsciende didn't have to take the whole site down. I'm a bit confused, really. I see three likely reasons:
- Alsciende is legitimately scared of being sued
- There's a lot more going on that neither FFG or Alsciende is telling the public
- Alsciende is acting brashly by yanking the site down when a compromise with a little work could be achieved
If it were my site with the C&D order, I would've:
- Removed the API
- Stopped using high-rez images
- Linking back to FFG or cardgamedb.com whenever appropriate or helpful
Instead, we get a quick and dirty C&D from FFG and a non-responsive NetrunnerDB that just shuts it down prematurely.
I hope someone will clone the site soon with the changes above.