NetrunnerDB is dead :(

seriously, is there a functioning site with card search? I like Meteor’s deck builder but I always used NDB’s card search, Meteor doesn’t have one. Acoo is a beautiful site but its functionality is awful IMO. maybe Ono Sendai is my best bet

This is a bit harsh on @Alsciende especially saying it was shut down prematurely - there’s lots we don’t know.

1 Like

I’m not trying to be harsh for harsh’s sake, but just thinking about what could be going on. #2 above clearly says that there could be a whole other world of communication that we are not privy to. Regardless, neither side is communicating much.

using Meteor right now and I swear the images are being swapped to lo-res scans as I browse.

This is how you make sure you don’t get shut down (notice the link to cardgamedb.com)

Very sad. I’ve just started playing netrunner and quickly found netrunnderdb to be the best place to browse cards and decks. The discussion on decks was really good to read… I’ve used cardgamedb a little bit for lotr cards, but it doesn’t come close…

2 Likes

Meteor does have card search. Upper right hand corner, bro.

1 Like

I also find it strange that talks between FFG and @Alsciende would yield this end result, but maybe talks are still ongoing? I mean from a purely speculative standpoint, maybe FFG are looking to pay to use some of the features NRDB had, and site closure is just a part of the deal. Again, pure speculation on my part but I feel that’s a definite possibility.

Alsciende took his whole site down earlier over the Plugged-In nontroversy. I don’t think it’s particularly surprising that any talks between him and FFG would not go well. It’s a shame, since I preferred NetrunnerDB to CardgameDB, but so it goes.

2 Likes

I love the Ono Sendai interface, very slick. Card search is pretty good on there but no deck builder functionality yet. It’s been “coming soon” for a while…

To be fair, FFG did not have to issue him a CaD. I know that I would be pretty damn salty in his position.

At the end of the day, a strictly stupid move by FFG.

11 Likes

Sorry, should have said Card Browser/Filter.

Canceled my Worlds trip, let them know this was why. For me it’s a matter of wanting to know why NetrunnerDB was killed when others weren’t and whether or not we can expect community guidelines for fansites in the future. If they’re not willing to tell us what is and is not OK, I’m done supporting Netrunner.

7 Likes

Wait, is jinteki.net French as well? I’m wondering if the C&D might be for those sites only because of some French legistlation or a European wing of FFG operating in that area.

I totally share your frustrations about not knowing the reasons. There is clearly more to this than we are hearing but we may never know the the truth.

Alsciende wrote a post on BGG confirming that “Netrunnerdb must shut down, because FFG wants people to use CGDB”. I’d answer there but I got banned again for comparing people who blame jinteki.net to those who blame women for being raped. So I’ll write here.

What exactly is ‘intellectual property’ in this case? Is it the images? FFG did not respond to Alsciene’s offer to watermark them, but what if he did it anyway and kept the site running? Would FFG still have valid reason to threaten him with legal action? Alsciende decided not to find out.

I have not been active in the Netrunner community for the last four months, I don’t have the same level of enthusiasm now as I had before. And I have zero experience with servers and hosting. Otherwise I would live up to my claim to clone netrunnerdb in the .ru domain zone. As it turns out, I’m just all words :frowning:

So if any of you guys is still enthusiastic enough about the game and the community, and if you have knowledge and experience in web technology, and if you are not afraid of Elizabeth Mills, then you might want to think about taking the site over from Alsciende and placing it on some abuse-proof hosting. It’s all on github, with his blessing.

No, it’s from Belgium :). The French distributor “Edge” is not a wing of FFG, so I don’t think there any relation.

@JohnnyCreations it’s true that I’m scared of being sued. Also, I don’t really want to fight FFG. I don’t want NRDB to become an obsession or a nuisance in my life. I’d rather let it go than stressing about it constantly.

Also, maybe I’m acting brashly by closing the site, but that’s what FFG requested, so how can you blame me?

Also, there’s not a lot going on between FFG and me. I’m still reviewing my options to find a solution. These kind of things take days, or weeks. I closed the site, that doesn’t mean I can’t open it back.

So please, don’t say I shut down NetrunnerDB “prematurely”. I received a C&D. I was supposed to shut down the site immediately, and then ask questions. I chose to keep the site open so that people could save their decks. If anything, not having closed the site last Thursday may have hurt my chance to reach an agreement (though I don’t think that’s the case).

I, too, hope the site will be cloned. I still own the domain name, which is not directly concerned and doesn’t clearly infringe on a trademark. I still have the site data, including the public decklists. I can do whatever pleases me with that, including giving them to a reboot. Also, a solution might have been found to reboot NRDB without it including any copyrighted material whatsoever.

Time will tell.

@mplain , I hear what you’re saying. I understand.

16 Likes

Why do you think Jinteki.net and your site got the C&D and the other deckbuilders didn’t?

@alsciende I just wanted to say thank you for your contributions to the Netrunner community. They will be missed.

14 Likes

actually we may all give one star in review on ffg’s fb page.