NetrunnerDB is dead :(

I will financially contribute to any project that rehosts NRDB in a “safe” place that is publicly accessible

5 Likes

@Alsciende just posted on reddit about an hour ago:

Hi everyone. Been busy after the shutdown, I had no time to reply or post anything yet. Please understand that I’m not at liberty to disclose the content of private communications between FFG and me. But I’ll try to explain the situation in broad strokes.

So, yeah, netrunnerdb.com is down because FFG ordered it by way of a C&D letter.

I replied to the letter. I offered to change what was upsetting them in Netrunnerdb. I offered to watermark or remove the images, or lower their quality. I offered to add links to their sites or a more prominent copyright notice / trademark reminder. But mainly, I asked for a discussion.

Those points were not answered, but I was invited to a phone meeting, which did not lead to a positive outcome for Netrunnerdb.

Again, I won’t disclose private communications, but I can report my understanding of the whole situation: Netrunnerdb must shut down, because FFG wants people to use CGDB. The copyright infringement is the tool to forcibly close Netrunnerdb.

FFG never had any demand except shutting down netrunnerdb.com. I never had any demand except adapting Netrunnerdb to meet their requirements.

The API was never mentioned by FFG (as a reminder, the API exposed publicly available data in a convenient manner). The images were never mentioned by FFG. jinteki.net was never mentioned by FFG.

The only terms used were “intellectual property”, which does not help in knowing what is it they want to protect exactly and what they are protecting it against.

Basically, I’m very sad to say that I never had any possibility to discuss any solution for my fan site. As strange as it seems, FFG wants Netrunnerdb offline, end of story.

6 Likes

Going after fan sites never ends well.

3 Likes

That’s fine if you are afraid of being sued and don’t want to spent the time dealing with this, but then you shouldn’t make it all about FFG. C&D letters happen all the time with this sort of thing. There’s nothing “from God” about a C&D letter. Litigation (them suing you) is a waaaaay bigger deal than a silly letter.

Anyway, that’s fine if you are just tired and don’t want to deal with it, but just making FFG the bad guy may make you feel better, but doesn’t actually help the community at all.

Edit: apparently the above post was flagged as “abusive” - not sure what was not cool about it, but I’ll stay out of things now. :smile:

Suggesting that some random guy just suck it up and proceed to litigation is really silly.

13 Likes

Agree, considering the work Alsciende has done, I don’t feel you comments are justified.

3 Likes

For those of us who aren’t programming gods, is there any way to make a version of NetrunerDB that will work from desktop?

Not sure how many will check this thread for an update, but for those who didn’t see it on reddit:

There’s now a public instance of NRDB running here : http://95.215.44.196/

It’s actually speedy - far better than meteor - so I plan on using it for now to build with then save offline as needed in case it disappears.

6 Likes

Yeah but how long until another C&D? I’m not sure the community will jump to it and start contributing again. :frowning:

That’s my point: I’m not expecting a “community” to reform there and Test Run/Scavenge NRDB, although that’d be great. Utilize it as a deckbuilder that doesn’t suck and see what happens.

I’m totally using this for now. I hope First Contact will be added soon. Long live NetrunnerDB!

1 Like

Speaking as someone running a private copy of it, the admin tools (for adding cards, packs, and cycles) are not the easiest to use; I had to tweak mine to get the workflow going a little faster before I could get First Contact in. (I also had to backport it to an older version of PHP and fix what I’m guessing was a version incompatibility in the database software, but that’s another story.)

Alsciende put a lot of work into it, and I’m thankful for that; I’ll kind of miss the community aspect, but mostly I’m glad to have a solid deckbuilder that I am slowly learning how to tweak.

You can’t C&D the internet. Long live NetrunnerDB, long live freedom of information!

1 Like

Please push the updates you did on github to allow others to merge them in theirs.

2 Likes

Trying to C&D the internet, is like trying to remove piss from a pool.

6 Likes

I guess I’ll just keep using Meteor. I really only used NetrunnerDB for the community aspect. Meteor is a great deckbuilder IMHO

I’ll have some of whatever you’re smoking over there in JC land

6 Likes

A Reddit post has some hope on this matter:

As for online deckbuilders, it seems like FFG is indeed currently working on a Acceptable Use Policy to clarify which types of services are acceptable and not acceptable.

Right now, the answer to all these is no, but we’ll be putting up an Acceptable Use Policy in the near future.

1 Like

It’s all weed, all the time out here in Washington State. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Meteor been running slow for anyone else?