NetrunnerQuest - Study Group - Forking Hard or Hardly Forking?

I’ve been rocking out a Palana Foods deck with lots of traps, Brain Foods , and it’s been doing well on j.net. The main plan is to install things, advance them to 4 and leave them. They could be junebugs, overwriters, ronin or agendas. If they leave too many out there I will find way to win eventually. If they run them they very likely will die :slight_smile:

My thinking in running a deck like this is that I want to dictate the game we play and steer it away from what Dumblefork is good at. It’s also strong against remote camping shaper decks because there are no big remotes they can camp. The biggest weakness that I’ve seen so far is getting vamped / siphoned down and then having your remotes run.

I listened to the podcast last night and I really liked it. I wanted to throw out my 2 cents on how I think about forking. Because we all like forking, it’s so forking fun :slight_smile:

Traditionally in chess a fork is a tactical play whereby you make a move that makes multiple immediate threats that the opponent can’t totally defend and must give up on something. A silly example in netrunner might be a neh deck throwing down 2 naked san sans when the opponent can’t possible trash both of them leading to an astro score the next turn.

This is different from strategic play attacking the opponent on different fronts forcing them to spread their resources defending. Being multi-dimensional is a key part of netrunner. I would spend more time on this.

1 Like

that type of shell game can be good if you have a good poker face

or if you have good yomi and can read your opponent’s play style quickly

2 Likes

I find smiling broadly to be better; it gets in their head better in my book. I also try to throw out jokes and get my opponent to laugh, but maybe I’m just a bit odd…

2 Likes

Thats solid I do that all the time, the more comfortable you can get your opponent the easier it becomes to land traps.

2 Likes

also the best way to create a fork with traps is to slow advance an agenda and make them choose between checking remotes and dying, giving you potential free points or running RD and hitting snares.

I think you were watching me play my PE deck at my last SC. It was brutal, I’m starting to feel bad about bringing that deck with me.

Fun fork I had was feeling a bit strapped for ice (had two in hand, but you know, grail), and while progressing a Nisei, threw an upgrade behind the rezzed Lancelot, and had an unrezzed on both Archives and HQ. Threw a bit of a wrench into CM’s plan with RDI, but turns out it was only a CVS, not the dreaded Batty.

1 Like

I love it when the threat of something is as strong as the actual thing :slight_smile:

@CodeMarvelous that’s another topic that might be worth talking about. How to use threats, bluffs, non-standard plays and the like as a way to save yourself when you don’t have what you need. Anyone can play when they have the right cards. Not many players throw a GFI behind a single Ichi and leave it there for the whole game*. As the corp you have access to hidden information that you should leverage. As the runner you have less hidden information. Mostly what’s in your hand. But even that can be threating. You can threaten your factions usual The Maker’s Eye / Legwork / Account Siphon etc and force the corp to spend time and resources defending centrals even if you don’t have the card. Put yourself in the other side’s shoes, what are they afraid of?

Agreed, you need a good poker face and some balls!

That’s a good way to look at it. You’re making all of their choices a potentially bad one.

*if you don’t know what I’m talking about go watch the semi-final match between David and Timmy from 2015 worlds. An absolutely stellar game.

I actually had a game in a SC this weekend where a Crisium Grid successfully bluffed as an Ash in a remote containing the winning agenda. The first turn the runner chose to jack out before getting all the way through my ice, thinking that he wouldn’t have enough left to trash an Ash let alone get past his trace to an agenda. The second turn he was so demoralized by the imagined presence of an Ash and his lack of funds to get there that he chose to attack elsewhere. If it had been an Ash and he had gone all the way down only to see that, he for sure would have not won; but as it was he didn’t win anyway.

4 Likes

Thats awesome

You don’t have to have an Ash in the server. You just have to believe it’s an Ash.

1 Like

Life is finally getting back to normal for a couple days.

Spent some time on jnet tonight. Trying a new noise deck out. Turns out old noise is likely better. I was able to do less homework because I was very one dimensional.

RP Scorch continues to be my one true love. For now at least. I like it because I can make everything a pain in the butt and sneak out some never advance agendas. Won via murder on a RDI dig. trashed musuem with hostile takeover rezzed into into Snare into Fetal AI. 5 cards in hand, 6 damage. GG!