New Player Help MegaThread

It appears to be bugged right now.

1 Like

Hello guys! Iā€™ve a question about timing of abilities. In Magic you can play instant or abilities just in response, even isnā€™t your turn. Who is playing has the priority. If I would use the Advanced Assembly Lines ability (trash it to install something else), when I could do it in opponentā€™s turn? (the card specify that you canā€™t use it during runs)

Thereā€™s a timing chart in the rulebook, showing where the windows for using paid abilities are. Both players can use paid abilities, but the player who controls the turn gets to use their paid abilities first before asking the other player if theyā€™d like to use theirs.

Thereā€™s a paid ability window just before any player spends a click, always.

Because there is no response, you canā€™t wait until a player initiates a run and say that youā€™d like to install a Neural Katana over the server they picked just before it happens. If the opponent failed to ask you whether you would like to use a paid ability during the paid ability window just before the click was spent to make that run, though, you may ask them to back the game up to that point, though.

Question
Can Councilman derezz a SanSan City Grid that was just rezzed to stop a FA play? Iā€™ve received both yes and no on this question.

Same question concerning CVS and intant purging.

If the corp rezzed it on their turn, yes it stops the scoring off Sansan; councilman is not a paid ability, itā€™s a reaction ability so they canā€™t rez and score before you can use councilman. They can play around it by rezzing it at the end of your turn and re-rezzing again on their turn (provided you used councilman)

As with clot, if the agenda is ready to score (i.e, has all of it tokens), then the corp can score after the use CVS. If they donā€™t score in that paid abilities window (i.e., they cleared with CVS but did not score in that paid abilities window), then you have the opportunity to re-clot before they take their next click. Thatā€™s why you advance an agenda until youā€™re ready to score rather than trying to CVS early; you keep priority on paid abilities until you pass the window to the other player.

Side note: You can use sacrificial construct to prevent clot from being trashed (you trash sac con to prevent clot from being trashed by the purge), requiring 1 extra CVS per sac con.

Hello Everyone,
I am new to the competitive scene, and upon ā€œdiscoveringā€ the
Ekomind + Bagbiter combo, and built a deck, I have come across a lot of questions regarding the deck I built, and how to play it.

1. Is it true that Ekomind replaces memory? If so, does that mean if Akamatsu Mem Chip is in play the same time as Ekomind, then the Akamatsu doesnā€™t work?
  2. Does Bagbiterā€™s text replace your current hand size max, or add to it? I ask because I included a few
    Borrowed Satelliteā€™s just in case I run out of credits. Would that work?

Thanks!
OneFabric

what are you planning to use the memory for? if you have a large hand size the obvious combo is to play magnum opus (to get lots of money for bagbiter) and faust, play hyperdriver and go for a mega turn where you run all three central, picking up 4 points and play 3x notoriety to win the game.

also you need to include hostage to be able to tutor up bagbiter early on to increase consistency.

Overmind and Sage.
The plan is to focus on being able to break anything, and applying pressure where needed. Usually R&D or single ice servers.

Hostage is a good idea, thanks. I donā€™t know if my combo works, though. Does anybody know the answer to my 2 questions?

Thanks @rojazu :smiley:

Hey all,
I think I answered my own question! I found 2 resources on reddit:

1. Looks like Ekomind doesnā€™t reset memory completely; it acts a base.
  2. Similar thing with Bagbiter, I suppose.

Could I get any confirmations on this?

Yours sincerely,
OneFabric

Yes they act as a base.

But keep in mind that nobody plays Bagbiter or Ekomind and youā€™re probably making life very difficult for yourself trying to get that to work. Even with a ton of MU, Overmind is still 0 strength, so youā€™ll also have to set up multithreaders or strength boosts for it.

1 Like

So Iā€™m not sure where this question goes, butā€¦ what does ā€œmtgā€ mean? Iā€™ve seen it used quite a few times, usually as a slang for a very competitive player, but I donā€™t know if itā€™s an acronym or a pun or somehow referencing Magic.

Yeah, itā€™s in reference to Magic, or itā€™s full name Magic: The Gathering

There is a chance Iā€™ll be moving to Grand Rapids, MI in January. Any groups around? I would be bringing my draft cube so we can all do that as well. If the scene is dead then I will resurrect it.

Complete newbie here. Any other beginners interested in getting together and doing a ā€˜historical replayā€™ on Jinteki.net, starting with Core only, then introducing a new set every week/month? Figure itā€™d be a good way to learn the card pool and experience the gameā€™s progression in the same way long time players did.

1 Like

Hey there, Fiji. Almost brand new here as well. Iā€™d love to play a lot of games with the Core set to get it under my belt. I go by the same name on Jinteki.net, will probably be on later today and much of this weekend.

Cool, sounds good. I should be around this weekend (Iā€™m GMT+1).

GMT -4 here, but I should be on long enough this weekend that weā€™ll cross paths. If you can send a chat message in the general channel, I think it keeps a backlog of the chat history, so Iā€™ll know to look for you if I see your name in chat. Iā€™ll do the same for you.

Donā€™t know if you have decks yet, but Iā€™ll probably be playing one of the starter lists posted here, in case you want to familiarize yourself with these cards beforehand.

I guess this is less of a new player question and more of a general one. For the last few months Iā€™ve been getting completely crapped on by everything I go up against. Iā€™ve seen the same decks over and over again, then once I try to tech against them everybody moves on or I never wind up drawing the tech when I need it. Almost feels like Iā€™m playing a slot machine of who I go against and if I can draw the tech for it.

Is there any general deck building strategy that doesnā€™t completely play around the meta and can build a functional deck without it being all silver bullets to pull at the right time, hopefully?

I think tech dependency tends to go Shaper>Anarch>Crim in terms of who is the most reliant on it. Maybe that will help.

One thing Iā€™ve found is to be more flexible in your play instead of piling on silver bullets. You should really only include 1-2 cards that you wouldnā€™t include normally as tech. Instead of piling on more hate cards, find ways to make your existing strengths better.

If they build a huge Ash/Caprice scoring remote, try for an R&D lock. If they spam more assets then you can afford to trash, only trash the Sensies and attack everywhere else.