Next Deluxe Expansion? *Speculation Thread *

Overt and Covert

(Weyland and Criminal)

Fear the Masses, the 6th data pack of the current cycle was announced on December 15th. Since then we’ve had a bunch of Android news including the worlds decks and a new board game called Mainframe. We should be hearing soon the plans for Netrunner.

I’ve never heard of Mainframe and google didn’t help much. What is this?

It’s a board game. It was on their front page when I checked earlier but it’s gone now. It can still be found under products android.

The theme seems similar to something I’ve already seen but I can’t remember what. It looks intriguing though, but not the most in-depth game. Just a fun thing for those who enjoy the cyberpunk theme.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/2/9/android-mainframe/

The most important thing about Mainframe it seems is that you learn Chaos Theory’s name. 10/10.

8 Likes

This sounds like a more fleshed out version of Android: Infiltration. Which is a fucking fantastic game. High hopes for this one.

yeah i noticed that too and did a double-take like ‘did we know her name this whole time, and i just never noticed?’

How do you get to the final room in Android: Infiltration while still downloading and escaping before security arrives?! I can’t figure it out. And it must be possible.

There’s all kinds of absolutely ridiculous items that let you springboard off of other players locations. It’s more fun playing with 2 characters each IMO. Also, the first time I read the hammer weapon card I thought it could be used to attack the npcs and I played it on the innocent woman roaming the halls and I looked at @dashakan and was just “holy fuck, this game is a lot darker than I thought.” That’s been house ruled since.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve only ever played with 2 players each playing 2 operatives. But we’ve barely made it to the second floor before having to leave.

It looks a little like Tash Kalar, which is absolutely a good thing. I doubt it’ll be anywhere near as good (then again, I’m a huge Vlaada fanboy), but more entries in the Android universe can only be a good thing.

3 Likes

I think we will get a new core set before we get a new deluxe expansion. Not sure what it would look like, probably a bunch of re-prints of current cards hammered into pre-built decks sourced from the community and tuned by the design staff.

Personally I’d like to see them take some cards that dont quite work like Unregistered S&W '35 and Tyrant and re tune them to be you know…not a waste of a deck slot.

If they were planing on just making a new deluxe expansion my money would be on 3 factions in it, two corp, one runner with some neutral cards thrown in. NBN really like wayland cards, it would be good to see a expansion that focused on making NBN and Jinteki play nicer with each other, give us a reason to spend influence on weird stuff from other crops.

Putting my vote down for a new deluxe box with a timeskip theme. We get to see what’s happened since the Core set, and the runners IDs shift faction so we get Anarach Kate, Criminal Nosie and Shaper Gabe. They can redo some of the core set cards in preparation for Core 2.0 since the deluxe sets won’t rotate.

2 Likes

Anarch Kate pretty grossly overpowered. Crim Noise probably close to where Noise should have been to begin with. Shaper Gabe probably pretty balanced and interesting?

What about Weyland PE, HB Making news, NBN BABW, and Jinteki ETF? That seems almost reasonable. HB making news is bad but hey they get to use Draco now. And pump that Ichi trace. Like worlds 2013 all over again.

1 Like

Up thread Cerberus states that they have plans to do more Deluxe Expansions (from Lukas a worlds). I would assume that it would have been in active development at the time of Worlds.

I assume they would revamp the ID’s special ability as I can’t see Kate’s or ETF’s ability being anything but horribly broken in whatever faction they move to. Criminal Noise could get money when he installs viruses, Gabe could search for programs when he ran HQ or something and Kate could gain money/cards whenever a corp card is trashed.

Not sure how the corp IDs would change though I want to see references to the true head of NBN, Howard Jackson.

I’ll be shocked if a new Netrunner core is released before at least one more deluxe expansion.

Why does everyone expect a Core 2.0?

4 Likes

I’m not sure people expect it that much, but I think some people would like it. A lot of the Core cards are unbalanced, and could use some help, since they’re going to stick around forever due to the rotation format. I’ve heard Core 2.0 talked about less due to the MWL, though, as this appears to be the balancing track they’re currently using.

4 Likes