Novice impressions of Corp versus Runner

The deck you described is generally way, way too slow to compete with the fast decks we see on the competitive scene. But decks that use AI breakers or quickly accelerate to having a full rig and a strong economy do exist and are very strong.

They certainly do impact on how Netrunner plays, but no more so than having all the types of breakers out. What you’re noticing is the game transitioning from early game (runner can get anywhere as the corp can’t rez ice yet), to mid-game (runner can get in a few places, but not all) to late game (runner can get everywhere - for a price). Once that happens, the corp needs to break the remote lock to score out - usually with Caprice or Ash, or fast advance tools. Weyland loses.

2 Likes

I think there is another important point to make here. If your opponent starts playing solitaire. Doing nothing but installing viruses as Noise, building an enormous hand and installing Faust, installing Underworld Contacts and Data Folding, etc. You need to make the game as interactive as possible by threatening to score quickly (or installing corporate town or IT dept or something the runner needs to do something about right now). Some decks are better built for this than others. Building for late game inevitability is a typical runner strategy. Some strategies are more inevitable than others.

2 Likes

Step one. Play Marcus Batty.
Step two. Don’t lose the psi game.
Step three. Have caprice help out as well.

it should be noted that it’s also necessary to avoid RND lock (Fast Track counts).

1 Like

Guys, I’d like to clarify my understanding of Clot and the priority windows if I may. I just listened to a podcast about it and one comment left me uncertain.

Example 1

The corp installs a card to the table on top of a Sansan. He has priority and passes to the runner, who passes. The corp can then play Shipment from Sansan and score the (3/2) agenda before the runner gets priority again. As a result, it the runner fears Shipment then they have to get Clot as soon as the corp passes after the install.

Example 2

The corp installs a card to the table on top of a Sansan. He has priority and passes to the runner, who passes. The corp advances once. The runner passes. Then the corp advances again and scores the agenda.

If the runner had installed Clot following the corp’s first advance, then suppose the corp does one of two things:

a) The Corp advances again, then rezzes and uses his CVS. He can then score the agenda under the same action window before the runner can react.

b) The Corp uses CVS before advancing (not ideal except for the purposes of my below question!). Now, the runner may Clone Chip out another Clot before the next corp click can be spent on advancing. Likewise, the corp could then use another CVS if he had one, and pass back to the runner to see if he has another Clot, etc.

So in (b), am I correct in assuming that actions can go back and forth between the players multiple times following each successive pass during a single action window?

1 Like

So in (b), am I correct in assuming that actions can go back and forth between the players multiple times following each successive pass during a single action window?

That’s correct.

Thanks pal!

One other thing to mention: if both players pass (meaning they decline to act), the window immediately ends. So you can’t wait for the other player to pass, then do something yourself.

Re-reading your wording, I don’t think that’s what you meant, but I wanted to make sure :smile:

1 Like

How to win at ANR, just win psi games!

1 Like

Thanks again. I was listening to Bad Publicity season 4 episode 15. Around 1:10:00 Hollis said that once each player has used their paid ability windows, there are no more. This is what had confused me, it seems he is not right? In fact the window passes again to the opponent until both pass.

I’ve listened to that episode of BP, and the section on paid ability windows is really confusing. I think it’s because Hollis starts and stops saying something about 3 or 4 times. As long as either player keeps doing something in their window, the other player has an opportunity to respond.

Here’s the relevant section on ANCUR: Core Rule Book | Android Netrunner Comprehensive Unofficial Rules Wiki | Fandom

EDIT: Re-reading what I just linked, I was wrong! Both players get a window, then it passes back and forth until one player passes.

2 Likes

(The reason the window closes as soon as both players have had a chance to act, and one player passes… If Corp does Thing, and Runner does Thing, Corp does Thing, Runner Passes; Corp can’t do anything else, they’ve already done a Thing anyway.)

1 Like

One more from me, on Kate- I know that we have the PPVP build which most people think is the best option for her. What are her other common builds? I saw one called Congress, for example. Does anyone have a link to an article on Kate archetypes?