Official Breaker Bay datapack preview / Hayley Kaplan

With her ability to install mid-run, Net Celebrity remains a strong option for the free credit. ‘Hey look at me, I can be Kate too while on a Run!’. Also to deal with Accounting and Targetted Marketting messing up her installs.

Too bad if Fisk shows up this cycle, he looks like he’s going to be DOA.

Edit: I just realized, in the Official Spoiler post. The ‘Gore School of Network Architecture’. Hahahaha. The Internet in the future is a very shiny cybernetic series of tubes! :smiley:

2 Likes

Fisk was always going to be DOA. His ability was only ever good against the HB decks that lose to everything else by now anyway. Giving free cards to RP and NEH is terrifyingly bad.

3 Likes

lol especially with daily business show

1 Like

Have to credit this one to 4chan, but…

Off-Campus Apartment is awesome for Hayley Kaplan.
Install connection on Off-campus Apartment, draw a card, install another connection on Off-campus Apartment, draw another card. Only 1 click spend.

Add Comet to the combo:
Play Hostage and install connection on OCA.
OCA triggers, draw a card.
Kaplan triggers, install another connection on OCA.
OCA triggers, draw a card.
Comet triggers, play a second Hostage, and install a second connection on OCA.
OCA triggers, draw another card.
3 clicks, 2 events, 3 draws, 3 connections installed.

3 Likes

She can do similar crazy things with Replicator, Modded, and Comet.

1 Like

“Lying In Wait to Hijack. I’m gonna assign Col. Baker, WOO-ha. Using his reaction to assign Mike, WOO-ha. Using his reaction to assign the Chaplain. WOO-muthafuckin-ha.”

2 Likes

sure, but I’d still like to see him released. @bblum and I played an interesting game recently, his Blue Sun vs. my Laramy Fisk. IIRC it came down to the last turn, I had a chance to win in HQ but whiffed, he scored last agenda on his turn. I think i’ll highlight it on my twitch when I get a chance

1 Like

Next cycle is going to be owned by the runners.

(Can’t wait for everyone crying how bad the corps need help… :stuck_out_tongue: )

2 Likes

Some sort of criminal Theophilius + Game Day jank could be pretty scary too. Make a bunch of money and then draw a bazillion cards for 2 clicks. Just don’t hit a Komainu…

1 Like

Building up to and culminating with C&C it was all about how awful the corps had it and how Noiseshop and CrimSiphon and Katman were racking up 75% - 85% win rates. The pendulum for this game has a long swing: it takes a while to come around but when it does it seems to go pretty far.

The thing is, my son was born and I took a long hiatus from the game around the time the corp was the runner’s punching bag. And as a die-hard corp player, it was a tough time indeed. I recently came back to the hobby and have been having a blast stomping all over my runner opponents. Comeuppance, even out-dated and stale comeuppance, is sweet.

5 Likes

Really? I’m looking at a 5-6 click runner here with no deck restrictions.
Anyone proxying her over the weekend and taking her for a test-drive?

You get a 5 click runner only if you have 2 installable cards of the same type in your hand that you want to and can afford to install. It only triggers on the first install each turn. Which is totally fine, but it isn’t nearly as good as the Collective, where you had a poor man’s diesel, a “2 clicks: gain 6” with Opus, and so on. That shit was seriously good.

6 Likes

Hell, even without Opus “2 clicks: gain 3” would keep econ up. “2 clicks: draw 3” would be handy as well.

Looks like I didn’t have to reply. Thanx!

2 Likes

Oh, wow. Modded with Hayley + Comet is interesting. T1 Opus + SMC is good… but if you get Comet out, you can Modded something out, install another thing from hand, and then play a second event all in one mad click. Goodness me.

1 Like

Hayley seems really well balanced and I think outside of dedicated program decks medium- and lowskilled runners should probably stick to Kate. She is likely the runner that rewards playing skill the most while having a high skill floor to use properly.

Being able to adjust your play to get the most use out of her triggers will be hard, and will likely require some serious deckbuilding skill as well. Really like the design!

3 Likes

She does seem harder to deckbuild for than Kate. But, having played a dedicated opus deck for a month or so now, I have to say I find sequencing triggers is trivial compared to long term cross-turn strategy planning (e.g., when should you take $6 and run r&d or install something versus when should you take $8).

It’s not really about sequencing triggers, it’s about managing carddraw for keeping up installs (and therefor card consumption of at least two cards / turn) while pressuring servers and keeping your economy going.

Ah, I see what you meant. Agreed – it’s similar in opus kate. Clicking 1-for-1 to draw is so painful that I’m even considering adding some earthrise hotel on top of the 3 diesel 3 QT I already have.

At the very least, if Comet is any good, then quality time will be amazing.

This is why Anarch is so problematic, especially in a tournament setting. You have to do this pretty much all the time, and even when you manage not to screw it up, you will probably still get bit in the ass by variance really hard.

“…and all my plans have come to naught…”

Am I alone in suspecting that Comet will be pretty insane in Criminal? I would argue that it might be similar in power level to Desperado, just with different upsides and downsides. There’s all sorts of powerful 2-event combos that Crims regularly pull off that just become way outrageous if they only cost one click.

2 Likes