Official Dumblefork Thread

Eh, I brought a slums to PDX, and while I got second, the slums did almost nothing for me all day, despite playing against IG a few times. Cool kids are packing 1x Mills and 1x Executive Search Firm, so Slums lasts 1, maybe 2 kills. They want to run that combo anyhow because it kills Wyldside, so it’s not even like if people stop playing Slums they’ll cut the Mills.

2 Likes

I think if you move up to two slums it starts to become a threat but the issue with that is you have to play two slums.

7 Likes

Yes, Executive Search Firm + Mills is a real problem. Faced it today and it was really annoying. You need to get rid of Mills before she blows the Slums up. Doing that requires a lot of luck or a misplay by opponent. Maybe a Councilman could help with that, though. Or if you can remove ESF, I guess it becomes harder to get Mills ready to go. Either way, I’m pretty convinced that one copy of Slums is not enough to counter IG reliably. Two + Employee Strike(s) probably wins most games vs IG, though the ability to play Cerebral Static every turn kind of makes ES not so great. Maybe Hades Shard? It could potentially surprise win in other matchups as well.

Still a hard ask, with most of our top 8s that feature IG featuring not that much IG in the rest of the cut. It’s very possible the best player at the tournament is playing IG, but you can hope he loses as runner twice in the cut, or hope he draws the my Howard my Howard why hast thou forsaken me hand against any opponent in the cut, instead of losing :click: at random across your entire tournament experience so that you might draw it against that guy and might install it and might win a game that you wouldn’t have won anyway.

1 Like

So could the solution be to go back to Archives Interface instead of Slums?

Thanks to executive search firm, BioLock gets to play with 7 chances for Jackson in the opener - its easier to tidy up a poor opener than it is for most other corps.

1 Like

If it’s a smart biolock build, it’s using that Executive Search firm to also find a singleton Elizabeth Mills, so you still get to the conclusion I’m going for here of “Don’t sleeve up slums.”

Archives interface requires you to run through the ice on archives. Sweet card but its pretty expensive to do this multiple times which AI requires.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I understand the complaint about Archives being expensive to run repeatedly. This is Sparta (erm… Dumblefork)! Trash problem ICE and run again. IG doesn’t have a lot of ICE, so you should be able to keep archives runs cheap.

I see the Dumblefork win condition on controlling the board state and grinding out the grinder. Keep archives face up, and trash the key assets that come into play. Use AI to clear the shocks out of Archives, and slowly remove the pieces that IG needs to win. It’s a slow miserable game from both sides of the table, but Whizzard’s ability favors him heavily in this matchup.

3 Likes

Yep, although if slots ever open up in this build, councilman probably could save your Slums most of the time.

Also, the bad pub is pretty awesome against IG, if you ever get your damn ID ability.

If you use Councilman to deny the Liz rez, they still get to remove a bad pub IF it’s their turn when they rez. Still worth it to get another round of slumdog millionaire, but it’s still a consideration.

At least a round - if they don’t overwrite Liz, you get to slum her. If they do, you can slum the ESF (or any recursion they have on board) and probably delay her reappearance.

1 Like

Right, but they won’t be able to pop you with her if the councilman is up.

Then you can safely run her and remove her from the game.

It also keeps you safe vs ronin rez and kill vs some of the other IG builds.

Edit- It occupies tech slots, but if the matchup is unbearable it is probably worth it.

Because protecting archives is important as IG vs whizz. Komainu into Hive is actually a pretty common set up. That is very nasty for Whizz to get into. Neither ice are that easy to trash with cutlery especially if a hostile infrastructure or two are rezzed so you need to play a parasite game with them. Face downs/C Static protect your hostiles and other assets. You can’t even run archives usually without mimic/ive had worse/clone chip if there is a facedown ice because komainu into shock kills you.

I have found that 1x Salsette or 1x Archives Interface sometimes can’t deal with a set up IG so I’ve chosen not to include them in my whizzard deck. This is form playing both sides of the mup a bit with @Saan @ossa.

1 Like

I agree. If people are teching against it, a x1 Slums by themselves is pretty much a dead draw, which might get you a bad pub for the rest of the game.

Which might not be aweful? But it probably requires another slot or two to make the slums stick, at which point you are eating up all of your tech slots on this rather than the alternative (Employee Strike).

I played against a regass Whiz with 2 Slums (in the same hand!) with my Gagarin today. Luckily for me he didn’t have them in the opener, but unluckily he did play the second one to nuke the ESF right after I nuked the first (which in return nuked a Jeeves). He had pretty much total board control for 2-3 turns while I was frantically Jacksoning to find Mills or another tutor again (remember, the bad pub pays the Gagarin tax!). Eventually I managed to stick a Tech Startup and kill the second Slums, but by then I was down 2 Jacksons, 2 Temples, a Jeeves and ESF, and a lot of tempo to boot.

I’m not sure what the moral of the story is supposed to be - maybe it’s ‘hope you draw all your tech cards together’? I’m not sure - but the second Slums is a helluva lot better than the first, unlike other tech like AI or ES. I suppose it all comes down to how many tech slots you’re interested in committing, but not having played the Whizz himself for a month or so, I’m not as qualified to comment.

Slots are so tight, I cannot fathom what to cut for x2. I also feel like I would probably slot councilman over a second or even deja vu. Deja vu at least gets me two more uses of parasite.

There are ways to deal with ICE on archives. Drawing aggressively is what Dumblefork does already, so they will likely come up with solutions (ICE destruction) as quickly as IG creates problems (problem ICE).

I can’t imagine why anyone would run through a Komainu and then access archives against IG. Whirlpool traps are neat, but I haven’t seen any in IG. Getting the Komainu face-up click 1, then drawing up would be the move to make if you need to get into archives. Losing a turn that way is less than optimal, but the corp isn’t exactly going to score in that window.

Seen some making an entrance, making the rounds.

Anyone tried that here? I think it would be better in Noise than Whizz, but it is helpful to know how far off your Wyld/Pancakes combo really is.

I like 2 of now that I’m finally trying dumblefork. Might go to 1 though. Game is basicaly won or lost on the wyldside draw so…