Official Rules Question Thread

It’s up to players to determine when priority is passed. (Added) You can rez Rototurret and then pass priority, but if the runner passes priority, play immediately goes to the next step, 2.4, and check if the ice is rezzed, then go to 3.1 because it’s rezzed. That is, once you pass and the runner passes, the window closes. So your last chance to use Troubleshooter is during 2.3 after you rez the ice.

Here’s a quick rundown of the steps:

2.3 approach

Runner passes because most runners do nothing here unless he’s Nasir. :wink:

Corp rezzes ice. Corp passes priority.

Runner passes priority – >go to Encounter step 3.1

OR

2.3 approach

Runner passes.

Corp rezzes Rototurret. Corp passes.

Nasir stays in Approach and pays for his Mimic off Workshop. Runner Passes priority.

Corp rezzes Corporate Troubleshooter and boosts Roto out of Mimic Range. Corp passes.

Runner passes.

Go to 3.1, Nasir triggers. He can’t break the ice, so it fires.

You didn’t even “use Ankusa”, so you couldn’t possibly have “used Ankusa to break all subroutines”.

2 Likes

But what if I use Ankusa’s +1 strength ability during the encounter

1 Like

You’d have used Ankusa, you’d have broken all subroutines, but you wouldn’t have used Ankusa to break all subroutines.

The breaking requires usage.

1 Like

Source? This would be my guess as to how it works, I’d just like to see the source of the ruling (and I don’t think the TMI ruling actually confirms it).

Because the game core rulebook and faq do not state that rez and paid abilities must be performed in a specific order, or that their eligibility for use expires.

Regarding your previous assumption that rezzing must happen before paid abilities, a quick look through the timing structure shows that paid abilities are listed first. This does not imply that PA must happen first. Otherwise Corp Troubleshooter would not work.

See ‘Timing Priority’ on p.21 of the Core Rulebook.

1 Like

The ability of the corp to do multiple things in a row without passing priority back is why you can rez then use Jackson to heal Keyhole damage even if Political Operative is in play also

So we got some rulings on Tennin/Trick of Light back when they were first released, that say that Tennin directs you to choose a card, you can choose a non-installed card.

However, since then, we’ve gotten this FAQ entry that would seem to apply to Tennin’s wording. Does this override the old ruling?

I’m pretty sure that at first it was ruled that you could Tennin identity cards but then later they changed their minds.

2 Likes

Good enough, I suppose. If it was meant to work the other way then rezzing the ice would probably be its own step.

So the consequence here is that if the runner is approaching an unrezzed last piece of ice on a server with a rezzed Caprice in it, if they want to Plop Caprice they have to do it before the corp decides whether to rez the ice or not (or else the corp can just not rez the ice and then there’s no window to Plop before Caprice triggers. Also note that a single Plop will only “beat” two Caprice in one server if the last piece of ice in the server is rezzed).

2 Likes

:smile:

1 Like

Ankusa. If I use it to break one sub on a barrier, then use e3 to break the additional ones, would I be able to bounce the ICE?

All the subs are broken, and Ankusa was used. (Without it e3 would not be possible)

I’m just looking to see if there are ways to plays this card that make it not as expensive.

Does break one mean the same as break all? No.

I’m not sure how people are having so much trouble with this card. In order to use the special uninstalling ability, you need to use Ankusa’s paid ability:

2 credits: Break barrier subroutine.

on each and every subroutine that the barrier has.

I don’t know that it’s so trivial, obvious, or straightforward.

I Paintbrush a Tour Guide, then run, then I break the Tour Guide’s two subs with Ankusa that are based on 2 Launch Campaigns, then I trash both Launch Campaigns using Political Operatives before ending the subroutine-breaking-paid-ability-window (it has a phase number, I just don’t remember it). Does Tour Guide return to hand or not? What if I break half the subs before destroying the subs?

1 Like

Hayley has 2 agendas in her score area and 2 fan sites installed. Chairman Hiro of the Jinteki Corporation advances his Philotic agenda and scores it. How many net damage will Hayley suffer, and why?

“When more than one ability have the same timing trigger or ability to be triggered at the same time, there are two criteria for determining the order or resolution: 1. Turn priority. 2. Player’s choice”

So Hayley will suffer 2 net damage, unless Chairman Hiro scores Philotic not the standard way, but on Hayley’s turn using Plan B.

1 Like

In the first case where you break all the subs, the Ankusa bounce would happen immediately (before you get to choose another thing to do in the window and trash any Launch Campaigns). You have fulfilled the trigger.

In the second case where you break half of them, this seems to be covered by the Ashigaru ruling:

(Subroutines tracked as a running total, so you would also bounce it.)

2 Likes

That is correct! Not sure you’ve watched the steam, but this scenario sort of came up during the US National Final game at Origins.

good find!