Official Rules Question Thread

That’s my understanding as well. Moving Kakugo doesn’t stop the ability from resolving. It’s still been passed.

I thought the UFAQ question was more relevant, but it’s about 2 simultaneous triggers for the runner rather than 1 for runner and 1 for corp. Darn.

Dean Lister + Faust. Does the strength drop with each subroutine broken, or does it drop at once after an encounter with a piece of ice? On jnet it seems to be the latter, but I think it should be the former given how it’s worded.

It ought to drop with each subroutine broken.

It ought to drop with each card spent, which means it actually drops just before the sub is broken.

I don’t think it matters if the strength drops below with the first break, given the Wraparound vs. Spike ruling. My guess is that it wouldn’t not work for a second subroutine.

2 Likes

I hadn’t seen that ruling. It looks to me like the ruling it links to has been superseded/clarified by this bit of the FAQ:

When a card has a trash ability that is triggered, any reference to the game state within that resolving effect is based on the game state as it was at the moment of trashing, but with the trashed card considered a new copy of that card in Archives or the heap.

That section only talks about trash abilities, which I believe means cards that trash themselves as costs. But in the absence of a separate ruling about cards that trash other cards as costs, I think it could be argued that it applies to those too.

If that’s the case, then you can break a sub with a Lister-boosted Faust even if paying the cost causes Faust’s strength to drop below the ice’s. But I don’t think you can break another sub after that, because that would require using the sub-breaking ability a second time after the strength is too low. I don’t think you can even try to trigger the ability again because it has no potential to change game state.

(The original ruling is also in response to questions about cards that are trashed while abilities on them are only partially resolved, but I don’t think that applies here.)

The strength check is on using the ability that would interact with the ice. If using Faust causes it to go below strength, it will still break but won’t be able to break again until boosted.

5 Likes

This came up in a Jinteki.net game. Resources on Supplier aren’t trashed when All-Seeing-I is played, if Supplier is saved by Fall Guy, correct? They’re not installed, so the can only installed cards can be chosen rule takes affect is my reasoning. I quoted it from the FAQ, but they were still skeptical.

Yeah, you can’t trash things that aren’t installed. That’s like using Aggressive Secretary to target a breaker on a Personal Workshop. It won’t work, because that breaker doesn’t exist. Same with that Earthrise Hotel on the Supplier. If you could trash it, then I should be able to use it to draw cards while the Supplier holds in in wait =P

3 Likes

AgInfusion redirects a runner into a server with a rezzed piece of ICE. My understanding is that the runner immediately goes from Step 2.1 on the now trashed ICE to Step 3.1 on the new piece of ICE.

This means there is no “when encounter” triggers, right?. So the Tollbooth tax does not happen and Komainu does not get any subs (bad stuff) but Sifr and Security Nexus cannot be used and the heap breakers cannot be installed (good stuff).

Is my understanding correct on this?

Edit: Disregard the above.

No you go to step 3, so all “when encountered” conditionals meet their trigger conditions.

Good to know. I guess the wording of “is encountering” instead of “encounters” was throwing me. Thanks for the response :slight_smile:.

If a runner has the turning wheel installed, runs rd, uses counters, TTW is trashed by Colossus, will the runner still access extra cards?

Suppose I play Accelerated Diagnostics and the first operation I play with it is a Blue Level Clearance, which draws me the other 2 AD cards. Does the “Trash the rest of the unplayed cards you looked at.” trash the 2 cards that I drew?

Yes. This is no different than any other paid ability persisting through source destruction.

I believe not. The cards are no longer in the pool of cards being looked at to be trashed.

2 Likes

Just to clarify - you also don’t get to look at/play/trash the next 2 cards with AD. (Not that @ironcache was suggesting this, but I know some people will ask.)

2 Likes

Can anyone explain the ruling for Illegal Arms Factory and Marilyn Campaign, given we have so many other cards like Edge of World, Psychic Field, and Snare! that are active even when unrezzed?

It’s because the latter set of cards you refer to have a specific “When the runner accesses X, do Y” clause, and the FAQ defines these sorts of clauses to be active even when the cards are unrezzed.

5 Likes

Simple:
Abilities that trigger upon Runner Access work while unrezzed.

(NINJA’d, dammit.)

3 Likes

Asked this one on r/Netrunner but we couldn’t figure it out for sure.

What happens if a High-Stakes Job gets redirected by Agfusion to another server? Can the runner still get 12 credits?