Official Rules Question Thread

The click is part of the cost, it’s written as such. Installing the card (playing it to the board) is an effect, it’s written as such. It makes sense that the printed install cost for Runner cards, the ICE install cost for the Corp and any additional costs for either side are costs, since they’re called costs! :slight_smile:

Okay, but why doesn’t playing an event or operation affect the game state by itself? Installing a card does - there is now an installed card in play. But there’s also an event card in the heap - why isn’t that enough?

That seems totally opposite from how Pawnshop + Wyldslide was just explained to me. Pawnshop and Wyldslide both trigger, the player chooses to resolve Pawnshop first, then the player chooses to resolve Wyldslide next, but the game checks if Wyldslide is still on the table and decides that Wyldslide should do nothing. Wyldslide has to be there both when its triggering condition is met, and when it comes time to resolve it. You’re saying Comet can be there when its triggering condition is met, but need not be there when it comes time to resolve it? WHY?

If you’re saying that Pawnshop totally finishes resolving before Wyldslide even triggers off start of turn, in which case there’s no reason I shouldn’t be able to fully resolve Adonis trickle and Executive Boot Camp before a second Adonis trickle. Unless you come up with a convoluted “Halfway triggered state” or something. I see no understandable way Hayley-yes Pawnshop-yes Adonis-no can work out.

Because of the way “simultaneous triggers” work. Whenever more than one ability would trigger from the same event, those abilities are put into the queue and the players choose the order that those abilities trigger, not the order that those abiliies resolve. There can only be one student at the front of the classroom, but any number of kids can have their hands raised waiting to be called to the front of the class.

Reread page 22, and you will see the distinction in language.

[quote=“Core Rule Book”]
When one or more abilities have the same timing trigger or can be triggered at the same time, each player chooses the order his own abilities trigger. A player can trigger an optional conditional ability before a required conditional ability if they both have the same trigger condition.

Simultaneous effect example
The Runner has Aesop’s Pawnshop and Wyldside installed and both have the same trigger condition of “When your turn begins.” The Runner begins his turn and can choose to trigger the optional conditional ability on Aesop’s Pawnshop first, gaining 3< by trashing Wyldside. This stops Wyldside’s required conditional ability from triggering, keeping the Runner from losing [click].[/quote]

2 Likes

You’re trying to compare apples to oranges. Cards that are or are not present for their trigger conditions is a completely different situation from cards that are waiting for their turn to trigger.

Your next post explained it.

Man that’s complicated. 3 different states, waiting to trigger, triggered, resolving.

But it makes sense now.

1 Like

Kudos to @CrushU by the way. The classroom is the best anology I’ve seen for Netrunner abilities.

4 Likes

Good question. If you go back to the rulebook for playing operations:

[quote=“Rulebook p.12”]Playing Operations
For click, the Corporation plays an operation from his hand by
paying its play cost. He then places it faceup in his play area,
immediately resolves the effects of the operation, and trashes it.
[/quote]

Trashing the operation is separate from the effect of the operation itself. Is it a part of the effect of the entire action “play an operation” though? Looks like it’s part of the job of clarifying the sequence of events in playing operations/events that Jacob has spoken of wanting to see…

Do I have to be encountering Code Gate Ice to activate Study Guide’s “place a power counter” ability?

Do I have to be running at all to activate Study Guide’s “place a power counter” ability?

Multithreader wants to know.

Nope, you don’t. The only restriction is that you use subroutine-breaking abilities only during an encounter. Most other abilities, like strength-buffing ones as well as this counter-placing one, don’t have any such requirement.

2 Likes

Ok, cool, that tells me everything I need to know about the Study Guide deck I’m planning.

But strength buffing ones really don’t have to be used during a run? That’s interesting. Does that mean Nasir can spend all his money buffing the strength of Corroder when the corp rezzes Curtain Wall, but before he encounters it, and the Corroder’s improved strength will stay long enough to be applied to the Curtain Wall? Or any runner can use the strength buffing ability on Corroder before they install Bagbiter on their first click, and have that extra strength stick around until the next encounter with ice? (or the full duration of their next run that turn, if it’s a Gordian Blade?)

Surely it all resets by the end of the turn. And I wouldn’t be surprised if you told me it resets between clicks or something.

Strength only lasts during the course of an encounter. So outside of an encounter a strength boost immediately goes away.

1 Like

Whoa, ok, the Comet thing has blown my mind.
I would’ve thought it would work… OH WOW THAT’S WHY. Cascading Triggers…
Comet is worded very specifically, and remember that we resolve any cascaded triggers before we resolve the original thing that caused it…

"The first time you play an event each turn, you may play another event (without spending a click) after the first one resolves."
That is the precise text. So basically, Uninstall goes to the front of the class to do his thing, but Comet triggers, and because of Cascading Triggers, Game calls on Comet before Uninstall finishes his thing. Comet says ‘I’ll play another event after Uninstall’s done’, and then is finished doing the thing. Uninstall takes Comet away … to wherever your Grip is in this analogy… And then Game does the thing Comet said to do: Play another Event.

That’s kinda nuts.

Also you’re welcome for the classroom analogy. I feel like I cribbed it from a discussion on Magic triggers from somewhere, but I’m not sure. I know that triggers at least work similarly, that cards with triggered abilities are always ‘watching’ the game state to see if there’s ever a state when they could trigger, no matter how infinitesimally small that state was. (Sure Gamble at 5 credits triggers Order of Sol is the clearest case for that.)

We think we know the answer, but…

Adam has Always Be Running in play, and corp has ELP out. Runner can refuse the additional click cost and is then not obliged to spend a click running. This much is understood, right?

What if Adam chooses a server for his first click run which has a Ruhr Valley rezzed in it, can he refuse the additional click and not have to run?

No because Adam can run a different server instead. There would have to be a Ruhr on all available servers.

3 Likes

Noise got 1MU left, for exemple with Corroder / Mimic / Whatever decoder or ai.

He’ve got 3 virus in hand and a mass Install and enough creds.

Can he play mass Install, using the sequential install new reruling for :

• install say datasucker, trash a r&d card
  • trash ds, install a 2nd ds, trash a r&d card
  • trash 2nd ds, install a 3rd ds, trash a r&d card ?

Or does he have to make MU room before ?

Or he can’t play mass install without having 3 MU free ?

Or (etc) ?

Runner plays Kraken on a server with a rezzed Architect and other ice. Could the corp choose to trash the architect, which would have no effect?

4 Likes

No. The corp must trash the other ice.