OFFICIAL Stimhack OCTGN League PART II

Hrmmm… Here’s lookin @ you collective.

As our assistent ( Crim, milk and two sugars please! :blush:) was saying, yes you can!

@gumOnShoe: that’s excluded…

1 Like

Oh jeez it’s right there in the OP, what an idiot
:frowning:

Raining on my troll parade. -_-

3 Likes

I’m the Gary Bettman of this League, it’s my job! :smile:

1 Like

You know, It’s pretty cool all the (semi)competitive decks are in the stimhack league right now and I can play jank decks vs other even more jankier decks in the rest of the games. Got my first 14 advanced project ares yesterday.

On a serious note, I should really play more League games, but it can be a pain to find one sometimes(my playing hours suck)

3 Likes

Given how you played against me, I wouldn’t say that you had too much to worry about tbh.

Something I thought about this morning. Since the corp side is stronger and the runner usually taxes the player’s brain more, I usually opt to run first since this way my mind will be clearer. And then, most of my corp decks are fast and stupid so no prob there.

However, I just realised that in a way I cheat. The corp wins are more than the runner wins at this point of the game’s history. So, if I lose with the runner and then win with the corp, I will net more points in total than winning the the corp and then losing with the runner.

The structure of the ranking is such that it is better to lose and then win in a tied game.

Go figure…

2 Likes

pro tip: if you win both games, you get even more points :kissing_heart:

In all seriousness, we’re open to suggestions and alternatives. So far, there was none…

3 Likes

Well, I did not mean to be rude or something, i really love the league and try to play as many games as possible. Still, there are some problems with the ranking system IMHO. Moreover, the problem is worse because of the different power level between the factions now.

Out of my head, since most of the players play both games, a score of 1-1 should be reported differently or something, lessening the problem.

Dunno, just thoughts.

pro tip answer: I am at #10 right now, I hope that I will win more 2-0 games but if you see at my stats you will see that I really have a lot of 1-1s, some of them costing me a lot of points, some of them netting me a lot of points. It all depends on the ranking of the opponent IMHO and the timing of the results.

I feel that All That Remains went some way to addressing the power imbalance, and whilst I’ve had more corp splits than runner splits it doesn’t feel that it’s all that much easier as corp.

Unfortunately, we do not have a dedicated tag/flag for the league games so as to extract data directly from the raw data of OCTGN. Still, i think that the corp side is stronger when talking about players of roughly the same skill level. The #1 of the league has a crazy win record so i think that my statement does not aply to him but still i think that the corp side ir stronger, much stronger IMHO.

After all, meta is a really important part of AnR right now, with so many cards released, and playing games against corp decks that you do not know if they are either FA or have tag punishmnet/brain/net/meat damage makes the life or the Runner more difficult.

Take into account that if you had the same games in a real life event you would probably know by round 3 which players play flatline and which not, and play your matches against them accordingly.

I do not say that knowing the deck of your opponent is good, on the contrary, i really enjoy playing against decks that i am not sure if they are flatline or not, but i tend to lose more to them :).

English is not my native tongue, i hope that i made my point clear.

Cheers!

1 Like

I understand the point in general, but I think you can more accurately try to tech against specific opponents in the league than in tournaments. By looking at the comments left on past games of your opponent, you can almost always see their favoured identities, and this can be incredibly useful. For example, I know I’d much rather be Kate against PE than Andy, and I’d rather be Andy vs NEH than Kate (given my personal builds of both Kate and Andy).

For example, looking at #1, you can see that although he plays a huge range of corps, he almost always plays Andy. This is useful information.

The meta has grown enough that pretty much all decks have a bad matchup now, and a lot of the skill in the league is trying to mitigate those as much as possible, because losses to people rated much lower than you really hurt, and it’s frustrating if that happens more because of a bad matchup than of any in-game mistakes.

2 Likes

I agree to all your points. Actually a lot of people agree, that is why I and other players just report Corp Win and Runner win only :).

Gulp.

1 loss to me not realizing I’m playing Kit (facepalm)
1 loss to the perfect draw NEH (lost in whichever is the lowest number of turns it takes to astro train out a win)
1 loss to a perfectly drewn HB FA.

First win after got me 7 points. I need a hug :frowning:

3 Likes

Netrunner can get really swingy when you’re playing evenly skilled players.

We’re gonna miss you in Holland Stiv. Luckily we have this forum and OCTGN :hug:

I’ll be back for Store championships, don’t worry :wink:

1 Like

Anyone would think it was game that fundementally comes down to plucking cards off the top of a deck at random :smile:.

(I kid…mostly)

@flickerwisp: thanks for notifying on the rejected match. We’ll get back to you ASAP.

@thelyncha, can you provide info (text and screenshot) on the match between @Paranoid and you? What happened?