OFFICIAL Stimhack OCTGN League PART II

Here we go, i’m on a 13 winstreak again. My doge deck is also on a 16 games winning streak in the league.

3 Likes

17 Likes

I should make a custom-card like that for my next game night.

Also, why is the Anarch dog so terrible compared to the other dogs? </whine>

3 Likes

It’s not a bad card. It just doesn’t have a deck. It’ll see play post O&C.

1 Like

It will see play when swordsman become more common because every top anarch deck will run Eater / Keyhole / Wanton Destruction :wink:

4 Likes

Cuj.0 costs at most 1c more than garrotte to get through ICE while it works. The problem is that Mimic is amazing (when it works) - most decks pay inflence for it - unlike the fracters in Shaper and decoders in Criminal. Nobody is spending inf on peacock!

1 Like

Well, I just finished playing the closest game I ever played (no exaggeration). I can’t not write a short report on how it finished. Context: I’m playing a Yellow Jackets-style NEH and my opponent is playing supplier Andy—getting 3 credits for doing nothing each turn with a full rig installed, plus every resource in the game. I’ve mulligan’d into a hand with 3 agendas and some junk, but managed to sneak out an early Beale. He’s built his economy machine, stolen a couple of Breaking News as well as an NAPD, and I’ve snuck out a naked Astro and scored a Beale off a SanSan.

So! Going into the decisive round, I am at 6 points with an Astro token, and my opponent is at 4 points and a terrifying board.

In a last-ditch effort, I install an NAPD in the Architect-Popup remote and click for credits, ending the turn at 5.

He’s at 5 credits after the Contacts business at the start of his turn. First click runs R&D, no rez, sees 3 cards—nothing. Second click uses Tri-maf to go to 7.

Third click runs remote, letting Architect hit—I install an Astro (fourth card in R&D—he just missed it) in a new remote and an Architect from hand over it. He pays Pop-up and steals NAPD, bringing him down to 2 credits but up to 6 points.

Last click he runs new remote, I rez Architect (bringing me down to 2), which he lets hit, giving him 2 credits for his Employees to go up to 4—I fire it and the 5th card in R&D is a Red mother fucking Herring, which I install and rez, meaning he’s 1 credit short for the Astro!

Meanwhile I’m at 1 credit, and can go credit, advance, advance, Astro-token for the win.

Kudos to my opponent, who was a nice guy despite losing such an incredibly tight game.

13 Likes

Game is hard. I’m not good enough and don’t play enough to compete for a top 4 finish. I’m going to try to win at my own game and get a league win with every ID. I might save BWBI until O&C is rezzed (or until it looks like that won’t happen until after the league finishes). I have no idea what I’m going to do with Nisei Division. But anyway, hope to see you in games.

2 Likes

Play me apparently! I just lost to one.

Registered.

psoto on OCTGN.

There’s a decent one out there that’s like every jinteki deck ever, dangerous until you know how it works.

Translation: “When it works, it still sucks”. That thing seriously needed to either install for 1-2 credits, cost 0 mem, or have a strength of 3. Compare to Lady and/or Faerie, lol and build a campfire with your copies.

Snowflake is already a decent piece of ICE for centrals, in Nisei it can become sort of a soft Pop-Up. Cerebral Cast wasn’t worth it last I tried (and I doubt it got better with Weyland’s rise in popularity courtesy of Blue Sun), but turning off attrition runs on Caprices and TFP-filled hands is definitely cool.

Mamba came out, but seems bad - not 100% certain though, haven’t tested.

3 Likes

Both of those comparisons are unfair. The one to Faerie is unfair because Criminals are the killer-faction, so of course their killer is better. The one to Lady is unfair because sentries are meant to be harder to break than the other ice types. Not all killers are terrible, but I don’t think any of them are actually good.

Sentries are not harder to break. To the contrary, because taxing a program is more a hindrance than etr, sentries at the same cost are usually easier to break or kill.

Compare grim, hive komainu.

Komainu. Start dies to a parasite.
Grim 6 to break but give a bp
hive 8 to break.

Merlin. Cost 6 str4. 1 sub. And needs 2 hand slots and 3 inf…

1 Like

I agree. I mean, Cujo makes sense when compared to the other dogs. It’s just that I don’t see a real good use for it, especially with Mimic in faction. And I think, because of Mimic, they have had to make sentries either high strength or with a lot of subroutines for them to be played at all. And what are you gonna do, spend 3 on a Cujo in order to break a Tsurugi once, for 2 credits? Or an Architect or Caduceus twice, for 3 each time? Or spend 3 on a Mimic and break them any number of times. If Mimic wasn’t in faction I’d be all over Cujo. (I would also have been very sad this past year of running the nets.)

I really wish those fallacies that Alex created with his stretched Magic analogies would finally die.

(and no, Cujo doesn’t make sense when compared to the other dogs).

1 Like

Those ice are so wildly different that it makes little sense to compare them.

However, you are correct, sentries tend to have worse stats than the other ice of comparable cost. I was thinking about it from the wrong angle, what I should’ve said was that killers tend to be less efficient, or handicapped in some way compared to decoders and fracters.

I think the point of Cuj.0 is just to be an in-faction pumpable sentry breaker. Yeah, there isn’t all that much need for that with David in-faction, but still.

But that’s exactly the problem - it’s way too expensive for that: you need to pay 4 before you can even begin dreaming about breaking anything that an unsupported Mimic can’t touch. You need Mimic anyway, so that means you’re not saving any card slots by using Cujo - just dedicate those slots to Mimic support, you’ll get free Yog and Parasite support out of the deal, and you’re infinitely better off.

4 Likes

You break Tsurugi twice and Architect four times with a Cujo.
And comparing it to the lower Strenght sentries is where it is the weakest. If high strenght sentries make a comeback it will become more usefull. With Archer making a comeback with Titan and Argus mimic becomes worse. Unless you always run with 3 DS tokens which sometimes you just can’t do.
Also, Cujo is not that bad with decks that make very powerfull runs instead of a lot of runs. Which might be more feasible in Anarch once Incubator powered Medium runs become a thing.
I’m not saying its mind blowing but its not that bad, even against the lower strenght ICE it breaks for usually about the same cost as mimic. You just need to not run every turn. Its perfect for power runs.

2 Likes