OFFICIAL Stimhack OCTGN League PART II

I jinxed you—I’m sorry.

(not really)

it’s ok. I just feel it’s silly for someone at the top of the elo ranking to not play if he want to keep that. :confused:

3 Likes

New rule: every league game must be followed by a 2-hour chat where random people show up and join in.

4 Likes

The vast majority of people don’t play enough to balance their ELO. You’re winning, you’ll be fine. It’ll get somewhere and stay about the same.

It still sucks to know that playing a game is -EV to your ELO. Although one reason I’m a big fan of the cut to top 4 is that it helps by lowering the amount of people who would be better off not playing in order to remain above the cut.

Also I am going to continue idly wondering how hard it would be to run a version of challengeboards that used something like Glicko in the hopes that someone who is not lazy like me will decide to be a hero.

1 Like

Agreed, ELO is just a terrible metric.

It’s a terrible metric when playing is a player’s choice. I think it works pretty well for establishing rankings when maximising it is not actually the player’s goal (instead it’s winning a tournament or something).

3 Likes

Any suggestions to another site or system (other then ELO) is welcome. Is it possible to manually do it? Or is that too much?

I think we should stick with ELO for this league, but look into alternatives for future leagues. Another issue I’ve encountered is that it matters when matches are reported relative to each other.

Definitely ride this one out, talking about future leagues. Glicko2 solves the reporting order issue, btw.

Have an online solution custom-built for our local league, I’m sure it could be tweaked for Stimhack League purposes. Browser-based, glicko2-powered.

2 Likes

What’s it written in? Is it on github or anything? :slight_smile:

Hi all - this league has finally convinced me to get a stimhack account, though I expect my current vague hopes of making it to top 4 by the end are probably going to be cruelly dashed.

4 Likes

I still haven’t had a chance to start playing. Gah. Maybe this weekend…

Ruby, if memory serves. Contacted the author re: both questions, will report back.

Nice, I :heart_eyes: ruby and would love to see what it looks like :).

1 Like

PM with link sent. Anyone else interested, gimme a shout.

in a format like this, do you folks think a loss with 6 points is any different from a loss with 0? is a loss just a loss? just wondering what others opinions are

I’m glad FFG moved away from the scoring model of rewarding the losing player based on how many agenda points they get. It made NBN better and “control” decks like PE or opus kate much worse.

8 Likes

Yes, points are not an accurate or proportional measure of how well a player is doing, especially considering different deck styles.

This, for sure. Especially against strong players, the post-mortem is often more useful for improving than the game itself.

2 Likes