[Official] Trading Thread

its like store owner’s dont pay for those cards in the first place and netrunner was mtg like size, so there is nothing left after making 3 tournaments…

I’d be interested in trading a Sucker for a Kate.

@Terrificy, here’s the bit that’s bothering me:

Originally, Game Night Kits were distributed more freely. Apparently though, some assholes were buying out the kits for the sole purpose of selling them as singles. What you’re doing here is not fundamentally different from selling prize support off for personal gain. You might be able to dress it up a little, but the essence remains. Ask yourself this question:

“If I trade off those 8 Noises, who will benefit? Will it be me, or will it be the player community the original prize support package was intended for?”

If the cards you get in exchange for the Noises will be used to improve the prize pools of future events, support weekly league play, spice up draft tournaments, fine. If not, there’s a problem.

(and please don’t give me lines like “The TO deserves to be rewarded for their hard work”. It’s volunteer work, if you don’t like doing it then hand it off to someone else. Also, technically you do get a cut out of every single GNK and other kit, so that’s plenty reward)

What I’d personally prefer happen to the unused prize support we’re all sitting on as TOs is pretty simple: make sure they reach people that didn’t have a chance to get them. Sometimes that means donating your spare stuff as prizes for an online league, sometimes that means responding to a call out by another TO that couldn’t get that sort of support for his event. It sure as hell doesn’t mean trading them off so you get more swag.

Of course, that comes right back to the problem of “we can’t have nice things because some people are dicks”, so there’s that.

The bottom line is, I’d rather not have things come to a point where every card of prize support has to be either accounted for, or sent back to the distributor. Obvious profiteering has already complicated the prize support situation once in the past, I don’t want it to happen again. If you utterly must trade off your “leftovers”, at least be intelligent and leave the quantities out of your posting, so it’s not as painfully evident.

p.s.:
This is bollocks and you know it - players don’t need more than one copy of an identity, and tons of people were around for more than one Chronos, same as with Plugged-In.

8 Likes

[quote=“PeekaySK, post:64, topic:1819”]
tons of people were around for more than one Chronos, same as with Plugged-In.
[/quote]You didn’t even need to go to Chronos. Neither me nor my gf went to any of those but we have already won one Making News each at other tournaments where Chronos TOs were throwing leftover ones as extra prizes.

2 Likes

Likewise, many TOs here use leftovers as extra prizes. In fact, it’s pretty common to split a tournament kit in half to allow for multiple tournaments with prize support.

2 Likes

Right, I also sponsored some Gabes I traded with my won NBNs to local tournaments. Sure, I’ve sold some Chronos Playmats I won(btw, those all went for 35-40 USD shipping included, I’m not trying to make some ridiculous profit). Most of the spare kati’s, adonis etc from TOing just went to local small events, like cube drafts. Selling them just feels insane to me

1 Like

this is so ridiculous to judge people based on quantities of promo cards in their trading post…

so much bullshit @PeekaySK: u dont know his situation, size of his playgroup, if the guy is shop owner and spend HIS OWN money on promos, but yet u comment that what he is doing is plain bad.

i got more than twenty adonises given to me as during tournaments i participated in. ill remember next time i post in this thread i better write i got only three or otherwise self-appointed ethics committee of stimhack forum will arrive…

I think it’s worth pointing out that there’s a gigantic difference between having 10+ Adonis to say, 10+ Kati Jones AND 10+ MN, AND all the other stuff.

One is freely available as long as you attend multiple game nights, whereas the other is much more limited.

It doesn’t take a genius to figure out what is going on, and the fact that people are getting defensive means that they know what they’re doing isn’t exactly by the book. Especially when the justification is essentially “everyone else is doing it”.

TOs run tournaments because it is either making them money or they love the game. There really isn’t a good excuse for profiteering and I’m sure deep down, everyone who’s doing so knows it too.

4 Likes

I pretty much agree with Flickerwisp in that what type of promos are stashed matters.

I really don’t care if someone has a load of Game Night Kit promos or even from the Store Championship, at least around my area there are loads of those to go around and they have very little value.

On the other hand I really think that TOs shouldn’t keep large stacks of valuable promos for personal use but I doubt this is the case here as I am fairly sure @Terrificy didn’t organize a Nationals last year. For Regionals, Nationals and special events there tend to be a high participation cost involved and I would like to see spare promos given out as additional price support among the participants. For a game where we want higher participation numbers these spare promos are as close as we are going to get to monetary price support and they make it easier to motivate spending on travel and accomodation.

3 Likes

or they tried to make money from tournaments, but game in their area did not catch up enough and they are left with dozens of useless promos they paid for with their own money.

all your points maybe would held if ffg give away promos for free, but they do not. you have to pay a lot for any kit they release…

I doubt this is the case here as I am fairly sure @Terrificy didn’t organize a Nationals last year.

I’m fairly sure you actually know where I got the promos from, Magnus.
For anyone else - I’m a TO, and I got a huge amount of spare Noises from the guy who organized our Nationals to ‘improve our own environment’, as he put it. After making sure everyone who plays at the local store has a Noise or two, in my opinion, the best thing I can do is to trade them away and get some cool prize support.

Profiteering, personal gain and other buzzwords.
I already wrote that I mainly do this to keep our monthly Tournament Kit tournaments free. You guys can stop throwing these words around.

I’ve been giving my Adonis away for free locally. I still have 50+ and I can’t get rid of them. I TO’d 5 Store Championships in 2014 and I still can’t get rid of my Kati Jones, and everybody who attended one of them has gotten 3 from me - and everybody who plays at the local store.

The difference between Plugged-In and Chronos was that at Plugged-In, every player just got a Gabe - at Chronos, every store got a kit with 50. Trust me, there were some smaller ones with loads of spare NBN IDs - a lot more than people who attended two tournaments.

Nice point, boss. I’m simply not participating in any online environment where I would feel like donating promos to a league (and you sure aren’t making me feel welcome). I already have a complete promo collection, so I’m just trying to gather some cool prize support for my locals.

Things used to be at the “every card must be accounted for” point when Nationals TO’s were told to send their spare Private Security Forces back to FFG.In 2013. They obviously went away from that.
Could you further explain the situation where that actually complicated prize support?

You’re really going strong at this, huh. I’m not going to remove the amounts - that doesn’t seem like a problem to me, and surely I won’t when you insult my intelligence and make a fight out of it.

1 Like

Yet the first thing on your wanted list is cash. Do as you see fit, but I think peekay made some great points and I disagree with your method as well.

Now let this trading thread be a trading thread again

2 Likes

I previously said that I am paying for all Tournament Kits in my playgroup and charging no admission fee. Cash also allows you to buy other kinds of promotional items. It also allows you to buy Data Packs. It also allows you to buy prints of Netrunner art, and if you have enough of it, you can even get a Netrunner artist to paint a picture and you can slap it on a playmat and have a pretty cool prize. You also work with some morbid assumption that my want list is sorted in a manner that reflects what I would like to get; it is purely to make it easier to read.

In a situation where you don’t actually have a distributor for a game, it’s pretty sucky when the policy gets changed to “promos available through distributors only”. The only reason I could keep the local league going with interesting prizes after that change was that I had been ordering one extra kit off of each batch (sinking my own money into the enterprise, naturally). Even so, it was all cutting it pretty close - if I recall correctly, there was a two-month lull between using the last of my stash and the first distributor-provided kit arriving. Hell, I’m still in a situation where I can’t really just do a small tournament whenever I like, because there’s prize support issues

So, yeah - forgive me if I’m not particularly keen to re-live that experience on a grander scale.

You’re free to do as you see fit, just as I’m free to call you out on any of it. Ultimately, the only thing that matters is whether there’re enough people who use access to promos for their own profit to fuck it all up again.

I gotta admit I’m really curious about that judge program FFG hinted at last year, though. If it were all a bit more structured, I can see it going good places.

1 Like

Want
3 Eli (Worlds 2013 Participation)
1 Gabriel Santiago (Plugin-Tour Participation)
2 Crypsis (Game Night Kit 1)
3 Private Security Force (GenCon 2013 Participation)

For trade
2 Andromeda / Cerebral Imaging plastic ID (Regionals 2014 Top 4)
1 Kate (Game Night Kit 2) English
1 Datasucker (Game Night Kit 3) English
1 Click tokens set (Regionals 2013)
1 Credit tokens set (Game Night Kit 1)
1 Plastic Virus tokens set (Worlds 2014 top 8)
1 Plastic Virus tokens set (Regionals 2014 Top 16)
2 NBN: Making News (Chronos Protocol) English and French
2 Noise: Hacker Extraordinaire (Nationals 2014) English and French
2 Corporate Troubleshooter (Regionals 2014) English and French
2 Haas-Bioroid: Engineering the Future (Game Night Kit 5) English and French
2 Weyland Consortium: Building a Better World (Game Night Kit 7) English

3 Chaos Theory (Store Championship 2015) English
3 Kati Jones (Store Championship 2014) English and French
3 Scorched Earth (Game Night Kit 2) English or French
3 Aesop’s Pawnshop (Game Night Kit 6) English
6 Plascrete Carapace (Game Night Kit 7) English
6 Wyldside (Game Night Kit 5) English and French
6 Adonis Campaign (Game Night Kit 3) English

1 Chronos Protocol playmat (Chronos Protocol Top 8)
3 Pawn playmat (Regionals 2014 Top 8) English and French
1 Freelancer playmat (Game Night Kit 7 winner) English
3 Wotan playmat (Store Championship 2014 Top 4)
2 Planned Assault playmat (Game Night Kit 5 winner) English and French
1 Deep Red playmat (Game Night Kit 6 winner)
2 Kit playmat (Store Championship 2015 Top 4)

1 Like

[quote=“mtgred, post:76, topic:1819”]
1 Plastic Virus tokens set (Worlds 2014 top 8)
1 Plastic Virus tokens set (Regionals 2014 Top 16)[/quote]
BTW, as you are one of few people to have both at hand, could you make a good photo of both together and post so we can see how they differ? Thanks :smile:

4 Likes

Here’s a picture of all the tokens from FFG. :slight_smile:

Worlds virus tokens are in the middle, the Regionals ones are on the right.

5 Likes

You’re missing the faction-specific ones from the Season 1 GNK :slight_smile:

Those from Worlds are more like power tokens, no?

To be honest, I’m not sure I quite like the worlds tokens. The standard ones are a bit more clear I think, due to the black background.