Police Academy, The NAPD MWL Professor

Now that have your attention I think there is some need to discuss our favorite Academic in Netrunner in the Post-NAPD world.

To get the ball rolling here is a list I’ve been testing on Jinteki (by no means final or indicative!)

Police Academy I

The Professor: Keeper of Knowledge

Event (15)
3x Diesel
3x Dirty Laundry
1x Levy AR Lab Access
2x Quality Time
2x Scavenge
1x Stimhack •
3x Sure Gamble

Hardware (8)
2x Astrolabe
3x Clone Chip
1x Plascrete Carapace
2x R&D Interface

Resource (9)
3x Daily Casts
2x Kati Jones
1x Same Old Thing
1x Symmetrical Visage
2x Technical Writer

Icebreaker (5)
2x Cerberus “Lady” H1
1x Faerie •••
1x Gordian Blade
1x Mimic •

Program (8)
1x Clot ••
1x D4v1d ••••
1x Datasucker •
1x Imp •••
1x Parasite ••
3x Self-modifying Code

1 influence spent (max 1)
45 cards (min 45)

Essentially playing this Professor is like playing an 18 influence Shaper with only the obvious Professor drawbacks. Thoughts?

I hate to say it, but the influence seems minor compared to Kate’s ability. It’s not a huge stretch to say “remove Imp/D4V1D and Faerie”.

I tried to build PPVPPPNAPDMWLU and found the same thing :frowning:

This was my take, a bit more of a standard list, but I’m not as much of a fan of Writer in Prof as I am Kate. I doubt Professor is going to destroy the meta or whatever but it’s looking like he’s solidly the second best Shaper.

Incubator is probably going a bit too far and might want to be something else (second CyCy?) but whatever.

It Didn’t Have To Be Like This (45 cards)

The Professor: Keeper of Knowledge

Event (9)
3 Diesel
2 Scavenge
1 Stimhack
3 Sure Gamble

Hardware (5)
2 Astrolabe
3 Clone Chip

Resource (12)
3 Daily Casts
3 Kati Jones
3 Personal Workshop
3 Professional Contacts

Icebreaker (8)
1 Atman
1 Cerberus “Lady” H1
1 Corroder
1 Cyber-Cypher
1 Faerie
1 Femme Fatale
1 Mimic
1 Yog.0

Program (11)
1 Clot
1 D4v1d
1 Datasucker
1 Imp
1 Incubator
1 Medium
1 Nerve Agent
1 Parasite
3 Self-modifying Code

2 Likes

I’m not sure that he’s the 2nd best shaper, but he’s definitely top 3.

Who do you think is the other one?

Chaos Theory stimshop really isn’t bad right now, mostly because it had tonnes of spare influence anyway.

1 Like

I can agree on the Tech Writer dubiousness, I cut the third one to fit in the second Scavenge since that card does so much in this list. What was the reasoning behind 1x Lady and 1x Corroder over just 2x Lady?

I originally had 2x Lady but since you want two Scavenge anyway (Imp, D4V1D, etc) I thought the second Lady doesn’t do as much and @vinegarymink told me to put Corroder in so I thought I’d try that. I guess it might be good against a deck full of Ice Walls and Bakos or something and is a little cheaper to install but I’m not entirely sold on it myself and it could very easily be the second Lady.

2 Likes

Don’t the influence reducers count first, giving you no room for Stimhack?

Minimum of 1 Influence, so the Prof is unchanged.

4 Likes

Sneakdoor is really good. Keyhole is pretty good too, and combos really well with medium. The econ package is, as always, the problem. Kate’s still best. I think one of the astrolabes in Xenasis’ list ought to be an akamatsu. All your utility programs are MU hogs.

2 Likes

I played netruner for so long time and you guys can’t imagine the excitement when I see “Professor is the Top 3 best Shaper”.

Justice.

1 Like

It says far more about how unredeemably awful the others have become than anything about the professor.

7 Likes

The professor is no better than he used to be, in terms of absolute power. The list has no effect on him.

If the professor is now a top 3 shaper, that means all the other shapers are worse than an ID universally panned as a joke.

1 Like

I think we should take a look at the Paid in Cache econ package, ala this deck in NertrunnerDB.

I took out a lot of the super jank programs like Copycat, Grappling Hook, Savoir-faire, and a few others. Put in 3x Technical Writer. Seems to work rather well.

Cached Out Chip Keeper Educating Deviants Using Programs (C.O.C.K.E.D.U.P.)
The Professor: Keeper of Knowledge (Creation and Control)
45 cards (min 45)
1 influence spent (max 1)
Cards up to Data and Destiny

Event (14)
3x Diesel (Core Set)
3x Freelance Coding Contract (Creation and Control)
2x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
3x Quality Time (Humanity’s Shadow)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (6)
2x Akamatsu Mem Chip (Core Set)
1x Astrolabe (Up and Over)
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)

Resource (4)
1x Aesop’s Pawnshop (Core Set)
3x Technical Writer (Data and Destiny)

Icebreaker (8)
1x Cerberus “Lady” H1 (All That Remains)
1x Corroder (Core Set) ••
1x Faerie (Future Proof) •••
1x Faust (The Underway) ••
1x Femme Fatale (Core Set)
1x Gordian Blade (Core Set)
1x Mimic (Core Set)
1x Yog.0 (Core Set)

Program (13)
2x Cache (The Spaces Between) ••
1x D4v1d (The Spaces Between) ••••
1x Datasucker (Core Set)
1x Imp (What Lies Ahead) •••
1x Medium (Core Set) •••
1x Nerve Agent (Cyber Exodus) ••
1x Parasite (Core Set) ••
1x Sahasrara (Creation and Control)
1x Scheherazade (Second Thoughts)
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

This deck probably wants Harbinger

2 Likes

When thinking of builds I wasnt really sure of Cache, since unlike Kate its only 2 creds without the discount, and the amount value you from a Stimhack is insane compared to one extra Cache. Any clue on how good/reliable Coding Contract is? I’ve never used the card.

With as many programs as I have, it often gets me from 0 to 4-10 after a Diesel/QT. It isn’t bad.

@vinegarymink, that seems like a good idea.

Do you mean all the others are awful since MWL or just generally? Do Shapers simply have nothing considered seriously viable except Kate? Or is it that they can viable, but Kate just always does it better?

Just for info I did a quick count on the Tournament winning decklists since SanSan started:

Kate 46
Hayley 7
Rielle 4
Chaos 6
Nasir 1
Exile 1
Professor 0

…eesh. Even pre-MWL that’s pretty bad. If MWL makes loads of them worse still…yuk.

The professor hasn’t got any better, and he was seen as terrible before. If he’s now one of the more viable shapers, that means the rest have got worse than terrible.