Polite Discussion on the Worlds 2014 Metagame

(sorry to derail your e-peen measuring contest)

Crisium Grid is tricky - if you get it online, it makes the game-breaking plays more expensive by about 1 run’s worth… but since the slots for it pretty much have to come from the ICE allotment, it will make those runs less expensive by nature. Also, keeping the CG defense up will eat up a lot of recursion and money, costing you further time and delaying your scoring. That it won’t help you survive the early game goes without saying. In summary, I’m not saying it can’t be done, but it doesn’t strike me as super-solid, a one-stop answer to all of CI’s problems, or anything of that nature.

I will probably play around some with some CG + Grail CI nonsense just to see how it goes, but I suspect it’ll just end up being better in ETF, once again :confused:

(there, all done now, you can go back to your gangsta nonsense)

1 Like

I’m going with myself, @BazooKaJoe, or @grogboxer. Or @SneakySly if he makes it…

3 Likes

Maybe Interns + Crisium Grid?

I mean, two clicks and a card is a bit less to pay to shut down some of the most powerful effects in the game.

5 to trash is pretty pricey, especially if you have to do it more than twice.

And, if you don’t end up using Interns for that purpose, you could always throw out your third piece of ice which has been parasited down back out somewhere…

Seems pretty legit.

Picking the local crew, just like a good Portlandier…

2 Likes

West Coast is Best Coast!

1 Like

It’s Worlds for a reason… So I go for a European. Like centuries ago bringing enlightment to the New World. Considering the discussion you guys need it :wink:

4 Likes

Jesse Vandover is probably my pick to win based on previous results. I haven’t actually played with Jesse though so unsure of skill level. Hard to argue with the regionals/nationals/worlds performance.

Eagerly awaiting to watch the matches even though I won’t be attending, rooting for all of the Portlanders of course :D.

4 Likes

If @mediohxcore brings his kitten, I hope his kitten wins…

2 Likes

I gotta pipe up and disagree on Harmony Medtech!

In particular b/c you mention them while discussing 5/3 agendas, which I think is a huge mistake. focusing on 2 pointers like braintrust, philotic, and (the best) medical breakthrough let you score 6 quickly from un-advanced cards. the 5/3 version is very prone to variance, largely because you hammer “this is a bluff that must be called” or “i’m getting ready to trick of light” into the forehead of the runner every time you leave advanced cards on the table, and rely on FP’s ability to protect in in hand in the meantime.

not to say that build can’t be brutal, or have great games, but the 2-point archetype for that deck is one of the most reliably winning decks I’ve ever played as or against, for the simple fact that it can win almost as fast as TWIY while inspiring good old fashioned Jinteki Fear ™

2 Likes

Jesse and the other parts of the Baltimore Triumvirate (Ben and Niles) are all beasts. Any of them are strong picks.

3 Likes

Dan’s kitten is already world champion. Of our hearts.

7 Likes

Chrissakes… I leave you guys alone in here for a few hours and it’s like Biggie vs. Tupac all over again!

I agree, 3/5s in medtech is janky, simple rushing 2/3s with 3x medical breakthrough is actually very good. Just stack chimera, binary ice, and put 1 susannoo in the deck. Then 2 pad 3 mental health and 3 sweeps, gift and hedge and you’re set to just draw, install, score as fast as possible. Now with Will-o this deck looks very appealing.

This was my preferred build too, but it always got roflstomped by aggressive criminals and shapers, sadly. But that was before Lunar.

1 Like

I still don’t think Medtech is very good. In the past several games my friend and I have played, I’ve gone 4-0 against his Medtech deck with my Stealth Kate deck. He did manage to get close to winning a couple of times, but I always managed to grab a couple of onesies for the win. Maybe it’s his agenda spread or something, because he does have a lot of 3/1 agendas…

Thanks for the vote of confidence, we will see what happens this year, going to be a tough field. And in a game with this much variance, who knows. I just hope to make the cut, and keep up with the consistency streak I have going. Too bad you won’t be there, but I will be rooting for Joe Held right along with you!

6 Likes

I think Faerie rush is actually the strongest archetype for the meta today. Discuss.

Explain what you mean by Faerie rush. I think criminal can be tuned to beat the FA rush decks or the Glacier decks but probably not both. I think PPKate gives you the best across the board match ups but with fewer explosive wins. Noise can be good against anything, or bad against anything depending on his RNG, which is why I’m not a fan.

Chaos theory recurring faeries. Multiaccess hurts NEH, faerie rush gets in cheap and fast. Glacier has a chance if it can stabilize in time, but with the multiaccess packed in, you can win quite fast. I was only 35% trolling with my proposition.
Just an example:

Chaos Theory: Wünderkind (Cyber Exodus) x1

Stimhack (Core) x1
The Maker’s Eye (Core) x3
Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control) x3
Legwork (Honor and Profit) x3
Tinkering (Core) x3
Infiltration (Core) x2
Sure Gamble (Core) x3
Deus X (A Study in Static) x1
Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control) x1

Professional Contacts (Creation and Control) x3

Clone Chip (Creation and Control) x3
Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead) x2
Sacrificial Construct (Core) x3

Corroder (Core) x1
Cyber-Cypher (Creation and Control) x3
Faerie (Future Proof) x2
Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control) x3

They should bring netrunnerdb back just so I don’t have to read the retarded deck Ideas you post here.

8 Likes