Professor: Running in Hard Mode

I was trying to think of a way to do eater professor where you could mess with 3x siphon, 2xescher and indexing and such, eater also kinda would function as a ‘oops’ breaker when you hit something nasty. but decided against it due to the whole at this point you really need to get eater all the time, and code siphon doesnt exactly hurt the corp. even with the 3x test run, 3x smfc. Ive messed with the leprechaun build a lot, but liked the look of memchips better, leprechauns were too gimmicy, but were very pretty if ever you got to the late game and had a djinn tree all lit up with leprechauns and programs. ^.^

I was confused there for a sec :slight_smile:

1 Like

Code Siphon - the only Siphon that matters*!

*when you’re a teacher

1 Like

just played a couple games with this, an experiment with eater + code siphon in professor. not much experience with the prof but i think for my play style this may be the way to go. it is a bit slow, and mopus is click intensive, but the ability to face check everything with impunity is killer. i was going to experiment with qiantu, but i after 2 games i am replacing those with plascrete. you need your clicks for mopus and qiantu can’t save you from punitive or argus sec, two examples. i suppose the deck’s concept is to use eater to fund siphon, first one for mopus, and then do your program toolbox thing. modeled after @PeekaySK 's list. down to a singleton modded, probably better off replacing that with a diesel. this list struggles to draw, at least with me at the helm. also i need to slot a second lady so i can test run the second and not have to rely on scavenge. opted for no nerve agent cause i hate that card, also just realized i don’t have a decoder =)

Hungry Professor

The Professor: Keeper of Knowledge (Creation and Control)

Event (13)

Hardware (9)

Icebreaker (9)

Program (14)

1 influence spent (max 1)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Order and Chaos

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

video of the second game is up on my channel, no audio cause i just wanted to get a recording of this deck

Been having a really great time with this lol-deck.

Not for the feint hearted. But. This is a program suite with a huge amount of synergy between each piece, tutored for like only a green identity can, with an economy engine in Opus that I’ve become a little addicted to. Strong breakers and tonnes of memory. Using Fester for the 1 influence point is a gimme, though I think Stimhack is technically better. Any room for ProCo would be great too.

Noise is my love child

Event (12)

Hardware (9)

Resource (1)

Icebreaker (6)

Program (17)

45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Order and Chaos

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.

Hello fellow Prof players! :slight_smile: I took apart my Silhouette deck recently and am now running with our Keeper of Knowledge. About 6 months ago, I took what was effectively Peekay’s “Vivat Academia” and added a D4v1d to it, and won a store championship. I thought to myself “Sure, it takes a bit of luck of the draw, but when handled with care and good timing, it’s as good and fun as anything else out there.” I believe this is still the case. I wanted to try something (perhaps even more) off the beaten path and really stretch the limits of Professor’s utility.

I figured the Dog breakers were outstanding to serve this purpose, along with Femme and D4v1d. Depending on the flow of the game, both Scavenge and Clone Chips should see a lot of good use. Test Run on MOpus, Dogs and/or Femme, (hopefully) get Leprechauns out early…adapt to whatever the Corp throws at you…and then short of an NBN FA deck having the stars line up perfectly for themselves, you should be able to put a legitimate scare into the Corp player.

Money should be sufficient, burning the 1 available influence point on Day Job, and then relying on MOpus, Gambles and mostly cost efficient breakers to do the rest. I declined to put any resources in here mainly cuz of deck space, and assuming that running 2 Plascretes, I will likely want to float tags. I’d hate to have a Workshop online, Kati with a full palm of credits or ProCon draw power…only to have it snatched away from me cuz I want to bulldoze a Data Raven on 4th click or something silly like that. :stuck_out_tongue:

Astrolabe is here to hopefully let me keep up with NEH or any other sort of shell game shinagegans. It’s also easy memory with little to no downside.

Basically everything else in there is self-explanatory. Anarch multi-access, basic viruses, Sneakdoor for surprise access, and Deus/Sharpshooter for rig protection. Here is the current version…I’m pretty solid on it atm, but I always love feedback!!

It's a Dog eat Corp world out there! · NetrunnerDB

1 Like

With the full magazine of SMC and Clone Chip, I would think Stimhack would be much better than Day Job.

I’m here at the moment, it’s a work in progress, but its feeling very close. Common question is pipeline and I don’t know? I just want the 3rd sentry breaker and something I can pawnshop. Cuj.0 could replace it and it’d be a bit cheaper to use, but I still need to play test it. Otherwise, it’s pretty indicative of aesop economy decks.

The draw is lacking a bit, but the versatility allows you to just hit the weakest spots all of the time. I’ve been enjoying it.

Counting Cards

Event (9)

Hardware (9)

Resource (3)

Icebreaker (9)

Program (15)

45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to All That Remains

Priority 0: Conditionally assault with imp. Can’t say you should do this every game, but sometimes it’s worth it as an opener.
Priority 1: Scheherazde + Aesops + Sahasrara
Priortiy 2: Obtain money & breakers

Everything except femme/levy/gamble costs 4 or less. You shouldn’t even consider putting in a card that costs more than 3 unless it is a card you believe will win you the game. It’s a rig of the moment deck. You play what you have and pick the thing that will hurt the most. Nerve Agent + Sneakdoor is a good move. Femme+Medium tends to win games as well. Sneakdoor + Imp is a great move. And these are the reasons that this is in professor and not exile.

The big thing is not to get attached to any particular line of play if it stops becoming an efficient attack vector. And you shouldn’t use clone chips unless it’s a high value move. There are only 3 of them and no test runs (test runs are expensive and can cause you to lose traction; however, its still a great card so you may try to find some wiggle room (scavenge would be more valuable though)

You’ll spend more time drawing with this deck than others since you need to find certain components. There just isn’t a great way to avoid that.

Tips for set up:
Self Mod for Scheheraze, install anything on it, scavenge that thing into an smc and go find your sahasrara. It’ll make the game entirely different. Alternatively clone chip at this stage is fine too.

Keep a hand with aesops.

A late Scheheraze can be a total pain, but you can throw things away and reinstall on it if you have to. Sahasrara is often enough to at least keep you rolling and 2 of them will let you install most things at a hefty discount.

The basic problems I’ve been having with the Prof are:

1. Maintaining an econ engine
  2. Finding that second tutor - I can usually make plays against the corp with my toolkit, but not big enough ones and not quick enough ones.

For econ, Aesop’s seems to be essential because it’s like a reusable scavenge and you’re going to be reconfiguring the rig.

For finding extra tutors, I think considering Code Siphon over Scavenge might be a good idea, unless you specifically need heap recursion. But you really want some way to incentivise drawing, and ProCon is just too slow. I’m looking forward to the first pack of SanSan, where we get Clot but more importantly there’s that genetics resource that’s like a mini-proco.

Has anyone done more testing with cyberdad post-O&C?

1 Like

Yeah, I have. Been tinkering with what I want to be the final list in my article (no, still haven’t given up on it, just busy at work) - O&C didn’t change all that much for him (besides him having better tools to handle Space ICE than many others), but I suspect he’ll get much better with The Valley: he’s one of the best IDs to utilize Clot in, as it synergizes with all the support infrastructure he wants to be running anyway and he benefits greatly from forcing corps into making plays in remotes.

p.s. Code Siphon over Scavenge is a colossal mistake. Maybe run both, but you totally need at least 2 Scavenges, no matter which build you’re going with.

2 Likes

Counting Cards - Mark II

Event (7)

Hardware (8)

Resource (5)

Icebreaker (9)

Program (16)

45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Valley

You draw a card almost every turn, so symmetrical visage fits right into the deck, getting us up to 5 credits a turn if we manage to install and trash something with aesops pretty often. The general toolbox theme remains. Currently using 25 influence worth of programs, which puts us 10 over the normal shaper making all of our tutors better. But there’s only 1 test run because typically you don’t want more than one of them in a pass through the deck. Don’t get me wrong, I’d make space for #2 if I could cut something, but I can’t.

The trick to playing the deck is to know what your opponent is trying to do and understand where they’re weak. A timely imp or sneakdoor can just turn the game in your favor. A weak R&D and make medium a winner. Throwing away a breaker your opponent thinks you need for 3 cash can make them think they have a scoring window they don’t actually have, all the while you net more credits.

If there’s anything rough, its still the economy, but visage really makes up for this. It’s easily better than profcon if you’re not drawing extremely often and its more likely to actually net you a profit in the game before you get tagged and it goes bye-bye.

Pipeline was just a guaranteed sentry and target for aesops, so I dropped it. Similarly, the gambles (while good burst) were often not needed. The name of the game is pressure.

2 Likes

You’re running Sahasrara and a buttload of viruses - those Memchips should really be a Djinn and Leprechauns.

Also, try keeping track of how much you Levy, but I’m willing to bet that slot would be much better as a third Scavenge.

P.s. No Parasite? Awwwww

Parasite would probably be a good include over the levy; but leprechaun & djinn would be really really bad for the deck. The whole point is to be able to make cash off of scheherazade + aesops. I wouldn’t be able to toss those particular programs away or make money by installing anything on them, at least not beyond the 3 aesops money. Anyhow, i’ve run that variant, and while its good for getting sneakdoor onto the field; there’s no opus or keyhole in this version.

Do you find MU becoming an issue as you play? Thanks for making and sharing this deck, this style is really interesting to play, even if I’m no good at it. :smiley:

You can try going up to five chips if you’re having mu issues, but typically it’s not an issue. You want to be throwing something away almost every turn. For example, I’ve thrown away Corroder on multiple occasions for the econ. I usually had a way to get a fractor on the board though. Be it scavenge, clone chip, or something else. You should just play whatever rig you have.

One thing paricia is a good include if you’re expecting power shutdown or assets. Otherwise, leprechaun with an SMC on the board might be the only argument for leprechaun that make a ton of sense. You can use leprechaun if you want to, is just not a great idea to go all in. If there’s a program you’re never going to trash, then prioritize the leprechaun for those things so that a slot is open on Scheherazade.

I think this deck has a Sharpshooter but no Faerie. Is that right?

You know; that’s an obvious switch that could be made. The math is a little better when you’re going up against an archer/grim with sharpshooter than Faerie, but Sharpshooter is less versatile. I think its a reasonable switch.

I find that I’ll just use Faerie when its easy, but that’s not always the right choice, so sharpshooter just keeps me disciplined in using up my recursion. But, if you’d prefer to have the monster that is faerie in your deck go for it. There’s not much difference on the install cost. Sharpshooter is essentially free in this deck too. So, you’ll only pay 1 to get through an archer (Sahasarara for install, +1 a cred for installing it on Scheherazade, -2 for the break), whereas you’ll be paying 3 credits to use the faerie to break an archer.

That said, you’ll be more at risk with a susano no mikoto if you don’t get a faerie, but you’re not going to be able to recur whatever it is a million times either and datasucker+mimic is usually good enough for changling and the like.

To each their own. I think its totally in the spirit of professor to make that slight tweak.

On the subject of parasite, if you’re not worried about large amounts of net damage, it might be a good include over Deus X as well. Certainly a better solution for Komainu or Tsuguri. But, not as good if you’re going up against Heimdalls and the like.

I am rather excited to use Multithreader and some of Sunny’s breakers in the Professor. Going the distance and requiring Toolbox or Rabbit Holes or Access might be too much, but having an efficient rig for zero memory would leave space for all other kinds of Mischief without Deamon or extra hardware.

I know that Hhoo has been talking about a professor deck and I have had good enough luck with him that I think he deserves some examination.

Post MWL, he has been pretty damn decent to good for me. His MWL immunity makes him able to pull “traditional” Shaper tricks.

The main trick to him lately has been economy, which is challenging, but also not insurmountable. More options exist than ever before to help Professor out and while yes, he will lose between 6-12 credits a game simply by not being Kate, I feel like this can be offset by certain economy cards (like Tech Writer).

How have people been playing him? I have been trying the Aesop’s program cycling build much like Gum’s old “Counting Cards” deck, which has been decent, especially when paired with Proco + Hyperdriver.

I am also tempted to try him out in the modified ProCo build that is being discussed in the Kate forum. Both seem pretty decent to actually good.

2 Likes

I’ve started playing the professor more since the new MWL and Rebirth. I have been playing a toolbox build that uses Freelance Coding Contact, Clone Chip, Scavenge, Hyperdriver and Netchip as notable cards in the build. Ankusa is good against big barriers, Lady is always good, D4v1d and Faust join the island of lost influence, so the good professor still doesn’t care, so they’re in. Keyhole AND Sneakdoor Beta are in there because of that every growing that, with medium and nerve agent as multi access.

I have to say, playing the professor recklessly seems to be the way to go. Focus on a plan and unceasingly pursue that goal till you drop dead or win.

Prof says you either ride with us, or you collide with us. Rebirth FTW obvs

1 Like