Random HQ accesses: Not so Random

Take a 30 sider! It can handle 2, 3, 5, 6, 10 and 15 card hands! Only worry about 4 card hands. And take a d4 for that.

That’s it. I’m packing a d4 and d30.

60 sider is the minimum number of sides to cover 2,3,4, and 5 cards without rerolls. It conveniently covers 6 card hands as well in case anyone still plays TWIY, and conveniently enough, CI is dying with clot so you’re basically covered for all reasonable scenarios.

Unless you play against @Paranoid

Or you can just do what I do: roll 6 like, 50 times in a row. Should quit netrunner and play backgammon.

8 Likes

Someone here mentioned using the binary code of three coins/chits to
determine your access, try that one, has to beat taking your ugly
D10/D12 to a tournament!

flipping 3 coins is the same as rolling a d8. i.e. it will require reflipping coins if your number is higher than or not a multple of 8. 2 coins is the same as a d4. the point of the d10 d12 is that you can roll it once to determine which card to pick.

if your plan is to flip three coins, you’re going to have to reflip all of them ~3 times as often as you’ll have to reroll a d6(for 5 card hands). havnig to reroll a d6 is already annoying.

plus d&d style dice often look a lot cooler than d6s but idunno, maybe you have awesome d6s or coins.

for a legwork v a 5 card hand I roll the d12 and the d10, the d10 is for the first card the d12 is for the second. people are always hella confused. as I typed this I realized I should pack a second, different colour d12 for the third pick.

1 Like

if you read binary well, you can go up to 4 flipped tokens to get 1-16, divide by three for a 5 card hand and you only have to re-roll 1 in 16 times.

if you read binary well, you can go up to 4 flipped tokens to get 1-16,
divide by three for a 5 card hand and you only have to re-roll 1 in 16
times.

I maintain that any system where you have to reroll or reflip is worse than any system where you don’t. also maybe using binary sounds cyberpunky, but in practice throwing your fucking pennys on the table won’t be.

4 Likes

Somebody should make a lil robot that randomly picks and flips over a card on a table. That would be cyberpunky.

3 Likes

Dang you beat me too it. I am d16 for life! with net runner. Works Perfectly, and only 1 die needed for all access and damage!

If you are already keeping track of the game state with d6s like you should be, a d20 can cover 4 and 5 card hands while a d6 takes care of 2 and 3. That seems like the most reasonable thing to do to me if you’re allergic to rerolling.

Don’t spoil my secret regional tech!!

I won’t only because I don’t want to see any 420 sided dice at regionals.

This is much better use of the 5k startup you’re thinking about using for the Stimhack cred tokens.

2 Likes

meh, I cup my hand, shake em up, and kind of throw them down with my cupped hand over them (like rolling dice with a dice cup). they never scatter or roll off the table, and I don’t have to bring multiple D & D dice that I don’t use for anything else. (also, the binary thing is not a theming choice - I just have enough practice converting small binary numbers in my head from work that this was just a quick fix that stuck with me)

what I’ve been doing since I got my pennygems (which are all identical size and shape) is putting tokens in my hand based on their hand size and the number of accesses: virus tokens for accesses and credits for non-access hand size. then i shake 'em up in my hand and lay them down in a row right to left that corresponds to their hand. it sounds more complicated that it is, but it’s great for multi-access and means I never have to re-roll and means I don’t have to bring any dice! (which, again, use whatever dice you want, just saying there are good, random techniques people can use even if you don’t like/have dice. The point is that there’s no excuse not to use a randomization aid.)

Alternatively, try to train yourself to avoid having the same biases as most people. Saves a bit of time, and you get to exploit the people who are trying to mind-game you.

4 Likes

Yeah that’s always been my solution. Forcing certain cards on people only works if they aren’t aware of it, as long as you remind yourself that you’re naturally crap at picking randomly you can be much better and don’t slow the game down with endless ‘yet another 6’ bullshit.

1 Like

Rolled a die to access HQ for the first time last night, scored an Astro. I’m sold.

4 Likes

Only if playing NBN, though. If you want to score a Nesei, you’ve got to do that stupid binary bit thing they were discussing above. It’s another factor in making RP a tough matchup.

6 Likes

the real trouble is trying to pick off Atlases from Blue Sun - afaik you really need to cast the entrails of a male Hare in rut, and compare the results with a variety of astrological charts to determine where the agenda is. This is the main reason Blue sun has made Weyland viable again.

4 Likes

Eeny meeny miny moe new meta

1 Like

I considered a 60-sider, but it can’t be used as a stealth weapon by leaving it under someone’s chair…

Also, while I have a 30 sider, I don’t have a 60 sider.

In my meta, it’s a female rat in heat. Interesting.

1 Like