Red Sand Cycle: We're finally going to Mars!

no it works FOREVER

your grandkids will play games with your failed BRE traces :frowning:

21 Likes

IAA Next Wave
AA Defective Branchips score
2 handsize out of CD

3 Likes

No, you’re right. Why should we expect cards to be vetted before being released? /shrug

4 Likes

Does SYNC BRE prevent the accessing of a 1 card remote server? If so, that’s a pretty good card.

Mad Dash: Really strong. Would be really fun to bait a runner using this into a Junebug and have his own card kill him though. :smiley:

Signal Jamming: Now that this exists could we please take Clone Chip off the MWL? This prevents instant parasites. Also nasty against Shapers face checking with Self Mod.

Network Exchange: Not sure we needed more anti-glacier tech right now?

Pushing the Envelope: I like this one. Fits in with the core Anarch concept of taking dangerous risks. Might be fun with an Emptied Mind

Maw: Maybe useful against some of those IG decks? You’ll always have unprotected targets to touch.

Spot the Prey: I don’t know if this will see much play. Infiltration lets you expose a card for free, and I don’t think that spending 2 credits to make a run is that helpful?

Bio-Modeled Network: Nice against the new Obokata Protocol for sure, and Snare!s, useless against Komainus or Hostile Instrastructures or Bio-Ethics Associations which are the ones I’m more worried about in general.

NEXT Wave 2: I like this one a lot in a Cybernetics Division deck, which I think has a lot of potential in a post-Sifr meta

Defense Construct: I like that they’re making different post-Jackson agenda flood solutions for the different factions. This seems a bit expensive, but it also sends the cards to hand instead of R&D. And, if I am not mistaken, like Allele Repression you can use this to recur itself.

Net Analytics: At least it has a low trash cost.

Sync BRE: If the interpretation above is right, this card is stupid broken. But I’m pretty sure it only applies to the current run. Even there it’s strong–a 4 rez 6 str Sentry is nothing to sneeze at, and getting to protect any single card remote isn’t bad–almost as good as an End The Run

Quarantine System: This is really cool, especially out of Jemison Astronautics. Forfeit that Oaktown Renovation, rez 3 pieces of ice saving 4 credits on each, and, if Jemison, put 3 advancement tokens on a card.

Khondi Plaza: Conditionally useful–if you’re building an asset spam deck with lots of expensive ice for the centrals, perhaps?

Defense Construct would get trashed to Archives faceup, so it can’t add itself to HQ.

2 Likes

…or maybe/probably it won’t be good as preventing the damage also prevents the steal.

1 Like

Defense construct is also the first advanceable upgrade for what it’s worth. Not sure what that means, but it could be something somewhen down the line.

Really dig signal jamming and NEXT wave 2. Does it signal a second wave of actual ICE do we think, or just the agenda? If not, then it’ll probably struggle post rotation.

2 Likes

i didn’t even notice that restriction. this card is so bad

Ohhh, I did not see the facedown restriction. Lame! That makes this card significantly less interesting. I was thinking that even if you didn’t have any agendas in archives you could at least recur your spent advertising campaigns.

Which, I guess, would make the political assets even harder to keep down, so probably better that it doesn’t work that way after all.

Hmm. Are we sure about that? The FAQ reads:

Prevent/Avoid Effects
Prevent/Avoid effects take priority over conditional abilities that would trigger from whatever is being prevented or avoided, except when a conditional ability uses the word “additional.” An “additional” conditional ability occurs simultaneously with the trigger condition and can be prevented/avoided along with the trigger condition.

If Bio-Modeled Network prevented all the net damage, then it’d be an open and shut case. But since it lets that one damage through, does that mean that the additional cost qualifies as being paid?

It’s not a great argument, I’ll admit, but it seems like Bio-Modeled Network is intended to be a counter for Obokata Protocol and I’m wondering if it’s just not worded well.

What makes you say that?

it seems you’re working on the assumption that if you prevent all of the net damage from Obokata, you can’t steal it, but if you prevent only some of the net damage, it’s different.

but if you prevent any of the net damage, you still haven’t suffered 4 net damage, so preventing any amount or all of the net damage (unless any = 0) is no different

2 Likes

My mostly-complainy gut reactions:

Mad Dash: This is an interesting idea. It seems like it’s going to sit in your grip more often than not, though.

Signal Jamming: This would have been phenomenal from the release of C&C through the first MWL. It’s still got its uses, but in a world where Shapers are underplayed and CC/Parasite isn’t running rampant, I’m not sure it’s worth the slot.

Network Exchange: It is really weird to me that this is out of Shaper. This is an interesting effect, though. Might find some play if Mopus/Vamp decks make a comeback? Or maybe Reina decks (lol) are spending influence on this to pair with Xanadu?

Pushing the Envelope: I kind of love this card, but I don’t really know what kind of deck it fits into.

Maw: Cool. Probably overcosted, but cool.

Spot the Prey: Definitely overcosted, but interesting. Also, have I mentioned lately how much many of Damon’s card names annoy me?

Bio-Modeled Network: I guess this is the (bad) replacement for Deus X. Probably necessary to have something like this in the pool. Mostly useless against the current net damage flavors, but good to have around in case something spikier comes back into vogue.

NEXT Wave 2: Cool idea to give NEXT some heft. At a 4/2, though, this is headed for binder fodder/janktown. If they had waited until rotation kicked in, I think this easily could have been printed as a 3/2 (I understand not wanting HB to have access to 3 sets of 3/2s at a time, though).

Defense Construct: Garbage. You’d think the designers would have learned by now (after all the stumbles on advanceable ice) that advancement counters are a precious resource. Reverse the rez/trash cost and it’s still pretty awful, but at least it might find some space in strange new twists on IG or CI or something. As it is, though: just hot garbage, even in a post-Jackson world.

Net Analytics: More garbage. It costs a lot to force a tag onto the runner (with good reason, considering it opens up insta-kills and Closed Accounts and…), and drawing a card is poor compensation. If you’re slotting this with the expectation that it’s going to fire on a regular basis, you are planning on losing.

SYNC BRE: I understand the rules confusion, but there’s no way this lasts until end of game. This is an interesting option for a beefier Sentry, but outside of Making News (time for a comeback!) that second trace looks a bit anemic.

Quarantine System: Uh, what? I guess this would be an interesting answer to Blackmail/DDoS style shenanigans if EBC didn’t already exist. The best case is you forfeit a 2/1 – you still spent 3 clicks and 2 credits installing and advancing that agenda, and now you get a refund of 3 credits, so… yay? Edit: forgot about the new Weyland ID. So this sets up an interesting way to more consistently FA out bigger agendas by saccing smaller ones. It’s a bit combo-wombo-ey and you’re mostly treading water as far as agenda points go – but this could let you actually make use of the more powerful 5/3 abilities. Interesting.

Khondi Plaza: Not bad, but this reads to me like an overcorrection for Mumbai Temple – rez cost could probably be lower and it doesn’t need the unique restriction.

1 Like

Mad Dash finally nerfs the overpowered strategy of scoring agendas across 2 turns in remote servers without caprice.

13 Likes

I’m not saying we shouldn’t expect it, I’m just saying a lot of the time they aren’t =P

1 Like

[quote=“strundle, post:295, topic:8189”]
Net Analytics: More garbage. It costs a lot to force a tag onto the runner (with good reason, considering it opens up insta-kills and Closed Accounts and…), and drawing a card is poor compensation. If you’re slotting this with the expectation that it’s going to fire on a regular basis, you are planning on losing.[/quote]i think you misread this card. it draws you a card when the runner avoids or removes tags, not when they receive them.

but regardless. just because installing this with the expectation that you’ll draw a lot of cards is bad doesn’t mean the card is bad.

it discourages the runner removing tags. if they’re removing tags with this out, they’re slowing down while you go faster, and lets you draw up whenever Aaron removes a tag and draws. it also counters tag avoidance cards like NACH, Jesminder (as if she needed a nerf), On the Lam, Forger, etc.

honestly, this and Mad Dash are probably the best cards in the pack. this is another great way to leverage tag flurry decks that don’t just pile on a million tags with Midseasons

You are correct, sir. I thought it was “avoids or prevents,” since those two usually go together. My bad.

Revised opinion: this is good, probably not great, in CtM and some SYNC variants. If it’s firing less than once a turn, you’re probably better off with DBS. Having it fire much more than that (e.g after HHN) in a single turn might be a bit of a double edged sword after Jackson rotates (until then, it’s mostly gravy).

I’m really not seeing Mad Dash - sell me on it? In a glacier-y meta I think it would be okay if not great (it has a “win more” problem - compare slotting this with, say, stimhack or inside job). In the current meta - and the direction it seems to be headed for the foreseeable future (at least wrt to glacier) - I mostly agree with @Lttlefoot 's comment above.

That is a really good point. I guess you can install it with a snare and bait a run with a nasty surprise at the end. Too bad you can only use the ability on an archives run, I like the design space of advanceable non trap cards like Thomas haas, but their abilities are just too weak.

If it’s part of a cycle of advanceable upgrades (which would be cool), then it could also gain some bluff value if some of the others are either defensive or function as traps. Still don’t see why it has a rez cost of 2 though.

3 Likes