Regionals 2015

At least it would be something different! I remember the Steve Horvath interview from Worlds, and now he noted that they had the prize support for 2015 all mapped out. Well, if this is a foreshadow of what to expect, I’m feeling like MaxX in Day Job. I’m guessing FFG uses Same Old Thing as a motivational poster/motto.

Oh, where are the days of fun surprises like Plugged In dropping out of the blue? Call me an idiot, an asshole, an ingrate, or even a troll, but this regional announcement makes me sad. 3 per region? Cool, that’s nice for those areas deprived. However, I see little reason to attend multiples, outside of the love of competition, and seeing some of you sad sacks in the meatspace.

I played ANR and Conquest with @aandries for 9+ hours the other day, and had more fun and challenge than most tourneys. Maybe that’s FFG’s goal, pushes us to play more casually. On the plus side, always fun to have someone approach you in a Starbux and ask if you’re playing Netrunner.

4 Likes

This is just another example that FFG are not that great… We’ve had more issues before.

1 Like

At first I was very, very against the prize package of this year’s regionals but then I looked more closely at that alt art Reina and it doesn’t really look that awful - the head is big because of the perspective - we are looking at her from above. And yeah, the credits might not be super-duper awesome but you know what? Do you really go to championships just ONLY or MAINLY for the prize? Did Dan win the Worlds because he knew he’d get a playmat and a bag? Come on, guys, if you want to fight for the prizes, you can always play Magic where the prizes are worth something. Netrunner stuff holds more of a sentimental than a materialistic value.
P.S. We have lots of Anarch because of the big box, I’d guess.

9 Likes

More regionals is nice, I wonder if it will have any effect on Europe. The credit tokens are interesting, primarily saying that as someone who owns 3 packs of the old credit tokens. They might jump up in price like hell :smiley:

I will say that most of their stuff looks hella ugly when it’s first shown but looks way better in person. That said, I still think these prizes are hideous.

1 Like

Of course I don’t go for the prizes. Would be nice if they were cool and useable. Just disappointing, is all.

Also, I realize it’s a business, but, instead of using OP as a marketing arm, they also make money off of it (they sell this kit for $120-150USD, IIRC), which is cool. I just don’t believe there’s anything close to that value there. Luckily, my local store supplements the FFG prize kits with store cred, based on attendance.

Also, enough about going to play MtG or HS. We know those exist, but that shark tank is too much of a time sink, and isn’t as fun. Lame argument. If I really wanted to make money, I’d get a divorce, move to Vegas, try poker, and get a drug addiction.

13 Likes

I feel a bit dissaponited about the price support. There are so many mats already and promo IDs are my least favorite.

I think Regionals/Nationals kits are more product to sell for FFG. Organized play support is additional bonus. Selling Regionals kit for about 150$ must be a good profit. I feel FFG is a bit wrong company if people would want to see global rankings, judge programs and better organized play support.

1 Like

I love me some promo IDs. Reina is one of my favorites flavor wise, I just hope the ID looks better in person.

Guess we will see what this year has in store for ANR. I am hoping that when they do roll out their judge program, something about OP changes, but I also don’t want to see the game go the same direction as MtG or Hearthstone… kinda like Spags said.

1 Like

Even though the prizes may look disappointing to me as a player, I will say this as a tournament and league organizer: getting regular supply of GNKs with bling is a boon to running a local league and keeping players interested. Compared to the situation with VTES, I love what FFG’s doing here.

Can they do better? Sure
Is this okayish for now? I’m not complaining, and would rather have this than nothing at all.

(also keep in mind that an LCG is nowhere near the cash cow a TCG is, in terms of sheer volume of product moved)

7 Likes

You know what guys? If you don’t like the prizes, I’d be more than happy to take them off your hands for cut-rate prices. I quite like the art on the Reina and the playmat :stuck_out_tongue: And Acrylic credit tokens are really really sweet.

Sold. 10chars

1 Like

Agreed. Definitely not in it for the prizes, but would definitely like to see awesome prizes for organized play to support the game and the scene.

2 Likes

I liked the Winter Prize Kits but yeah, it’s always been hit or miss, and too often on the miss.

1 Like

For me, the prize support (meh) is much less important than the fact that there are going to be more regionals. In the UK, I think this is very, very good news.

1 Like

FFG should roll the red carpet for us. A lack of invigorating prize support is cheap and brainless on their part. Granted it’s not the only (or main reason) I play tournaments, but the simple fact is, we are their customers. The amount of growth and revenue the A:NR players pull for FFG justifies them spending money on us. They just refuse or don’t know any better. If they don’t change the philosophical approach in how they see their customers (players), I believe it will end up costing them more than they might ever realize.

FWIW, this is still mainly an aftertaste from worlds, but this prize pack doesn’t make me feel any more optimistic.

6 Likes

I think it’s sad that the tokens in the season 1 kit look better than these. Also the alt art crypsis/melanges are much nicer than the promos in this.

I would actually rather have them reprint the season 1 set then hand these out. I’m going anyway, but they can do better.

2 Likes

I still can’t believe how little official merch there is, but heyyyyyy :).

2 Likes

Was Season 1 the click trackers? If so, you’ve just helped me work out where on earth I got those click trackers from.

I was talking about the orange and green acrylic credit tokens, not sure about the click trackers

1 Like

I wasn’t around for season 1 but any time I play against someone who uses the orange and green credits I find it impossible to tell at a glance which ones are the 5s. Team covenant got the tokens right.

2 Likes