Regionals 2015

huh, that’s odd, the green ones are a good deal bigger, thought that made it pretty clear. I agree that covenant does the best, but I’ve never had that issue.

I like the way the prize support is done, gives the game a little collectible stuff, and keeps the emphases on fun rather then pwoning it up for that cash prize.

Instead of just crying about bad prize support , make suggestions to the organized play guys at FFG!

2 Likes

Tell me more! Any idea where and how many?

We have.

Hey, we DO have those sleeves now!

I still have the neon green acrylic cred tokens some dude made when the game came out. Got 5 5s and 25 1s for $10 or $15. They look JUST like the cred symbol. Sadly, those are WAY better than these.

6 Likes

What type of other prizes did you/others suggest to FFG?

What’d they say in response?

I do agree that I wish the prizes were better, buI’m not sure what else I would want. I used to get so excited about game night kits at first but now its like oh I dont like that art/playmat discussion. Maybe the same prizes over and over makes it stale? I love seeing new alt art, I think they could do more of those as a start. I’m a sucker for promos.

1 Like

The click trackers were from “Regionals” 2 years ago (basically Store Championships before SC’s existed).

1 Like

I’m sorry… the alt arts are just getting worse and worse. I actually want people to look at these things and go “Oh ma, that’s so awesome! What is that?” and not “Ugh, what the hell is that supposed to be?” (I’m looking at you, Pop-up Window…)

MY problem with the Reina isn’t the perspective or whatever. I like artsy stuff just fine… for example, I think the alt Kati Jones is cool, even though she’s barely noticeable. It gives off the vibe that there are other things going on in the big city than just what your individual Runner is up to.

This Reina is just mannish. I mean, instead of this:

We get this

Christ , I feel like if I ran into that Reina on a train, she’d ask me to swap murders with her…

They really need to tighten up and stop trying to use every single piece of art that comes in their door.

Datapack subscriptions.

Flights, hotels, or paid entry for future tournaments

More unique alt-arts, (maybe give out a different one to each region or something so the door prizes aren’t totally worthless).

A program to encourage stores to give out more store credit or something.

Generally more shit.

5 Likes

Not to be a dick and crap all over your thinly-veiled excuse to post two completely irrelevant huge-ass photos, but… you do realize she’s actually an ex-soldier, cybernetically enhanced for durability, unkillability and general bad-assery, right?

I suppose military and black-ops outfits could start handing out nose- and boob-jobs in the future, kinda hard to see it outside of a Bond-esque, undercover smooth operator though.

Sorry if I’m coming off as overly aggressive, but this line of reasoning just seriously pisses me off - one of the things I love about Netrunner is that stuff isn’t hyper-sexualized… and reading complaints about how a cyber-soldier isn’t pretty enough is just ridiculous to me. Don’t even get me started on how I tried to create a non-beautiful, somewhat corpulent female character in Guild Wars 2 for, like, two hours.

30 Likes

Not sure if you’re aware, but “tranny” is considered an offensive slur by many in the transgender community – there are a number of transgender players who already struggle to find acceptance in the Netrunner community, and throwing around terms like this can only further drive them away.

Also, as @PeekaySK mentioned, it doesn’t make sense to portray an ex-soldier/terrorist as this lithe and maybe fragile figure. She’s not here to be lusted after; she’s a master strategist looking to tear shit down. And I haven’t seen much gender-bending in many other games, so I appreciate that FFG actively seeks to provide unique figures with its character design (see Quetzal).

19 Likes

I don’t know what exactly your freaking beef is with me, Peekay. I have just as much of a right to be here as you do. I’m not impressed or intimidated by your “Author” tag.

Not a thinly-veiled excuse, and not irrelevant. That alt-art of her looks exactly like Robert Walker from Strangers on a Train… Okay maybe I should have resized the pic, but you see what I mean, right?

I never said she had to be drop-dead gorgeous either. You implied that I said that. I have no problem with a tough female character that isn’t supermodel-gorgeous. Besides, if they didn’t want her to be “pretty” , they shouldn’t have made her attractive in every other picture they drew of her.

Have you looked at her ID card? She looks pretty attractive and lithe to me… Not fragile by any means, but still rather attractive for a tweaked-out super-soldier. Don’t blame me, blame the FFG Art Department.

Look, I’m not trying to piss anyone off or become the next Kroen. I’m not trying to offend anyone. My primary point is that Reina is off-model as hell. It doesn’t look anything like any other representation of Reina that exists in the game, especially in the facial area.

Damar, card game playing communities don’t exactly have a great name when it comes to sexism. FFG, and maybe (hopefully) their players try to change that. I don’t think it’s just peekay who becomes really twitchy when the subject is nearing that.

And lets be honest, given the history of such communities, given that we are all a bunch of somewhat nerdy guys, maybe it pays to be a little careful in such situations. Show that we, as a community, really mean it?

11 Likes

Don’t say sexist or transphobic shit please. It makes many people uncomfortable and drags the discussion away from giving me more prizes.

36 Likes

I feel like I always have to be the first person to call someone out on this shit. I’m relieved to see that that’s not the case at Stimhack.

2 Likes

I apologize for derailing the conversation. The issue at hand is, indeed, the level of swag that Mediohxcore is entitled to… :smiley:

4 Likes

They just started selling ANR sleeves. Why not print some alt-art promo sleeves to go along with Regionals? It’s not hard to come up with something better than 16 credit tokens. Honestly, those are pretty much worthless.

2 Likes

Hey, don’t hate at Pop-up! :smiley: You might consider it kinda irrelevant cuz we live in the same country but anyways - the artist is so great. She is one of the few artists in this game that make card art that really suits the game - very futuristic, holographic, techno stuff. She made Pawn, all of the Cerberuses (Cerberie?), Pup, Komainu… you can’t really say that they are plain crap. I’m thinking that, judging by the style, she might’ve made the alt art Reina too.

If you really can’t understand what it is here’s a larger and better image http://liiga.deviantart.com/art/Android-Netrunner-Pop-Up-Window-Alt-Art-499458112?q=gallery%3Aliiga&qo=0

2 Likes

I just wish they wouldn’t always use playmats as prizes, I play a couple LCG’s and after a dew years I have a mountain of playmats just sitting in my game room.
I think making high quality deck boxes as prizes would be cool, not the cardboard boxes but something more like what ultra-pro makes. Another idea is a really cool click tracker, a few years ago the prize for winning a Star Wars LCG regional was a really awesome metal coin that replaces the balance of the force token, if they can make something that cool and high quality they could probably make a really awesome click tracker that isn’t just acrylic tokens.

I never expect FFG to actually give “cash” prizes like travel vouchers, but it would be awesome if regional winners for LCG’s did get stuff that would actually help them attend nationals.

2 Likes

I’m like 3/4 on this. Vegas here I come!

VTES was mismanaged on every level. LSJ made sure of that. I think I got prize support in the form of a bag once. Once. Oh yeah and one time they had custom counters. Once.

The one thing I liked that they did do and FFG doesn’t is custom tournaments, like the Lambach Story Line event. They would tell you ahead of time what the story line was and you could prepare decks with certain restrictions to interact with the “story line” that was happening. For example, the Lambach Story advised you to build using a certain clan of vampires and you could add in the promotional cards as soon as you got them and play with them that day.

The promo cards were not great (Advanced Lambach and Legion) but it made for an interesting challenge before even showing up. At the end of the story they would tally up placements and tournament wins and do something special for the clans that were most represented. I know one card was called Baltimore Purge and it was a ton of fun, and it was the result of specific events at a specific story line tournament.

This could be implemented into Netrunner with the factions, and do special story line stuff or come out with alternate abilities for existing runners for “special” tournaments.

4 Likes

Oh, I like Liiga’s art for the most part, and I get the “fractal jack-in-the-box” vibe of Pop-up…

It just hurts my brain to look at it! LOL