Runaround - The Adam Thread

Just wanted to pop in and say I’ve been having a blast using Demolition Run in Adam. Sure, it doesn’t get around Neutralize All Threats (…unless you’re broke…), but it’s very satisfying to Demo Neural EMPs and Komainus out of Jinteki’s HQ. Since Adam has built-in HQ multi-access, it feels like a good pressure card to leverage that. Assuming you’ve got a few influence to spare, that is. And given how susceptible he can be to SEA Source or Midseason in the early game, it feels like a card that might help protect against fiery death.

1 Like

True, but I do think that the MWL butchershop nerfage has made him a significantly more appealing runner. If you have to worry less about a second/third turn scorch it opens up a lot of decision’s that seemed appalling previously. I do like that when my opponent lays down a NBN identity I can feel much more risky and aggro than I did before with him.

For those wondering, with MWL drops clone chip is pretty much out of the market, leaving Levy and temp resource strategies looking a bit better. Currently trying Prey with cheap installables / temp items and aesops to see if it will give an edge to all the resistor / roto stuff people seem to be running out of NBN.

I’ll have a list later tonight after local testing at game night.

That’s funny, a bunch of people in my meta have been talking about various ways to use Demo Run. (My favorite weird use is in Gabe, where you can use it to nuke Crisium Grids.) I could see trying it out with The Turning Wheel, and just blowing up an entire hand when you have a few counters. I don’t think the Butcher matchup is a good reason to run it, though. With Handsize boosters I rarely feel the need to run additional pressure, if I’m playing carefully. Turns out a handsize of 12 is good insurance against triple scorch.

Its time to go fast I believe. faust and drug dealer are the fallbacks we need, atman dealing with your preferred common number ice or to ensure you can break a random archangel in your RnD digs.

also, with my playtesting and everyone investing into common yellow decks and leveraging news team, data dealer as a 1 of is tech slot that might be worth. if we go through the deck quick enough, it will be a reasonable answer, and also allows you to surge should you need to for a big install or something.

Event (8)
3x Dirty Laundry
1x Independent Thinking
1x Levy AR Lab Access •••
3x Sure Gamble

Hardware (5)
3x Brain Chip
2x R&D Interface ••••

Resource (24)
3x Armitage Codebusting
3x Daily Casts
1x Data Dealer ••
3x Dr. Lovegood
3x Drug Dealer •••
2x Kati Jones
3x Public Sympathy
3x Same Old Thing
3x Street Peddler •••

Icebreaker (5)
1x Atman •••
2x Faust ••••
1x Inti •
1x ZU.13 Key Master ••

Program (3)
3x Multithreader

25 influence spent (max 25)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Data and Destiny

• 3x SoT seems like a huge waste when you have no power events. If it’s just for LARLA, PPVP Kate got by with just the one.

• Peddler also seems a bit iffy when your rig isn’t very redundant. Maybe consider some combination of Special Order, SMC or Datasuckers?

• My gut says that TME is better than RDI with Faust, specifically because Faust gives you less runs over all. Add in deck recursion, and it’s more than enough.

the SoT is mostly there for card slots in addition to being able to recur dirty laundry if absolutely necessary (in addition to larla). Can replace RDI with makers if you want, with peddlers though I have seen it go under too many times, but I will try with 1 of each and see.

SMC is frankly too expensive influence wise to run a full rig, and with clone chips being the same influence its not viable anymore to run a combination of the two and have any breaker alongside faust / overmind. Cutting peddlers only gives us 1 special order. cutting both the peddlers and a drug dealer to include 2 specials reduces our speed considerably against faster decks.

I’m taking the plunge into Adam. Pretty excited to play something other than Anarch.

http://imgur.com/1iFm1Jp

first game went okay

5 Likes

I am on team Adam for sure. He and Sunny at least stand a chance of being decent to good.

What are you rocking in Adam?

Here’s the list I whipped together tonight. Went 3-0 on JNET (Foodcoats/Medtech/Gagarin). Not saying this incredibly small sample size means anything. He is a lot of fun so far.

http://netrunnerdb.com/en/deck/view/552120

I got 6 quick points against Gagarin and then she stabilized and overwhelmed me with assets. Sitting on 30 creds in the mid-game she SEA’s me then trashes Always Be Running, which I had been using to RND lock with E3 through a Hadrian on RND. She scrabbles an agenda, then makes HQ painful with a 7-sub Tour Guide. Managed to scrape it out in the end, after Levy’ing. Gotta remember that SEA play moving forward. Losing ABR set me back like 10-20 turns.

So far Sucker seems really good in Adam. I should probably play another Sucker over Scrubber. Second Kraken over second Traffic Jam seems reasonable, too. If you get an early Kraken Adam seems like he can snowball pretty hard.

1 Like

Adam runs Faust better than most, but damn if it doesn’t hurt my heart to not make use of Multithreader.

Seems like a bit of an anti-synergy with E3 and Drug Dealer, given the first click run requirement. I’d look at The Source, because it’s pretty good with DLG, and it is a nightmare short of a FA’ed BN. I tested kracken too, and it was surprisingly useful, especially just to fill the 45.

I suspect you’ll find traffic jam a bit useless, but I only tested pre-MWL

Current list w/ adam (hi @moistloaf and welcome to the fold).

would recommend a code breaker over scrubbs as getting past turing is a biiiiitch relying on just faust / ABR.

kraken is clutch include.

1 Like

Anyone trying to get Panchatantra and disposeable programs with haymaker events to work? I’m caving on gingerbread as a “primary” breaker with Adam, trying to see if sharpshooter, deus, and other utility programs with Panchatantra can back up ABR enough to land haymakers to rush a win. Having trouble shaking out the inf and draw…

1 Like

I ran Faust in Adam for a long time, and while I found it to be pretty successful I think Overmind squeaks passed as just a bit better. Let’s compare what tools Adam has built in to support one vs the other:

Faust:
+Brain Chip for increased hand size, allowing Adam to hold onto cards for a big run easier
+Safety First for sustained draw power
+Independent Thinking for a surprise hail mary run

Overmind:
+Brain Chip for increased MU
+Multithreaders for sustained economy

On paper, it looks like Faust has the slight edge - it has sustained support, with also having Hail Mary opportunities! Obviously Faust is better, right? Well, saying that really undersells just how much sustained econ Multithreaders can provide - much more than Safety First. But, to get Multithreaders online, we need a big up-front cost and install time, right? That’s true, but Adam has enough early game strength with his three directives alone that you can devote the early game to getting this lategame build established, so the initial setup doesn’t weaken Adam.

Let’s look at out-of-faction cards. After all, Drug Dealer can support Faust just as strongly as Multithreaders support Overmind! So that covers Faust’s shortfalling, doesn’t it? Well, we also have an out-of-faction card that makes up for Overmind’s lack of burst hail mary runs - Stimhack. However, Stimhack has a big advantage over Independent Thinking - it preserves your installed cards. IT is more of a one-shot hail mary: when you use it, you’ll be on the back foot for the rest of the game. Stimhack’s brain damage is barely even a drawback when you have Brain Chip pumping up your hand size.

Of course, Overmind has the problem of being temporary, but with careful choice of running targets I think that this is totally manageable. Especially if you can get an agenda + Brain Chip before your first Overmind drops.

tl;dr: Overmind has better support in-faction compared to Faust, and better tools out-of-faction to make up for its weaknesses compared to Faust.

2 Likes

But Faust is better than Overmind in most situations anyway…

In a vacuum, yes. But I think that in the context of Adam, Overmind just barely squeaks by as the better breaker. One thing I didn’t mention was the influence costs - Safety First+ Independent Thinking isn’t enough draw power on its own to support Faust, so you need to import other cards to help you out. Stuff like Drug Dealer, Diesel, Datasuckers, Levy, etc. You save a lot of influence by switching to Overmind, since Multithreaders are all the support it needs. You can then use the spare influence on more general-use tools like D4v1d, Film Critic, recursion, etc. You also can use some of the card draw slots saved on more economy, giving you more money in general to use for trashing stuff and beating traces (so you don’t get blown up before you get rolling). Multithreaders mostly pay for Overmind, so the extra econ is mostly just credits in your pocket.

Really, they’re very close in terms of power, so it’s more up to your personal preference I think. I’ve just found that, in my personal testing of Adam, Overmind generally winds up being the better choice.

I love Overmind in Adam as a backup, don’t get me wrong. I’ll probably never play a list without 2 of them. However, it has issues in that it puts even more pressure on you to score early, and gets worse with every support piece you install before it. Faust requires less support, costs less in the face of Adam’s thin economy, and doesn’t play into his weaknesses. In fact, it does a great job of covering his worst cast scenarios, as he does its.

2 Likes

this is pretty much how i feel about it, but i run three so that i can get one down as early as possible, and i don’t think scoring early is necessarily necessary for that first Overmind to be effective. a 3-counter Overmind along with Always Be Running is a nice threat to camp remotes early on

i like Faust as my backup, actually, since i don’t find myself having many cards to pitch early game (and usually don’t want to throw anything away until i’m sure i won’t need it) and gets a lot better as your handsize becomes more manageable. then again, i’ve seen the light and have been running more Public Sympathies so i can get my handsize up earlier and turn on Safety First

Sup guys - finally decided to add into the conversation here ( reading 679 post to catch up is a time burglar)
I tried a bunch of Adam variants but I been playing and working this stealth version and been liking where it’s been taking me so far

I did a big write up in the description on netrunnerdb so i wont hog space here with a cut and paste

love to have some thoughts on a different style of Adam build
Sneaky Adam

Adam: Compulsive Hacker

Event (10)
3x Dirty Laundry
1x Employee Strike •
1x Independent Thinking
2x Special Order ••••
3x Sure Gamble

Hardware (5)
3x Brain Chip
1x Lockpick •••