SanSan Cycle Spoilers

But they are fodder to be traded away.

1 Like

This makes me a little sad. Makes 5/3-based strategies even more of a varience game.

7 Likes

So. looking it over, we know all but three cards from Chrome City, now. The Anarch Cybernetic remains a mystery, and both Shaper and HB have one card left (HB’s is noted as Ice on FiF, but I don’t know for sure where that information came from). HB’s might be the Bioroid Archer, but that looks like it’s coming in Old Hollywood, going by the box art, so… yeah.

Not a lot left to know, and I’m pretty darn excited for it to come. A few duds, but I quite like the majority of it.

EDIT: Relatedly, we’ve got…

8 mystery cards from Underway, 9 from Old Hollywood, and 11 from Universe of Tomorrow (though we probably know the names of three of those).

Wow that console is insanely good. Are we’re sure it’s accurate, it’s seems a smidge overpowered.

I just hope the next cycle has some decent criminal cards, they are really starting to fall behind especially in the breaker department. Both anarch and shaper can build decks without influencing in breakers from out of faction, while criminals are still heavily reliant on outside faction breakers.

Noise’s console is the well-designed agenda hate card we should have seen to begin with.

Only question is whether it’s overpowered, as it certainly hoses 5/3s. I hope it actually says “worth the same number of points”, otherwise I’ll just be more convinced that FFG still doesn’t understand the role that 5/3s play in glacier decks. If it costs a zillion influence to play, that would probably be fine too.

5 Likes

The spoiler says 2 inf…

And the console does almost nothing against glacier decks with 7x3 pointers.

My only problem is that corp is forced to take a certain amount of agendas so they build their strategy around them. If they can’t even count on the agendas they have scored, what can they count on?

I’ll have to wait and see the card when it hits, but from this rumor it seems powerful. Maybe not broken but very powerful.

1 Like

Shapers have no reasonable in-faction answer to non-AP/destroyer sentries (you know, like Architect, Gutenberg, Susanoo, etc).

I agree that anarchs are the most self-sufficinet faction right now. They have a very good breaker suite in faction (Corroder, Yog, Mimic) plus ways to deal with bigger ICE (Datasucker, Ice Carver, Knight, David, Morning Star, Eater+cutlery). They also have recursion (Deja Vu), economy (Day Job, Liberated), draw (Vigil, IHW, Inject), denial (Imp, Scrubber, Vamp, Xanadu). Oh, and pressure to all servers (Remote: Singularity; HQ: Nerve Agent, Wanton; R&D: Medium, Keyhole. Archives is a given).

Criminals, on the other hand, excel only on sentries when it comes to breaking ICE.

DinoPipeline ;).

It would seem overly narrow in that case and probably wouldn’t see play over Grimoire/Vigil. I doubt it does. It’s a powerful console, which seems good to me. I’m tired of niche consoles!

1 Like

Forget this, you’ll never score these. You’ll add them as agendas to your score area. :wink:
Those don’t trigger Leela or PE aswell.

Nice with Leela I’d say. Not better than Desperado but…

1 Like

Ah I was taking it in as ‘when you score an agenda, swap an agenda from your score area with one from the corp’s score area’ not registering it had to be the agenda you’re scoring. Welp, console is trash, clot is trash, we should all quit playing netrunner.

1 Like

Maybe put this in Iain / Leela for fun++ :wink:

I doubt it. That would be very narrow. However, if it doesn’t then I’m with you. It’s a hate card for over-powering agendas that has the potential to take down an entire archtype with it (and in a really unfun way for the player on the receiving end).

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not going to complain too hard. It’ll suck from corp side but rule from runner side, and you still get a lot of benefit from scoring big agendas. Hell, aside from the point switching, makes the Renovations look better and better, to me.

But to take the most pessimistic view of the console I can, there’s a lot that speaks against it, too.

It requires you to be getting in and stealing already to turn on, it doesn’t help get you there. Vigil and Astrolabe get you the cards you need more quickly, Grimoire speeds up Virus installs, and Desperado fuels your economy to keep you getting in. Headphones don’t do any of that.

There’s a pretty hard limit on how many times it’ll trigger. Now, sometimes that trigger might be massive. But a lot of other times it won’t. It’ll be swapping a Beale for a Beale, or an Astro for a Beale, or whatever. So probably not more than 3 times in a game, (as the fourth score ought to win it).

Any scoring you do without it massively decreases the console’s value, so you need to run 3-of to get any real benefit, making it unappealing for splashing given the influence and in-faction options available. Now, early is always better, but a mid-game desperado is still useful. This coming after you’ve scored a couple of agendas… less so, generally. Vigil is much more appealing late in comparison, to draw through to whatever else you need to see or adjust corp handsize for easier access. A game runs long without you seeing anything, likewise, because the number of triggers get spread out.

If they score something small first (a Hostile Takeover, say) and you see a bigger agenda? Effectively, no trigger. If you steal before they’ve scored? Effectively, no trigger. If they spent the counters already – or the agenda has none – and get the same point value in the steal? Effectively, no trigger.

And yeah, it hurts Nisei, Astro, Atlas, Efficiency Committee and Vitruvius all in particular (let’s be honest, how often do you see overadvanced Beales that don’t win the game?), but they can all be used more judiciously once this card hits. Astro out the Beale in your hand to make sure you have it, use EffComm to add time to click for credits if it comes to that, pad your HQ with Vitruvius before they make any given Centrals access.

Because this largely IS a centrals-pressure console, though it has utility against shell game. It makes random accesses scarier, but that’s a part of what Grimoire and Vigil do, too. Grimoire boosts the initial power of Anarch multiaccess, Vigil makes a full HQ beneficial to the runner. It does also make discarding agendas and letting them get taken a bigger loss, but that was almost never an ideal play anyway, and the reasons for it (NAPD tax before midseasons, feeling TFP was safe enough to not use the Jackson on yet) are still valid. Hell, if they take your TFP and swap out your Nisei-with-token you do lose a great piece of setup but you come out a point ahead, at least.

So, for this to be worthwhile, you need to be: Anarch, with enough draw that losing Vigil doesn’t hurt AND to make sure you see it in time, not running a plan better assisted by Grimoire or a splashed Desperado (or whatever else), to hit agendas in the right order, and so on. To be REALLY worth it they also need to score Niseis, Astros, etc., rather than agendas that have an on-score or before-scoring ability. Doesn’t hurt Medical Breakthrough any, either.

Taking the pessimism hat off for a moment, I think it’s a great card and I’ll be glad to try it out – I think it’ll help decks that want to take the time to set up a little by making it more viable to catch up. Also might do fun things with forfeiting agendas, I dunno. But it won’t actually kill that many matchups once people learn to adjust, and it won’t be the right console for a large number of popular/powerful archetypes so there’ll be limited splashing, making it a mostly-Anarch worry.

Glacier decks that I see tend to do the 5/3 as the middle or the last score, when possible. Makes the middle a bit riskier, but not entirely, and doesn’t change capstone scoring at all.

6 Likes

You just need to score your 3 pointer last now in things like RP, Blue Sun when you expect this console. This being a console makes it so you can see it coming, this seems much more fair to me than clot or such. Once they install desperado/grimoire/vigil etc you can feel pretty comfortable playing as normal.

The value of something like domestic sleepers just went way down though haha.

4 Likes

You’re right; on reflection it seems like it takes even less effort to play around than Leela’s ability when it comes to protecting your 5/3s. It still hoses decks that play both 1- and 3-pointers (as if supermodernism needed any more nails in its coffin) but in terms of impact on the top decks, I’ll say I’m optimistic about the headphones. If only we could have gotten it instead of Clot in the valley though.

3 Likes

I’m not sure headphones are actually very good. There’re already a lot of good consoles and it’s a card that you’re installing that doesn’t actually help you steal agendas, just helps when you’ve stolen them.

Even with that taken into account, I think they’re far too situational. There will be games where they do nothing and sure, maybe you’ll swap a HoTay for a GoTay once in a blue moon, but that’s even rarer than GoTay actually being scored.

All in all, I don’t think this card is very good. Seems extremely high variance, and unless agendas the Corp wants to run change vastly, I think it’s far too high variance for competitive play.

Supermodernism’s still alive and kicking. This card is not even that good against them because it sets the runner back (and Supermodernism’s all about being faster than the runner). It’s a card that you’re installing that doesn’t help you keep up pace.

3 Likes

I think in general the best kill decks and players crush Swiss and then struggle (competitive but losing) after the cut. Supermodernism is really fun and destroys even pretty good players when piloted well but against the top 2-3 guys in the room your win rate goes to about 30%. That’s anecdotal but it’s my experience after 30 odd games against a variety of opponents with this style of deck.

4 Likes

I’d wager it’s stronger in the top cut because of fatigue. The deck is one of the strongest (if not the strongest?) in the format if your opponents make lots of small mistakes, as it punishes them usually with the game.

Supermodernism is a top tier deck when piloted correctly and can definitely hold its own against top players (even if they’re not making mistakes). I think there’ll be some videos going up soon showing the Birmingham SC with some good GRNDL games in. Of course, it also came second in the massive 62 player London SC…

2 Likes

Interesting. One side claims it’s trash and another claims it’s top tier. Who to believe?