SanSan Cycle Spoilers

The issue I’ve seen for Supermodernism is that it can be shut down by the quicker runners so long as they play well and keep their resources up. Kate has plenty of draw, Leela can bounce overadvanced Atlases, etc. Furthermore it suffers from all of Weyland’s assorted issues (needing to score to get the econ going, bad pub making later runs too easy, etc.), and from being difficult to play. It’s a taxing deck to run and pulling out the wins after the cut can be difficult.

My roommate Top 8’d the Seattle Regionals last year with Supermodernism, and has toyed with it since, and most of this I’ve gleaned from talking with him about it and playing against him. This doesn’t add up to it being a bad deck by any means, just a difficult one to take all the way, with more cards that hinder it coming out lately than not.

I think Oaktown Renovation might help it some, despite being less swingy econ than Geothermal Fracking, because it’s easier to rush the score and it doesn’t add to the pile of BP Weyland tends to accrue. Similarly, Hollywood Renovation might help to make Space Ice and the like more viable in a rush-focused deck like Supermodernism – though neither of those benefit from Titan Transnational’s bonus, so I dunno if that’s the best plan or not in the end. Could see Argus, BABW, or GRNDL working out decently, Blue Sun Supermodernism always felt a bit weird in comparison to Glacier, but it could be a pretty solid choice too.

2 Likes

I think this console was made for making Noise running midgame.
A lot of times, with a pure milling Noise you would loose the game to FA or corp scoring too fast (and 5/3).
I think this would help Noise.

Agreed. Not sure if he’s on Stimhack, but Iain Reid in the UK is a top drawer Weyland player. I haven’t been to a major OP tournament yet where he hasn’t made the cut and placed top 4. It’s not just about tricking noobs into errors, it’s about forcing the Runner to choose between two crap options (usually either giving away and agenda or making a run they don’t want to make).

It is easier to play around than it used to be, but then there are a whole host of other decks to worry about as well nowadays so you have to spread yourself a bit thinner than you used to have to.

Apart from the fluff, why is it Noise’s console? The dude is about virus’, quite clearly, and Grimoire is about virus’ too.

Because Grimoire’s flavor text clearly states it’s Whizzard’s.

1 Like

Iain is a phenomenal Weyland player (I’m not sure he plays anything else!). It’s telling he, too, has moved from Supermodernism style into more glaciery Blue Sun.

I strongly suspect his success with Supermodernism is down to him being a ridiculously good pilot, rather than the strength of that deck.

2 Likes

Ok, so purely fluff then. Cool. I was thinking like which console is actually best for whoever the runner is. In that case can we agree that MaxX’s is Spinal Modem?!?

You only use 10% of your brain or something anyway.

Nope. That’s a myth. We actually use all of it.

Almost certainly. She clearly gives about -.2 shits about BD, so continuing that theme works for me.

…Does anyone have a console out of faction?

Fisk has Vigil.

3 Likes

Sheesh. Omer. Super super cereal today.

Nice catch, I almost certainly would have missed that.

I want to start a dedicated “fluff” thread, because I really think it’s interesting. I want to know more about all these runners/executives/side characters I’ve rarely seen (like Ele “Smoke” - is she a hacker? Will she be an ID at some point? What about G00ru? He’s all over the place with factions - Corroder, Sneakdoor Beta, I’m sure something in Shaper).

Even people like Elizabeth Mills, Jackson Howard, Midori, and Isabel McGuire are interesting to me.

EDIT2: Previous edit was silly, delete that.

Torch

1 Like

Everyone who isn’t a criminal (and everyone who is) has Desperado.

1 Like

Princess space kitten is another possible runner - mentioned on memstrips and trope

Vigil is clearly Valencias console. Look at the art of vigil and Valencia. The fluff on vigil also fits her theme. Didn’t the booklet in O&C also mention this? Have to check when I come home.

Oh yeah, that’s true. The bag we can see Vigil being pulled out of is Valencia’s bag. Also, the grey bits of the outfit match up with Val’s outfit in her ID.

Vigil is definitely Valencia’s console.

I thought we were talking which consoles belong to who based on on the abilities of the ID and the console?

Of course I know Vigil is Valencia’s, like I know Grimoire is Whizzard’s, but that’s not what we were talking about.

Mmm, Trope is gonna help MaxX, rigth ?

On the one hand, if your stack is small, then choosing what cards to shuffle into your stack is like choosing what cards you’re going to draw next.

On the other hand, MaxX is gonna end up re-burning half the cards you shuffle back in anyway.