SanSan Cycle Spoilers

But seeing as we’re in dreamland anyway, let’s just say you’ve already scored a Utopia Fragment :slight_smile:

What are the thoughts on this?

3 Likes

I think it’s insane that it costs 4 to rez. 2 might have made it somewhat playable and it wouldn’t have been overpowered at 0 cost.

9 Likes

Or not require psi games. Also have FFG forgotten that they’ve just reintroduced yog.0 to the meta?

2 Likes

Why it’s not 4 str…?

You just need to play Encrypted Portals. :wink:

6 Likes

My first thought was - this ICE needs Patch!

1 Like

cost 4 str 3 codegate seems like sadpandas, but maybe that’s just “Thinking with 2013-14” :).

1 Like

There are 4 Code Gates with STR 3

Clairvoyant, Crick, Marker and Viktor 1.0. I’d say Clairvoyant falls pretty flat in comparison to the others, simply considering the effects of the subroutines. It also has the highest rez cost AND you’re going to need to spend credits for the sub to even fire (though using 1 credit to place an advancement counter in RP basically means you gain 1 click next turn, which is nice)

Comparing it to the other 4-cost Code Gates, it also falls flat - Turing, Data Pike and Checkpoint. I can hardly see any situations where this seems like a better card than Data Pike.

Clairvoyant Monitor just isn’t a good card in the current situation, and I don’t see it having much potential later on.

2 Likes

My Nisei Division rush deck loves it.

My Nisei Division rush deck is pretty terrible though.

If it cost 3 we’d be talking.

6 Likes

I just noticed the Monitor uses the same “place” wording as Tennin Institute, perhaps it has a decent place in a ToL deck without forcing that deck to run too many traps or advance-able ice.

ToL is hardly a good card unless you gain something from having the counters, and it still doesn’t stat-wise make Clairvoyant Monitor a good card.

1 Like

I wouldn’t create a gameplan that relies around winning a psi game on a subroutine on a 3 strength code gate.

In fact, I’d imagine the average amount of times the subroutine fires in a game where you’ve got three in your deck is <1.

6 Likes

I can now drop matrix analyzer from my jank (install and advance everything) nisei deck, leaving more room for credit bankruptcy tools.

Deck is now:
3x Wormhole
3x Architect
3x Clairvoyant Monitor
3x Bullfrog

That leaves 3 influence for something to nuke my opponent’s credit pool. So, whirlpool->kitsune->universal connectivity fee ought to do it.

— oh no, it ends the run, damn, still need analyzers.

Overadvance more braintrust.

1 Like

From Spoiler-Ken:

I’m out right now so I don’t have my notes but the NBN barrier should be:

1 to rez
STR 4
-> ETR if the Runner is tagged
-> ETR if the Runner is tagged

And it has art so great that it deserves a playmat pronto.

2 Likes

The motto of House Nisei

4 Likes

Was my motto in RP for a long time. IAA everything. It gets pretty scary when you have 2 braintrusts scored over advanced and a floating Akitaro. Pay for ice? I’d never. 1->Komainu. Gotta imagine Nisei loves it too.

Efficient, maybe not? But it really does have an effect on the runner when your credit pool doesn’t shrink from new ice going up. And it’s a decent defense against econ denial.

Don’t forget neotokyo grid.

Perhaps it’s time it’s upon us in the tournament winning Nisei division deck that will take the world by storm and introduce netrunner to the Japanese, influencing weeaboos everywhere to play the game, unyielding an even larger crowd to play the game leading it to beat magic the gathering as one of the most popular card games in the world? If I could travel to other dimensions, that would be my super power of choice

1 Like

Actually seems pretty solidly interesting. Definitely only good in Making News with all the constant-single-tags options it has, but seems really good there. Two credits less for a unclickable Eli so long as they pick up a tag they can’t shake so easily, or you just hammer them with enough tags they let a few sit. Is indeed much better than TMI for Making News but waaay worse than such for NEH. Same tax for Corroder, one less for Lady, not D4V1Dable, but when you rez it there’s no worries about it staying rezzed.

Don’t know if it’s good enough, but that’s largely a function of “does this MN deck idea even really function?” which isn’t clear at the moment either way. All the tagstorm lists have largely been Midseasons or just better as NEH, but at least there’s some support for MN alone here for those that want to be running it and can’t justify it at all. The “small but meaningful boost to IDs and archetypes that are not presently dominant” seems to be a big theme this cycle.

[quote=“spags, post:1855, topic:2197, full:true”]
What are the thoughts on this?
[/quote]I really want to like it, but I’d have much rather seen it in Breaker Bay or even The Valley, back when people weren’t really playing Yog as much. It’s low tax-value either way, but at least pre-NRE there was more of an excuse.

I feel as though to combat what is seen as a strong Psi ability they ignored one of the things that has traditionally made psi ice good, they’re cheap to rez and quite strong, so the runner has some incentive to let the psi game fire even once they have a breaker out.

If the cost was 2 and the strength 4, I’d be tempted to actually play Nisei division for the dividends this could provide. As-is, as much as I’d love to put it into a variety of decks (even non-Nisei ones, maybe even splashing it out-of-faction) I just can’t justify paying so much for something that I’ll lose to Yog, or even to Gordian with 2 credits.

If the common tax to break is not higher than 2, in all seriousness, why bother playing the psi game at all, as runner? It falls pretty squarely into the “Patch or Encrypted Portals Required” ICE pool, which is, uh… not really the highest praise, alas.

All that said, the ability is pretty great, and I’d love to snag it for a Wormhole or something that could actually make use of it. Would be great for decks that want to run advance-traps, because if you stop them you either get closer to scoring or otherwise grow the threat, and if you don’t, well, you didn’t necessarily want to. It’s just not worth 4 to maybe spend more to advance.

But if cutting the ETR bit (or making it two separate subroutines/games) would’ve let the rez/strength be better, I do wish such had been the case.

Though it makes me wish they’d written BWBI’s ability as “the first time you place an advancement counter on a piece of ICE each turn, gain 1c”. It’s very similar, but actually combos with Kaguya, Builder, Matrix Analyzer, and now this, to say nothing of the upcoming Hollywood Renovation which feels like it SHOULD combo with the Advance-Ice-Heavy BWBI builds but really doesn’t particularly well.

[quote=“cmcadvanced, post:1871, topic:2197”]
Perhaps it’s time it’s upon us in the tournament winning Nisei division deck that will take the world by storm and introduce netrunner to the Japanese, influencing weeaboos everywhere to play the game, unyielding am even larger crowd to play the game leading it to beat magic the gathering as one of the most popular card games in the world? I’d I could travel to other dimensions, that would be my super power of choice
[/quote]I’ve seen some pretty solid Nisei decks, though I believe Eater/Keyhole put the hurt to them. The problem with them has largely (though not ENTIRELY) been a limited suite of Psi cards that are actually seriously worth playing in and of themselves, combined with a general perception of Psi games being purely random.

It’s a solid ID, but the potential variance and the dearth of options you want to take because they’re actually GOOD keep competitive players from running it, particularly because the amount of “mind reading” required becomes tiring at higher levels of play and a smart opponent can notice and overcome any tells you have if they face you a second time (or even during the first game).

See Dan vs. Minh at Worlds, with the whole “he always bids 2c as a tax, I think that’s what he’s doing here” thing. That pattern might be a bit more obvious, and Nisei Division makes it a weirder valuation problem, but that doesn’t mean that there’s no way for a good opponent to pick up on what you’re doing.

EDIT to ramble on more about that NBN Barrier: wondering if, in that sort of deck, a one-of Bandwidth becomes viable. Still remains positional, but getting it in front of a UCF or this or Data Raven or something seems like it could be potentially useful. Shame about parasite, in the end, since the amount you need to have ice that matter after other ice get killed isn’t small at all.

Laying the jankier thing aside though, I really do like it. One of my big issues as NBN is how Wraparound ends up fluctuating so heavily. Early on, or against AI-only decks, it’s great. Later in the game, when tax starts to matter, it does very little. Two Wraparounds and two of this seem like a more secure combination to me, because you get some early-game safety but also have a fairly taxing barrier waiting further on down the line, so wraparound can be somewhat replaced unless you just want to tax Lady or something.

It also continues the “waaay cheaper for me to rez than you to deal with” theme of good NBN ice, which I like. It’s one of the things that makes Gutenberg so good, after all – the whole being able to rez it from very little cost makes adding it to an already-deep server a very minimal cost in an extended game.

If this keeps up, NBN Glacier might become a possibility, so long as a large chunk of that glacier is dedicated to/interested in tagging the shit out of the enemy. Which, y’know, it probably is, all things considered, given that this is NBN, and worst comes to worst Psychographics is a thing.

1 Like

That the ice is actually 6 cost and gets yogged for 5. Worse than Snowflake? Probably.

2 Likes