Sleeve recommendations

I live in Europe as well (Netherlands) and I bought some KMCs for 8.5 euros for 80 in a local store in Eindhoven

GameForce - Store - and search for KMC.

1 Like

I was the same until I tried KMC. TRY IT! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I have tried KMC. Theyā€™re nice, but I prefer Dragon Shields, i think. Mostly because I donā€™t have to go huntign around te dark copies of the internet for them.

dragon shield matte sleeves are just so pleasant to shuffle.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been using FFG clear sleeves for a few years as I like having the card backs showing and Iā€™m not that fussed about using alt art cards. Iā€™ve never had one split and whilst they are a bit slippery when new they break in quite well.

I did get some KMC Hyper Mattes and used those at the UK nationals. I had one split in the second game (good job I had some spares with me). I also found the edges to be a bit sharp and they didnā€™t shuffle noticeably better than the FFG ones. They are a pain to get hold of here in the UK, even as a retailer it isnā€™t easy!

Iā€™ve got some Dragon Shields to compare them against (along with loads of other sleeves which hopefully Iā€™ll eventually do a comparison video of). I need to get some of the new Dragon Shield Mattes in stock and Iā€™m also interested in seeing what the new Ultimate Guard Master sleeves are going to be like, but they keep getting delayed again and againā€¦

I saw someone doublesleeve their art sleeves which effectively eliminated that problem. Probably the route Iā€™d go were I to use art sleeves.

Yeah, I might do that, but sleeves for sleeves are a massive pain in the butt.

2 Likes

Dragon shield clear sleeves as I like the card backs but it also means I canā€™t use the promo cards. Oh well.

So really FFG needs to have Dragon Shield make matte versions of the netrunner card backs.

3 Likes

I think before KMC came out with hyper matte, they were about on par with Dragon Shields. The main difference was that Dragon Shields were a little more of a pain to play with but last essentially forever. Now that KMC hyper mattes are available, though, I feel like itā€™s crazy to play with anything else. Theyā€™re very nearly as sturdy as Dragon Shields but just worlds better to handle and shuffle.

3 Likes

All you people who match the faction to the color sleeves are crazy. I need some contrast in my life. Brown for NBN, Green for anarch, purple for shaper, etc.

1 Like

I used to do that, but then I just got hundreds of purple sleeves and itā€™s a million times easier.

Speaking of which, considering the extremely positive recommendations on this thread I ordered some purple KMC Hyper MATs myself.

3 Likes

Another one here reporting for the KMC Hyper MAT party bus. Great sleeves, very happy with them.

Iā€™m really interested to hear how the new Dragon Shield Matte sleeves are.

1 Like

I ordered matt black and green DS sleeves today, should be here wednedsay, will let you know although my previous sleeves have all been ultra proā€™s so at this point everything is an improvement.

Iā€™m a sleeve addict. I love Ultra Pros because of their front, not their back. Hyper MATs are great and durable. I never liked the regular Dragon Shields.

My winner, though? Dragon Shieldā€™s Matted backs. AFAIK theyā€™re fairly new, but are my favorite sleeve, period. They are more detailed on the back than Hyper MATS and feel incredibly crisp. I canā€™t play with anything else now.

1 Like

The one thing that drives me crazy about sleeves is how you order two identical packages (same maker, same type, same color), open them, and while both packages contain a set of sleeves cut identically, when you take three sleeves from the one pack and shuffle it into the other, you can see how one of them is shorter by about half a millimeter. Drives me nuts, really disturbs me when shuffling the cards, and could actually be considered ā€œmarkingā€ the cards.

Ultra Pros seem to be particularly prone to this, but Iā€™ve had this happen with Dragon Shields as well. Anyone else experiencing this?

2 Likes

KMCs are the smoothest shuffle Iā€™ve ever felt, and I canā€™t recall ever splitting one, but I switched to Dragon Shields because of visibility. KMCs are freaking dirt magnets. After about a month of regular use they get really clouded and dingy. Granted, Iā€™m a pretty aggressive mash shuffler, so that might be part of it too.

KMC perfect fits are amazing and everyone should use them unless they like making really big decks. Theyā€™re especially good for cards like Jacksons that get switched between decks constantly.

This is common. Inconsistencies in manufacturing will cause things like this to happen. Some brands have it worse than others.

Also jumping on to agree that i love the KMC hypers. Got the recommendation from a youtube series about MTG sleeves (since they fit netrunner cards as well).

The only sleeves I have seen that feel good after extended use with a glossy/art back are these raven style ones from Legion (i think), which have kept their nice shuffle feel after some time being used as my wifeā€™s EDH deck. Others from the same brand donā€™t feel the same for some reason, just those.

Legion. The only way to go. Never split, and last for months even playing in several tournaments per month.

Youā€™re talking about the ones with the quote from Poe, right? I can attest to those. I picked them up for my 40k Conquest Eldar deck, because I felt the brooding nature of the poem matched the Eldar well. I expected them to be gloss, and I was pleasantly surprised to find they have a matte texture on both sides, and the cards just feel really solid when in those sleeves.

I remember when I first started playing card games with the Star Trek CCG some 20 years ago, the only thing that was really around were the standard glossy Ultra-Pro sleeves. As someone with both high myopia AND a lot of astigmatism, I canā€™t stand gloss-fronted sleeves. Nothing worse than being unable to concentrate because youā€™re distracted by what looks like a sea of glass on your side of the table, and the glare makes it nearly impossible to read the cards when theyā€™re actually on the table.

I might investigate KMC HyperMat, due to Danā€™s celebrity endorsement, but so far Iā€™m still a big fan of Ultra-Pro Pro Mattes. Primarily because matte sleeves are the bomb, and because they come in tons of colors (Iā€™m one of those OCD types who like to color-code their decks) and are pretty cheap at our store due to a hefty discount. Also, I usually slide/pile shuffle, and donā€™t ever riffle shuffle my cards, so they seem to hold up pretty well for me. Plus, the holographic dot isnā€™t as annoying to me as it is to some folks because after 20 years, I consider it an old friend! LOL

Anyway, this is an interesting discussion thatā€™s a bit different from the standard fareā€¦ Itā€™s like weā€™re PGA guys talking golf clubs or something!

1 Like