Sleeve recommendations

I’ll throw in as another one or Dragon Shields, although I have to say the FFG solid color sleeves are pretty damn good for not a lot of money. Never tried KMC.

1 Like

Almost certainly and another reason im moving away from ultra’s. Iv noticed a different grain of matting between the ultra backs and i have the exact same fear of playing with them competitively.

Exactly these. I have tried other Legion sleeves and they don’t retain their feel after a month or so of some play.

I have given up on glossy or art sleeves because I mash shuffle and everything i’ve tried (except the raven sleeves and KMC hypers) have started to stick or otherwise lose their shuffle feel (if they even had a good feel to start). If you pile shuffle or riffle I suspect non KMCs would work fine.

Ultra Pro really seems to have a lot of manufacturing issues. I got them when I first started playing and they were decent (and the lowest price of fitted matte sleeves). But about 8 months ago, the backs of the sleeves of each new pack had a little dimple that matched up to the hologram logo on the front (from both online store and local stores). If I mixed my old set of sleeves with new sets, I would have marked cards :fearful:

Since, then I switched to KMC HyperMat sleeves (I didn’t consider Drago Shield because they didn’t have matte sleeves at the time). They are so much better. In over 6 months of use, I’ve old had one split, which seems to be like 20-50x less than Ultra Pro. They shuffle really well.

are you comparing to dragon shields in general or the dragon shield mattes?

i haven’t tried the hyper mats yet, but the dragon shield mattes have a much better shuffle feel than the regular dragon shield sleeves.

as for sleeves in general, i point you guys to this video series

2 Likes

I have the cube sleeved in ultra pros, so when I build my decks they also end up being in ultra pros, and yeah, they are super bad with their consistency. I have two different shades of green sleeves and for my white ones, fifty half a mm too wide, fifty with a 1mm crimp across the bottom, and fifty that are quite concave on the clear side; all very noticeable looking at a deck side-on. Big hassle to make sure my decks aren’t marked. Not to mention the corners last approximately 2 nanoseconds before creasing.

I’ve got a magic deck sleeved in kmc hypermattes, which I play a little more than once a month since last summer, and 2 have split of the original 80 in that time (no corner damage either). Those things are indestructible.

I actually had no idea DS came out with mattes, and thus have no opinion on them.

KMC Hyper MATs. Less than US$3.50 in Japan.

1 Like

Leaving this here.

6 Likes

I really like the new Dragon Shield Mattes. Have a great shuffle feel, and are easily available at my FLGS in packs of 100. Had a bit of an issue with my White Mattes (they weren’t cut properly and had a few hanging chads), but nothing 5 minutes with a pair of nail clippers couldn’t solve.

1 Like

I’m actually interested in what dice you use, haha. Your’s seem rather fancy!

They’re from a Warhammer 40k event that I attended when I was in high school, 10 or so years ago, maybe some sort of anniversary event? I like them a lot, I just wish they had made yellow ones as well.

1 Like

As a tabletop gamer myself, I need to see those dice

KMC Hyper Mat train here too. Like the others I tried most sleeves both for Netrunner/CCG/LCG as well as table top games, and the Hyper Mats are by far the best imo. Some people here say that they attract dirt, I think that may be the regular Mats (?), which I used previously and they show dirty and grease, like regular grease from fingers, so, not optimal.

Red for Runner blue for Corp, easier to switch cards between, I just leave an empty sleeve in the deck with a slip of the cards name that is missing for easy switching. No need to swap sleeves, just trade the slip sleeve for the real card sleeve and you are good to go woth the next deck and you will never forget which cards to swap either.

2 Likes

Anyone on the KMC Hyper Mat train that double sleeves? How does it change the feel of the cards/protectors?

Triple sleeve to protect those second sleeves!

3 Likes

I tried double sleeves with perfect fit swan panasia in KMC hypermat, it works, but I don’t like how much bigger the deck gets. So I am back down to single sleeves with KMC. Since I switched to KMC I barely destroy sleeves anymore. Down to about one sleeve in three tournaments or so. There was a bit of a hassle to get them for a while in Germany but that time has hopefully past.

Was there any benefit to doublesleeving? Other than “super protecting” the cards. Does it feel better because it’s more rigid, for example?

Protect your sleeves from tearing. So you sleeve your sleeves, and then sleeve those, until one card is as big as tower MaXxs deck size

1 Like

I’m not sure you understand how double sleeving works :smile: