I've played 60+ games with a Tennin deck that's primarily FA. Going to Boston regionals soon but no tournament reports yet, just a 36-3 record on OCTGN for what little that's worth.
Do you have any stats on how much you actually trigger your Tennin power? I have a median of 7 tokens from Tennin and a median game length of 15 Corp turns, and that's with devoting 100% of my resources to preventing successful central runs.
Intuitively, spreading our your ICE over a remote also means you'll get even fewer tokens, at which point you might as well play RP.
Here's my current list. Typical scoring is three Tricked 3/2s and a Clone Retirement, but I don't hesitate to rush out a NAPD or MB behind a cheap remote like Caprice + Quandary + Eli if I see an opportunity.
Greased Lightning 1.5 (49 cards)
Tennin Institute: The Secrets Within
2 Clone Retirement
3 Medical Breakthrough
2 NAPD Contract
1 Philotic Entanglement
2 Jackson Howard
3 Caprice Nisei
2 Archived Memories
3 Celebrity Gift
3 Hedge Fund
3 Trick of Light
3 Eli 1.0
3 Ice Wall
1 Wall of Static
Code Gate (6)
Main changes from Chicago list:
I have to say the Chicago list didn't work at all for me. I felt constantly poor, and if my opponents were aware of Inazuma there's no way to land a destroyer hit. The matchup against Security Testing was terrible with 6 dead cards in the deck and many cheap gearcheck ICE that could be run through at a profit. I changed it a lot to fit my play style:
- More economy - Celebrity Gift is too good not to play and you can Archived it for a pseudo-Melange.
- Mix of gearcheck and taxing ICE - the original was essentially 9 gearcheck and 6 destroyers. Once they started getting in, unless you nailed them with a destroyer your ICE was done. This has chunkier ICE that costs to get in even late game.
- Cut Shi Kyu - they are terrible against Security Testing and also take money away from rezzing ICE. While the Shocks are also terrible against Security Testing, at least they do something in R&D and in non-Criminal matchups.
- Cut Swordsman - it does nothing in your worst matchup (Andysucker) and most of the time Katman can answer it with instant Parasite or just Clone Chip the Atman back.
- Cut Nisei MK II - too hard to score, NAPD is much safer to risk in a remote when the opponent is low on credits.
- Cut Rototurret - it instantly to Parasite even if you put Inazuma in front of it, and everyone has a killer against Jinteki anyway. Eli is an all-around better use of influence.
Advantages over NBNFA or HBFA
- 3x Caprice. On HQ this prevents the majority of Siphons and anybody without Sneakdoor is going to just give up on HQ.
- There are few good answers to a 6+ STR Ice Wall. Often it gets Femmed which is good value for you.
- Unlike HB (pre-Domestic Sleepers), you get to play a 2/1, which I score in the majority of my games.
- With your tokens you can score a 3/2 or 4/2 for $2, which is even less than a Biotic + SFSS.
- Subliminal is good but hard to find space.
- Biotic is good too as a backup for the ToL, but influence is tight.
- Komainu is either great or useless depending on the amount of instant Parasites. Could be Tsurugi or Pup or something else?
- Interns is another nice to have. Often I want a 4th ICE on R&D late game, or to recur Caprice.
- Grim loses value against good players, but I do want minimum 5 ICE that beat fixed breakers.